For the gigging drummers, what is your last song?

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Like at the end of the night, does your band have a certain song that you always end with?

My trio kinda sorta does...The Kingsmen's version of "Louie Louie"...because at the end, the lyric repeats, "We gotta go, we gotta go now"...It's a great segue into saying something like...'Yea we really do have to go now...it's been great, blah blah blah..." Of course there can be an encore if insisted on by the crowd, but lately this has been our official last song.

How about your band?

Last edited:
I wanna be your dog. But we changed it. We run it through at half time, with kinda big beats at 60bpm. Then, with a huge scream from the frontman, it bursts onto full speed for the second time round on something like the normal groove and finishes off on a 1/4 note snare Motown beat crash-ride frenzy. Our audience loves it

Maybe it would be best if everyone lists not only the song title, but the original band that does it...

Liebe, who does "I wanna be your dog"? I may know it, but I'm not sure.

We change them around, but we always bring out the cheese numbers to end the night. I suppose the most frequent ending number is "Born to be wild". We do have a couple of staple diet encore numbers too, usually ending with "rocking in the free world".

It's usually the last song written on the gig list :)

... which varies according to the gig, the style being played, the type of audience and the venue.

We end with breaking the law by Judas Preist, our singer at the end hits a ridiculous scream and we have siren style lights going all over the stage and bar with siren sound effects triggered with the music. The song ends on a dime and the stage lights all cut to black.

The trio/quartet I play with really don't have one but I have recently been pushing for a 'last song'.

Something like 'Cold Duck Time' by Eddie Harris or Nat Adderley's 'Work Song' would be cool.

Depending on the crowd, either Heroes by David Bowie or Loch Lomond (the Runrig version- almost obligatory in Scotland in the tourist season). In one of the bars we play in, the manager always shows the video to Heroes on the TV screens when we play it- it's rather effective.

the strictly cover band I play with does a bunch of innocuous/obligatory pop & rock songs spanning the '60s through today. We try to make each song a crowd favorite, and danceable if the want to (they usually do!) The setlist is put together somewhat strategically, but in the 2+ years I've been in the band, the last song is always Joy To The World. Everyone always dances to it, and they always ask for more.

Bermuda

Don't Stop Believing ends every cover band evening.

Usually the African marimba band ends with Skokiana or Manhanga.

The A capella quartet ends with Brahm's Lullaby.

The Vaudevillian circus act ends with Sunny Side of the Street.

The other band has no set ending song.

the strictly cover band I play with does a bunch of innocuous/obligatory pop & rock songs spanning the '60s through today. We try to make each song a crowd favorite, and danceable if the want to (they usually do!) The setlist is put together somewhat strategically, but in the 2+ years I've been in the band, the last song is always Joy To The World. Everyone always dances to it, and they always ask for more.

Bermuda

out of curiosity

does Als band have a common closer ?

I can't remember what you guys closed with when I saw you

In my main band we often end with Medley #2 from Abbey Road - "And in the end - the love you take is equal to the love you make.".

These songs will be played in nursing homes everywhere in 15 years. Could be the next wave of gigging opportunities.

Stooges are good for closing - one of my old bands used to either finish or encore with I'm Bored. Otherwise a punked up Boots (Nancy Sinatra).

When the current band plays an occasional gig it will either be Little Wing or Sunshine of Your Love - our big guitar numbers haha. Also closed with I Put A Spell on You.

Surf band: The Wedge
Classic rock band #1: Before You Accuse Me
Classic rock band #2: Brown Sugar

We switch it around but lately it has been Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd. a nice long balad for everyone to finish dancing to and we add a big ending to it.

Back