Acoustic/Electronic Kits

dusted_drummer

Hey Guys,

Here's a couple of pics from the incorporation of my acoustic and electronic kits to make a "Franken-Kit".

The acoustic kit is a Yamaha Birch Custom with a Pork Pie Cherry Bubinga Snare.
Cymbals are mainly Paiste Signatures
The electronic pads are from the Alesis DM10 Studio kit and the 8 pad Midi Controller is the Alesis Control Pad with the iPad running Beatmaker 2 as it's Brain.
There is also a Roland TD10K trigger on the bass drum which can be switched between using the A/B pedal.
The outputs of the DM10 are then put through the Line6 M5 effects pedal.

Would love to see other peoples kits like this and your thought on this.

Cheers

Attachments

• Franken-1.jpg
    Franken-1.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 518
  • Franken-2.jpg
    Franken-2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 512
Very nice- looks like you've got the best of both world's there.
I like that you can have the A-kit sound but the flexibility of E-kits samples should the need arise. Whereabouts is the Roland kick trigger BTW (can't see it in the photos), is it mounted internally?
I've also gone the A2E route (though more literally than yourself)- A shells with E triggers inside (like most E-drummers, can't have the A-kit noise)!
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94063

Thanks Todd,
The kick trigger is mounted to the right of the pedal.
You can see the switching pedal just under the floor tom, it's right above that.

Nice looking kit you have there, the visuals of a A-Kit and versatility of an E-Kit

The kick trigger is mounted to the right of the pedal.
You can see the switching pedal just under the floor tom, it's right above that.
Ah, so the trigger itself is obscured by the floor tom then.
Love the idea of the switching pedal too. Do you use it to switch between different samples/ effects or is it to simply switch the trigger on and off so you can alternate between A and E sounds for the kick?

Do you use it to switch between different samples/ effects or is it to simply switch the trigger on and off so you can alternate between A and E sounds for the kick?

The switch is only used to turn the trigger on/off.
I also have a kick drum mic into the mixer that i mute when the trigger is activated.

Very cool, i also have a Alesis Control Pad but i didn't know you could connect it to your iPad. is this just using an iPad to USB adapter ?

Very cool, i also have a Alesis Control Pad but i didn't know you could connect it to your iPad. is this just using an iPad to USB adapter ?

Yes, this is using the ipad/USB adaptor but you will also need a powered USB hub as the ipad isn't able to power the control pad. Even if you use the control pad PSU.

Yes, this is using the ipad/USB adaptor but you will also need a powered USB hub as the ipad isn't able to power the control pad. Even if you use the control pad PSU.

Cool, are there other apps on iOS that can be used as a brain along with the control pad ? It seems like a much better alternative to using a laptop.

Cool, are there other apps on iOS that can be used as a brain along with the control pad ? It seems like a much better alternative to using a laptop.

The only other app i tried with the control pad was Sample LAb but it was nowehere near as flexible as the Beatmaker app.
Importing and creating your own samples in beatmaker is really easy. Also the latency is a lot less.

Back