School me on drum heads

Motor Boater

I want to buy some new black drum heads for my toms. Seems like there is a lot of options out there. I haven't had a drum set in ten years so I don't know whats good right now. Who makes the best drum head these days? Within reason....my son plays them also so Im not trying to buy the most expensive thing out there. Im sure I will go with Evans or Remo but what models are good. Thanks for the help.

There are no "good" drumheads (Thats because they're all good, just for different applications). For the most part your Remos, Evans, Aquarians and Attacks will all be pretty much equal in quality (and, more-or-less, price), so you can't really go wrong. Color shouldn't be the deciding factor for heads (sound should be). That said, if you are dead set on black heads, Remo has a two different types but they have some sound differences between them.

The Ebony is, as far as I can tell, just a black version of a standard smooth type head. I'm guessing that they'd be very similar to clear heads from a sound perspective. http://www.remo.com/portal/products/3/8/51/ds_ebony.html

Black Suede is kinda of different. I owned one of these. It's not the same thing as a coated head (like you commonly find on a snare drum) but it's similar. It kinda has a texture to it. Seems to be a bit warmer than a clear head.http://www.remo.com/portal/products/3/8/51/ds_ebony.html

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
There are no "good" drumheads (Thats because they're all good, just for different applications). For the most part your Remos, Evans, Aquarians and Attacks will all be pretty much equal in quality (and, more-or-less, price), so you can't really go wrong. Color shouldn't be the deciding factor for heads (sound should be). That said, if you are dead set on black heads, Remo has a two different types but they have some sound differences between them.

The Ebony is, as far as I can tell, just a black version of a standard smooth type head. I'm guessing that they'd be very similar to clear heads from a sound perspective. http://www.remo.com/portal/products/3/8/51/ds_ebony.html

Black Suede is kinda of different. I owned one of these. It's not the same thing as a coated head (like you commonly find on a snare drum) but it's similar. It kinda has a texture to it. Seems to be a bit warmer than a clear head.http://www.remo.com/portal/products/3/8/51/ds_ebony.html

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info, its very helpful. Anyone else have any takes?

Go to the Evans website and view the samples of all of their heads and listen to them.
Evans has a great site with accurate descriptions and sound samples.

Aquarian and Remo also have great sites with lots of info.

I use heads from all three of these manufacturers.
It depends on what sound I am after and which kit I am playing.

[I want to buy some new black drum heads for my toms. Seems like there is a lot of options out there. I haven't had a drum set in ten years so I don't know whats good right now. Who makes the best drum head these days? Within reason....my son plays them also so Im not trying to buy the most expensive thing out there. Im sure I will go with Evans or Remo but what models are good. Thanks for the help.]
Hmm. Remo Ebony heads. Why black??? And what drums are you using and type of wood? These all impact good head selection. I'm personally a fan of remo pinstripe on the toms, powerstroke3 on bass, and coated controlled sound snares or just coated. Hope that helped.

For my style of playing Aquarian last 2 to 3 times longer than the others and can usually be had for less money than the others as well. Stores like music 123 have free shipping within the USA and can be found on ebay.com and on amazon.com

Hmm. Remo Ebony heads. Why black??? And what drums are you using and type of wood? These all impact good head selection. I'm personally a fan of remo pinstripe on the toms, powerstroke3 on bass, and coated controlled sound snares or just coated. Hope that helped.

I've got a set of Pearl EX and they are all black with black hardware. The only reason I want black heads is because Im a nerd and want the set to look cool...stupid I know. I just figured you could probably get any good head in black also. I know I don't have the best set of drums in the world and I don't even know what wood they are made of but I've always thought you could make any set of drums sound decent with a good head and tune. Thanks for the info!

I've got a set of Pearl EX and they are all black with black hardware. The only reason I want black heads is because Im a nerd and want the set to look cool...stupid I know. I just figured you could probably get any good head in black also. I know I don't have the best set of drums in the world and I don't even know what wood they are made of but I've always thought you could make any set of drums sound decent with a good head and tune. Thanks for the info!

Hey anytime,
keep in mind there are times where you need to sacrifice looks for sound. Goodluck.

All I can add is that you are going to have an expensive learning curve.

I personally use Evans Onyx heads.

Some nice tones from them! :)

Go to Drum Gear, Heads and Sticks, and read until your eyes fall out.

Back