Playing with finesse

Deathmetalconga

Platinum Member
Who do you think plays with the most finesse? Manu Katche's drumming on In Your Eyes is one of the most finesse songs I have ever heard. Vinnie Coliauta and Steve Gadd probably leave a layer of finesse residue on a set just playing on it. Stewart Copeland also has it.

To me, finesse is the perfect fusion of technique, feel and judgment - when a musician possesses a high degree of these three things, he can play with great finesse.

Finesse is not necessary or desirable in all cases. Some genres - punk rock for example - would sound odd if played with much finesse.

What do you all think about playing with finesse, and who does it well?

I find that Manu Katche plays with fabulous finesse on his ECM-records (the track "Rose" from "Neighbourhood" is a fine example). And Peter Erskine's beautiful "less is more" drumming on the track "Third World Man" from Steely Dan's Alive in America album is also one of my favourites..

Dutch

Dave Weckl,Bill Stewart, Terri Lynn Carrington,...and whoever played on the Alan Holdsworth
release "Secrets". Gary Husband maybe??? I could be wrong there. Also John Bonham on "No Quarter" the Song Remains The Same version.

Finesse is not necessary or desirable in all cases. Some genres - punk rock for example - would sound odd if played with much finesse.

Perhaps I'm looking at finesse a little differently but I would imagine a punk drummer needing a bit of finesse to play some of those fast two-beat rhythms they play. I was listening to some Me First and Gimme Gimme's (a punk band doing fast punk renditions of the hits) and some of that fast two-beat stuff would take quite a bit of finesse to pull off at those speeds. If he just muscled through it, I don't think the guy would last an entire show. No?

Who do you think plays with the most finesse? Manu Katche's drumming on In Your Eyes is one of the most finesse songs I have ever heard. Vinnie Coliauta and Steve Gadd probably leave a layer of finesse residue on a set just playing on it. Stewart Copeland also has it.

To me, finesse is the perfect fusion of technique, feel and judgment - when a musician possesses a high degree of these three things, he can play with great finesse.

What do you all think about playing with finesse, and who does it well?

The way I see finesse, DMC is to do with a drummer's sound. At the end of the day technique, feel, judgement add up to what I take away from the music which is sound.

A drummer has a way of sounding good or bad, almost regardless of gear and genre of music.

I wholeheartedly agree with Manu Kartche and the other examples given here, but I also think drummers from genres that I dont care for, sound good or bad in the same way.

I was listening to some Me First and Gimme Gimme's (a punk band doing fast punk renditions of the hits) and some of that fast two-beat stuff would take quite a bit of finesse to pull off at those speeds.

one of THE WORST bands of all time.....my god, shoot either them or me now and put SOMEONE out of our misery!!!!

it's not too often that a band actually gets BOOED off the stage...but they just about managed to do it a few years ago in Pittsburgh. these guys should go back to selling shoes or lawn mowers at Sears somewhere.

one of THE WORST bands of all time.....my god, shoot either them or me now and put SOMEONE out of our misery!!!!

it's not too often that a band actually gets BOOED off the stage...but they just about managed to do it a few years ago in Pittsburgh. these guys should go back to selling shoes or lawn mowers at Sears somewhere.

I wasn't talking about their viability. I'm just saying the way that guy was playing is something that you couldn't just muscle your way through. There's finesse in everything. I saw Johnny "Vatos" Hernandez (Oingo Boingo) do the same kinda' thing years ago - the guy can just sit there and pump out the high volume and the blistering speed and he's not even sweating! Found out later he was a disciple of Freddie Gruber, so the man possesses some finesse to be able to do that without caving.

I suppose you like to hear songs like Mandy, The Rainbow Connection, and Will you still love me tomorrow? done the original way ;)

That's very sensitive of you ;)

I think that any drummer you hear and like, has reached a point, where that person has defined their own particular style of finesse. You can't say Keith Moon didn't play with finesse. He did, but his brand of finesse was all his own. Gadds brand is all his, as is Copelands, Purdies etc. I could say a 5 year old bangs on a drumkit with zero finesse. But anyone you've likely heard is already good, and has their own particular Mojo going on. It may not be your style but that doesn't mean it doesn't have finesse. I don't see the big deal about Kenny Aronoff. But that doesn't mean he doesn't play with finesse. Travis might be an exception. Sorry that slipped out.

I think that any drummer you hear and like, has reached a point, where that person has defined their own particular style of finesse. You can't say Keith Moon didn't play with finesse. He did, but his brand of finesse was all his own. Gadds brand is all his, as is Copelands, Purdies etc. I could say a 5 year old bangs on a drumkit with zero finesse. But anyone you've likely heard is already good, and has their own particular Mojo going on. It may not be your style but that doesn't mean it doesn't have finesse.

That's a fair point, though I think DMC was referring to finesse in its usual sense - refinement, taste, subtlety and control. Hard to go past Steve Gadd by that definition. Hmm, then there's Papa Jo, Tony Allen and Pretty Purdie off the top of my head. In rock, Vinnie and Bill Bruford.

I'm pretty crazy about the drummer from Cinematic Orchestra (forgot his name) ... fantastic feel, sound and taste

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-a6c1b0qCs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F1RVXfiWEE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb9a0KBUsU8

There are of course so many... At the moment, without listing those already mentioned, I would say Stanton Moore and Danny Carey... two of my favorite drummers to listen to/watch. They are expertly versed in their elements and make what they're playing look so easy!

Perhaps I'm looking at finesse a little differently but I would imagine a punk drummer needing a bit of finesse to play some of those fast two-beat rhythms they play. I was listening to some Me First and Gimme Gimme's (a punk band doing fast punk renditions of the hits) and some of that fast two-beat stuff would take quite a bit of finesse to pull off at those speeds. If he just muscled through it, I don't think the guy would last an entire show. No?

Maybe some punk requires a little finesse, but not much. Finesse isn't just playing what suits the music - it is that and other stuff.

I don't think you can mention finesse without talking about Carter Beauford. Yeah, I'm a fan, but his intricate high hat work and crescendoed blazing single strokes around the toms are great. "Say Goodbye", "Sattelite", etc.

I like your definition of finesse DMC.

A quick dictionary search defines finesse as

1. Refinement and delicacy of performance, execution, or artisanship.
2. Skillful, subtle handling of a situation; tactful, diplomatic maneuvering.

So for me when I think of finesse in drumming, my thoughts are more toward more genteel music.

Jeff Hamilton, Clayton Cameron and Brian Blade are popular players that play with a high degree of finesse. There are so many really.

As far as more bombastic finesse goes, I saw Abraham Laboriel, Jr. play this brutal floor tom sequence during a solo once at a Paul McCartney concert and he would play this punishing sticking sequence on his two floors on the right and then he would bring the volume down immediately and drag the tips of the sticks across the heads immediately after he hit the heads and get this incredible "boom phwiffftttt" kind of sound that sounded incredible. Very original and creative licks tha.t just based on the volume dynamics required a lot of finesse.

I also like the part of finesse that is getting yourself out of a sticky situation (no pun intended).

One time we were playing "Slow Ride" and during the breakdown, the audience is clapping entirely in unison but offbeat. One drunk dude started and everybody joined in like a flash mob. Clapping doesn't even really work in that part of the song but anyway. I'm trying to hold down the beat while the bass player is taking the Foghat bass noodle solo. So I threw one of my sticks at his feet. Everyone stopped clapping and we just kept on. Total finesse move on my part.

This might not be what you meant

vinnie colaiuta did drums on secrets by allan holdsworth - some of his most over the top playing - really spectacular. finesse is what makes a drummer (or any instrumentalist for that matter) sound good, imo.

vinnie colaiuta did drums on secrets by allan holdsworth - some of his most over the top playing - really spectacular. finesse is what makes a drummer (or any instrumentalist for that matter) sound good, imo.

Thank you,Billy. Actually That whole record could've been named "Finesse". Every note just rolls off the tongue like honey!

Back