Took a bite from an Apple

It's a subjective opinion. Many people think Apple products are great, and are eager to make a fashion statement with a computer. I think that is silly - it's just a computer. This blog post sums it up about as well as I could:

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/30/39-apple-products/

Okay, thank you for the clarification. Based on your statement "they really do suck," I assumed you knew of an objective flaw that existed in Apple products. Now I understand that you were simply stating your opinion.

By the way, that article has some good points, but it suffers from sounding like a butt-hurt Windows lover wrote it (maybe someone said he wasn't creative). The stereotypes in the article, just like all stereotypes, are rarely true. Furthermore, I would like to point out that liking Macs better than PCs because of the operating system is a legitimate reason for choosing Apple products. It is for that reason that I use a Mac.

A long time ago, I preferred macs over pc's. I think that was mostly limited to the days back when it was really the only usable graphical desktop OS, though. For me, the mac way of working on a computer is very counter-intuitive, and I always felt restricted by the OS and it's lack of available software, let alone the apple tax on what is now fairly standard intel pc hardware.

I dunno. Just seems like nearly every time I use an apple product, I get frustrated in a hundred little ways. I suppose that's likely the case for mac fans using a pc, too.

In over three years of heavy use of about 5 hours a day my Mac has never even hiccuped!
I have processed many hours of video on it. I have watched many hundreds of hours of YouTube vids. I have dropped it. I slam on the keys when I type like a metal drummer.
It doesn't catch viruses. No need to run anti malware software.
This is the only computer that I have used that hasn't pissed me off. Ever!
Even the battery hasn't failed yet.
The online help support is the best there is when I have a question. There is always an answer. It's kind of like Drummerworld! :)
If I run into a situation where my Mac can't do something because I need software my Mac always directs me to a site where I can obtain what I need.

Like my signature says, "It works for me"

I'm glad to know that after using a Dell and a Gateway, both windows of course that now that I have chosen Apple for the last 6 years or so, that I am a ... brainwashed Apple sheep...

And that my reason for buying Apple is to make a "fashion statement" The same exact words DMC used the last time he slammed Apple in a thread. And the only "concrete" evidence he can use to back up his argument is a silly blog about the "silly things white people do" Again the 7th grade mentality shines through. Look at the growth of Apple in the field, the overwhelming success of the iPhone the iPods, iTunes and without a doubt the best tablet, iPad, on the market, and the number of sheep is growing. The public is tired of inferior products. Products like Dell, Gateway, HP et. al. that buy a second party operating system, that they have no control over, are on the decline. It is a slow decline but none the less a decline. As I said before if you don't like Apple, then don't buy it. The line will be that much shorter the next time one of their great products come out as you are sitting home trying to get rid of your current virus or paying 30.00 a year to MacAfee for your virus protection. I work at a hospital and see Doctors, service reps, vendor reps and others using iPads to chart patients, order products, and control inventory and vendor recalls. I have yet to see anyone carrying any other brand of tablet through the hallways. The reason. THEY JUST WORK.

and this out today. Microsoft now wants a piece of the pie. Better get on board.
According to sources, the tech giant is actively working on adapting its popular software suite for Apple’s tablet. With the iPad making up over 80 percent of the tablet market and millions of people worldwide using Office, that could mean big bucks for the tech giant based in Redmond, Wash.

The public is tired of inferior products. Products like Dell, Gateway, HP et. al. that buy a second party operating system, that they have no control over, are on the decline. It is a slow decline but none the less a decline.
I have seen seasoned PC users buy these computers from Dell etc,
They take them home and "Flatten" them.
They then install just the Windows operating system without the extra crap software.
This voids the warranty but the PC works well without all of the third party junk in it.

I'm glad to know that after using a Dell and a Gateway, both windows of course that now that I have chosen Apple for the last 6 years or so, that I am a ... brainwashed Apple sheep...

And that my reason for buying Apple is to make a "fashion statement" The same exact words DMC used the last time he slammed Apple in a thread. And the only "concrete" evidence he can use to back up his argument is a silly blog about the "silly things white people do" Again the 7th grade mentality shines through. Look at the growth of Apple in the field, the overwhelming success of the iPhone the iPods, iTunes and without a doubt the best tablet, iPad, on the market, and the number of sheep is growing. The public is tired of inferior products. Products like Dell, Gateway, HP et. al. that buy a second party operating system, that they have no control over, are on the decline. It is a slow decline but none the less a decline. As I said before if you don't like Apple, then don't buy it. The line will be that much shorter the next time one of their great products come out as you are sitting home trying to get rid of your current virus or paying 30.00 a year to MacAfee for your virus protection. I work at a hospital and see Doctors, service reps, vendor reps and others using iPads to chart patients, order products, and control inventory and vendor recalls. I have yet to see anyone carrying any other brand of tablet through the hallways. The reason. THEY JUST WORK.

and this out today. Microsoft now wants a piece of the pie. Better get on board.
According to sources, the tech giant is actively working on adapting its popular software suite for Apple’s tablet. With the iPad making up over 80 percent of the tablet market and millions of people worldwide using Office, that could mean big bucks for the tech giant based in Redmond, Wash.

Yes, but how are you going to display your creativity and uniqueness when everyone has an Apple?

You are right about one thing: I don't like Apple and I don't buy it. And I don't buy all the marketing hype. My Windows and Android-based computers work just fine. I guess I'm just a creative iconoclast like that!

Okay, thank you for the clarification. Based on your statement "they really do suck," I assumed you knew of an objective flaw that existed in Apple products. Now I understand that you were simply stating your opinion.

By the way, that article has some good points, but it suffers from sounding like a butt-hurt Windows lover wrote it (maybe someone said he wasn't creative). The stereotypes in the article, just like all stereotypes, are rarely true. Furthermore, I would like to point out that liking Macs better than PCs because of the operating system is a legitimate reason for choosing Apple products. It is for that reason that I use a Mac.

Actually, a trendy, hip white Apple user wrote it! Otherwise it would not be so spot-on.

You aren't making any friends with this stance of yours. Like what you like, and let others like what they like. This is something I am slowly learning from being on these sites. It is not worth all the drama. Really. :)

What would you expect customer service to do? If the data is gone, it's gone. In the end it's the user's responsibility to back it up in the first place. This is the way it is with all computers and electronic devices.

You make it sound like some kind of malfunction. It wasn't. ITunes deliberately erased all the data we purchased, without any warning. That's what many viruses do!

Curious how when Apples crash, erase, blow up or otherwise crap out, people bend over forwards to make excuses for them, or blame the user for Apple product actions. Not me! I have high expectations of the electronic tools I use. Among them, their software won't deliberately erase files without warning.

Yes, but how are you going to display your creativity and uniqueness when everyone has an Apple?

You are right about one thing: I don't like Apple and I don't buy it. And I don't buy all the marketing hype. My Windows and Android-based computers work just fine. I guess I'm just a creative iconoclast like that!

I display my creativity within the computer using programs...and a quality built in camera...
Step 1 face computer camera toward drum set
Step 2 open iMovie HD (comes standard btw) switch to record now and set audio to "auto compress"

Step 3 take video and adjust contrast , saturation , and exposure to my "original" preference

Step 4 drop audio in GarageBand to compress a bit more and also put a parametric EQ o. The mid low end, to really being our that birch sounding kick, also drop a top shelf filter to get rid of ringing sound.

Step 5 click "share" then "YouTube" and poof, off it goes synced edited, with whatever video effects I wanted, straight to my YouTube account...I can shoot edit and post a drum video in under 10 minutes...that's a Mac for u, gets out of the way so I can get shit done!!

Which is http://www.youtube.com/thezachhopper if you wanna see the proof.. Now where is your "windows" made YouTube page full of videos with decent titles and transitions...also don't forget the programs half to be out of th box installed and free...since that won't happen due to "windows movie maker" being a joke with faulty code, I'll say it can be a download but still has to be free. Shoot edit post and drop the link in 10 min.

I happily use windows due to it's compatability with everywhere I go. I use office at university on Win 7 and the same on my laptop at home.

I'd love an Apple for the (IMHO) better software for recording, editing, graphics etc. But as I am also a heavy gamer, Windows still holds it for me.

That and it's cheaper.

Yeah I pay out for Norton, and I have other anti-viruses on here that I wouldn't need with an Apple, but that doesn't matter to me.

I find it amusing how everyone bitches about Windows and it's constant crashing or the like. I heavily mod games and play around with the settings of PC's and laptops, I've grown up with a PC (I'm 19; one of the wonderful "tech" generation) since 1995 and I've never had a blue screen, or an error so bad I've had to call someone else. I've always been able to fix anything that happens.

I find it amusing how everyone bitches about Windows and it's constant crashing or the like. I heavily mod games and play around with the settings of PC's and laptops, I've grown up with a PC (I'm 19; one of the wonderful "tech" generation) since 1995 and I've never had a blue screen, or an error so bad I've had to call someone else. I've always been able to fix anything that happens.

I will happily grant you that I have had no issue with Windows 7. None at all. I think it's a good operating system and I quite like using it; although there are things I would change. I use Ultimate 64 on my Macbook Pro and have done for about a year. Not regularly but occasionally. I have no major complaints and I like what Microsoft have done with Windows 7.

OS X 10.7 'Lion' isn't perfect. There are things I would change and I don't think the App Store program is particularly well written (or useful). iTunes I find bloated but generally works well and when I had an issue with a movie I downloaded a few weeks ago ('Some Like it Hot' if you're interested) and I couldn't re-download, I emailed customer services and within two hours had sent me a special link and the problem was fixed - although it was originally an iTunes problem; it's not perfect.

I do find Lion works better for my day-to-day use than Windows 7. I've also used (and liked) various Linux flavours and although Ubuntu can be a bit of a hassle it works well mostly.

I have, in the past however, had some really deep underlying issues with Microsoft software.

We used to have Windows 95 (many years ago) and it was quite unstable. BSOD quite often and frequent spontaneous restarts. NT4 was good (I used it at school) but was never compatible with anything. XP started badly and got a lot better after SP2 - before that it was unstable and buggy and very easily susceptible to malware (from running by default as a root user - big mistake and this was fixed in Vista). Vista started badly too and unfortunately was promoted to run on hardware that it should have never been intended for.

I always used to worry about the 'Vista Compatible' stickers on laptops because that meant that Vista would just about run. On my brother's PC (an expensive one!) Vista runs just fine but the minimum hardware requirements should have been much more stringent.

Windows 7 has solved most of these issues. No problems.

In the equivalent time, I haven't had any problems with an instance of OS X. I've used 10.3 a bit, 10.4 a lot, 10.5 a fair amount and have extensive experience of 10.6 and 10.7. They've mostly been improvements (I think 10.6 was the best all-around) but I've never run the operating system and run into genuine, real frustration. Apple have consistently put out well-polished software that's free of many major bugs (of course, many smaller ones still exist). Microsoft have regularly put out software and then had to put out major 'service packs' to make them palatable and stable.

This is partly because of Apple's vertical integration (system, hardware and marketing) allowing for relatively easy system compatibility. Microsoft have a much harder time of it because they have to allow compatibility with dozens of hardware manufacturers and inevitably cannot test some configurations properly. This was much more of an issue in the past and Microsoft have addressed it well in recent years. Windows 95 and 98 were terrible for this particularly, as was Vista. The less said about ME, the better.

So where do I lie? Well, I've made it clear that I'm a daily Mac user and have been since 2006. I prefer using OS X for day-to-day tasks and the software I use for daily productivity is very stable and simple. I use Logic Pro 8, Max 5 (also available for Windows with less community support) and Apple's Office Suite (which is very decent and I think more elegant than MS Office). If I didn't have these things available to me, I would use the Windows 7 equivalents. I'd probably be fairly happy too.

With that said, there is little on the hardware side (that is significantly cheaper) that is as impressive as Apple's overall package. The build quality is excellent. The industrial design is superb. The specifications are generally lower than the price equivalent Windows PC but that rarely takes into account the quality of the display - which is absolutely top-notch. The screen on my Dad's 21.5 iMac is just beautiful and would easily be £500 if bought as a monitor. The 15.6" screen on my Macbook Pro is fantastic and I value a good display over a couple of hundred MHz personally.

I'll also say that Apple's customer service has also always been superb. A couple of years ago my Dad had a problem with his old (2006) iMac. The display was malfunctioning. Although the computer was years out of warranty Apple acknowledged that there had been a fault with his batch and it was repaired free of charge even though the machine was four years old at the time.

The nearest equivalent to this experience I can think of would be buying a good Vaio laptop or a top-end Lenovo. I love Sony's laptops and I think Lenovo (and IBM, before them) make great machines (although on the Lenovo I couldn't swap the keyboard out for Dvorak like I do usually). I have a 1998 IBM laptop (that a forum member gave to me, actually) that is very impressive for a machine of its age. Beautifully made and I know that Sony and Lenovo still make laptops like that when you pay serious money.

With that said, if I'm paying over £1,000 on a computer I'd rather take the OS I prefer all else being equal. I prefer OS X although I will acknowledge that Windows 7 is a very good OS. My experience with Apple's Customer Services has always been highly positive and that also adds a great deal of value.

I learned how to right click on my track pad yesterday. I was getting frustrated without a right click. Life is good again. The track pad is a beautiful thing for those thinking about one. The only thing I have to move is my fingers. This whole thing is beautifully designed.

The Magic Trackpad is a thing of beauty. I want one for my iMac but cannot justify the expense at the moment.

If you guys are on a Mac and want to change some of the gestures, I'm going to suggest a small application called 'Better Touch Tool' that lets you program your own gestures into the track pad and for individual programs.

For instance, in Safari if I want to open a new tab I swipe up with four fingers. If I want to close, I swipe down with four fingers. I have other gestures built in to my system like this and although Lion has some gestures having control like this can make life much easier.

http://blog.boastr.net/

Honestly one of the most useful apps I've ever used. Takes some configuration but it's excellent if you want a little more control over gestures.

The Magic Trackpad is a thing of beauty. I want one for my iMac but cannot justify the expense at the moment.

If you guys are on a Mac and want to change some of the gestures, I'm going to suggest a small application called 'Better Touch Tool' that lets you program your own gestures into the track pad and for individual programs.

For instance, in Safari if I want to open a new tab I swipe up with four fingers. If I want to close, I swipe down with four fingers. I have other gestures built in to my system like this and although Lion has some gestures having control like this can make life much easier.

http://blog.boastr.net/

Honestly one of the most useful apps I've ever used. Takes some configuration but it's excellent if you want a little more control over gestures.
Sounds cool. I will give it a try. Not sure about the rest of the world, but last Friday, Apple had most of their products on sale for what I think was the first time ever. We got 101 dollars off of the iMac, 50 off of the iPad, 15 or 20 off of peripherals like the trackpad, and keyboards. It wasn't a huge savings, but every little bit helps. You should of seen the systems going out of that one store. What recession.

You make it sound like some kind of malfunction. It wasn't. ITunes deliberately erased all the data we purchased, without any warning. That's what many viruses do!

Curious how when Apples crash, erase, blow up or otherwise crap out, people bend over forwards to make excuses for them, or blame the user for Apple product actions. Not me! I have high expectations of the electronic tools I use. Among them, their software won't deliberately erase files without warning.

I could argue with you all day on how to actually use itunes, ipods, macs PCs, Android, whatever, and not lose you stuff. But I don't have that kind of energy. However my orignal point still stands. Back your stuff up, then back it up again. Even if you have all the faith in the world of your devices, Murphy's law does exist and you could lose it in the blink of an eye.

It amazes me the extent that people will go to justify not doing this. Especially in this day in age where digital data grows more and more important every minute.

Last edited:

You do know that with most computer errors (no matter if on an apple or a windows pc) the reason for the error sits in front of the screen, right?

You do know that with most computer errors (no matter if on an apple or a windows pc) the reason for the error sits in front of the screen, right?

We call that a ID-10t error usually.

Back