Sonor S-Classix Bop Set

Stunning new set!! You finally got a "healthy" one.
The sound of those Sonors is incredible! A great choice to go with one, especially the bass drum sounds awesome.

Did think about tuning the toms a bit higher? I think they`d produce a nice melodic and percussive sound.

Karl

Thanks Karl,

I had a jazz trio gig last night and tuned the toms up higher. They really do sing. I'll try to record some samples with the higher tuning. These drums have a really large range. I think it may have something to do with the undersized shells and the perfect bearing edges.

Wayne

very nice kit...pic from outside is great...you have a fiberskin's? are they good? I have a fiberskin 2 Pearl on snare drum, it sounds great..i am going to buy new skins for my drums, i was thinking a pinstripe to buy, but i was between pinstripe or fiberskin? your recommendation? I have a Sonor from 1980. My Sonor

Sweet vintage pies. If I were you I wouldn't ever take that kit out of the house

The last kit I need to get an S Classix.
Then I will have Beech, Maple, Birch.
I love that kit....aaaahhh its only a matter of time.
Cheers

That roots finish is gorgeous.

very nice kit...pic from outside is great...you have a fiberskin's? are they good? I have a fiberskin 2 Pearl on snare drum, it sounds great..i am going to buy new skins for my drums, i was thinking a pinstripe to buy, but i was between pinstripe or fiberskin? your recommendation? I have a Sonor from 1980. My Sonor

The fiberskins are nice heads. They are very different than pinstripes. The fiberskins have a warm round sound. The pinstripes have a sharper attack and a wetter thuddy sound.

Wayne

Incredible drums!! Personally I could do without the moongel but that is a stunning set of drums nonetheless.

Thanks for the comment. With the coated ambassador bass drum head, I needed either a felt strip or a few moongels to cut the high overtones.(there's nothing in the bassdrum) I felt the moongels worked a little better. Now, I switched back to the stock PS3 head and tuned it tight no muffling needed.
To be honest, I'm happier with the powerstroke 3 and I wonder if some of the great jazz drummers of the 50's and 60's might have used them if they were available.

I can go with or without the moongel on the snare depending on the sound that I'm trying to record.

Wayne

Back