Sonor Jungle Snare Review.

CoachHines

sonor-force-3007-all-maple-10-x-2-jungle-snare-drum-617-p.jpg

I picked this up last summer and it's a sweet little addition to any set up.

Size - 10" x 2"
Shell - Natural Wood
Finish - Natural Wood Finish
Lugs - Tension Rods, Chrome (x6)
Snare Wire - 12 Strands
Features - 16 Jingles
Heads - Sonor by Remo (Ctd Batter, Clr Snare Side)

Pros:

Tone: I've used it in a number of ways. I've placed it to the left of my high hat as a second, twangy-ier snare for rim shots and reggae timbale-intros. I've also turned it off and recieved a more timbale-esque sound. I've also placed it to the left of my 10" tom and used it as a little tom.

Volume: The holes in the sides give you big volume out of a little drum.

Stylistic Versatility: I typically use it for Reggae and Ska and that twangy sound; however, I also use it in my prog/metal fooling around. Think of it as the 14" spearing china cymbal of the snare drum world. The thing cuts hard.

Price: You get a versalite second snare/small tom/timbale without killing your wallet.

Jungle: It's perfect for a little, portable jungle busking kit.

Cons:

Look: The maple finish is boring. For such an odd looking drum, let's give it some cool finish.

It's Awkward: It doesn't quite fit right in a traditional snare stand. You can get a Sonor jungle snare stand but L&M didn't have one and I have yet to consult the internet for one.

The Tambourine Jingly Thingys: They're kind of gimmicky. When playing it as a snare, you can't hear them and they sound weird when using it as a tom/timbale. I guess I sort of like 'em though on account of their uniqueness.

Bottom Line: Sonor makes nice stuff. It's quite pricey but for the most part you get what you pay for. I wouldn't call it a must... so it's an almost-must for all ska/reggae drummers looking for a unique item. And it's an optional accessory for other genre drummers who also want something quirky and different.

8/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qneeVk4IE0g

Mmmmm, listen to 'dem rim shots. This guy uses it in a cool Jojo Mayer-esque drum n' bass thing. It sounds rad.

What do you guys think?

Not the best demo video imo, but definitely a good review. I am very interested in this drum aswell :]

Did you get the Jungle kit that it comes with? Or would you like to add that snare to the new Sonor Safari kit. Those kits are awesome! You should check those out ;)

Indoor Storm shows this neither as as a component of their Jungle Kit nor a Force snare option. Rather, a $250.00 3007 5.5 x 14 with a matching finish.

Obviously, the "Jungle" thingy not that well received, even as a side.

Back