My Gear-Snares and kits

I always admire your set-up. Flat, low , mean and large.
Do you play that left side floor tom very much?

Also, I play on a guys kit at a practice studio and he has a flat base snare stand. Personally i hate it. it either hits the base pedal, or the hi hat or the stool whei try to move the snare. it seems like it takes up more of a footprint on the floor than a regulastyle stand. Just me though.

Thanks for the nice words.

Yep, I use that left side floor tom a lot!

The way my stuff is set, it's like a 4 piece going in both directions. It's very cool.
The 18 I use quite a bit too.
The foot print on the 16-18 is kinda like Steve Smiths kit, where I just move my hand over a bit more, and the stick is right in the center of the 18. I don't have to turn my body much at all really.

I use a "regular" snare stand, not a flat base for the snare. Sorry if it was confusing.
The one I use for gigs is a Pearl (1000 I think). It's the one with the lower standard basket and the suspension grips. I used to use the adjustable basket Pearl 2000 for my tom, but the other stands are a lot lighter to lug around, but they're still really sturdy (DW or Atlas). The Pearl suspension basket grips don't choke the drum at all either.
The Atlas Pro snare stand stays at home because it's heavier than the Pearl.

Yesterday I had rehearsal with the band after I put the ride back on the bass drum.

I've had it there off and on for years. A year or so ago I moved it to more on the side. It's kind of like being on a regular straight stand, but closer "in" by a few inches. I got the idea from a couple of Jason Sutter's kits, and a kit Patrick Keeler has.

It feels really good there, so I think I'll keep it like that (for a while at least :) ).

I also made another ride mount with an Atlas boom mount piece--the part that holds the boom arm--so it matches the rest of the stands I have up these days.

Right now it has a DW collar, but it also has the memory lock that goes with it, so that's kinda cool.

I have it so I can just pull the mount itself off, leave the L-arm with the mem. lock intact on the bass drum, and have it fit in the case.
Pic to come, thought I had one in the "bucket"...

This makes things fast for set-up/tear down, and I have one less stand in the hardware case. Every 5 lbs. less helps!!
Cleaner look to the kit too.

I'm still trying to figure out a way to make a "full" ride mount using an Atlas height adjustment collar, but those are 5/8 at the smallest, and the L-arm is 1/2".

I know it's kinda anal to try and make it with "all Ludwig parts", and not just leave it (because it works), but it's kind of the "fun of the challenge" to figure it out how to work as easily, and have it all match. If I won't cost me a bunch of money, I'll do it.

I don't "need" anything anymore, as far as drums/cymbals, other than heads (when they wear out) now.
Not even sticks. I have 50 pairs of unused sticks (!!!!)--that's not counting pairs that are slightly played on, and still lots of life. Lucky I really love the model stick I made up!!!
The way they last for me, I'll be set for several years.

It'll be kinda weird not spending money on gear after all these years, so any little hardware projects are gonna have to be my gear "fix" now haha!

Very nice Karl! Thanks for sharing the pics. You've got a killer collection and I always enjoying seeing your kits. I'm working on getting my drum cave completely remodeled and it's taking longer than I'd like, but hopefully I'll have pics soon.

Back