Unix quick release lugs

Unix

Silver Member
Been waiting for mounths to reveal these one. Nothing new there, well yes it is. but I didn't invent anything it was inspired by the Ayotte lugs style.

It's our view on quick release lug.

Attachments

• QRB lug.bmp
    433.2 KB · Views: 2,924
  • QRC lug.png
    QRC lug.png
    214.1 KB · Views: 3,465
  • QRBC lug.bmp
    445.1 KB · Views: 3,680
Those look good but d othey come in like regular silver.

also mabey it's just the pictures but an i correct in saying that those would be like a cylinder sticking off the drum.

That is going to be great. These newer lugs seem more fitting for such a beautiful shell.

Man alive! Those are sharp! You know...the chrome version of these would look really slick on a nice dark bubinga kit! :)

Hey Unix, any chance I can buy 50 pieces off you in chrome for my kick & snare project?

Andy: I don't think Francois is available any longer. A lot of folks here have noted lately that he is not responding to inquiries, phone, etc., and the Unix Web site no longer functions, I believe. I don't know if Unix is still in business.

These lugs look very similar to GMS's Special Edition lug--you could try seeing about buying SE lugs from them?

Andy: I don't think Francois is available any longer. A lot of folks here have noted lately that he is not responding to inquiries, phone, etc., and the Unix Web site no longer functions, I believe. I don't know if Unix is still in business.

These lugs look very similar to GMS's Special Edition lug--you could try seeing about buying SE lugs from them?
Thanks for the info Robert, very much appreciated. I'll take a look at the GMS item. VBR, Andy.

Just looked up those GMS lugs Robert, thanks. They look like what I'm after, but appear a touch bulky compared to the Unix ones, although I'd need to view them in the flesh. I've sent mails to both GMS & their listed UK distributor. Let's see what happens. If no joy, then I'll have to make my own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Update; GMS replied promptly, but unfortunately won't supply them separately from their drums. I can appreciate their strategy, although it would be interesting to see what happens if someone needs service items for one of their kits. Anyhow, I'll probably have to get something machined bespoke to the job. Not the end of the world, as I've a few ideas on how to improve on the principal, especially the footprint size.

Those lugs were originated by Todd Rathkamp of Rat Trap Drums.

If you have your heart set on them, you can buy copies from Ego Drum Supply, but be aware that you are buying a stolen idea.

http://www.egodrumsupply.com/quickrelease.html
Huge thanks for that, but I'm with you on the principal of ownership, even if there's no formal protection. As an engineer, it's a simple common sense design, but it has flaws. There's too little thread length to ensure it keeps in tune. I have a way around that, & I've already consulted with my builder on making an enhanced version. BTW, the builder I'm partnering with on this unique drum project is Dean of Guru Drumworks. Maybe you know him? Great guy. These lugs are probably the most standard bit of this kit build, & are only being applied to the kick & snare. Thanks again, Andy.

I've not seen Guru's stuff before today, but looking through his site it seems that he does some very tasty woodwork. I look forward to seeing your soon-to-be newly created kit!

I've not seen Guru's stuff before today, but looking through his site it seems that he does some very tasty woodwork. I look forward to seeing your soon-to-be newly created kit!
Cheers Crazy, yes, Dean's a pure wood nut, in the nicest possible way. Apart from drumming, I was into engineering design in a previous life, so I'm part client, part designer of this weird project kit. Anytime soon, well, it's going to take quite a while. Dean has sourced the wood though, mahogany from some church pews that have been around for a few hundred years. I like that! Thanks for your help. Much appreciated, Andy.

Huge thanks for that, but I'm with you on the principal of ownership, even if there's no formal protection. As an engineer, it's a simple common sense design, but it has flaws. There's too little thread length to ensure it keeps in tune. I have a way around that, & I've already consulted with my builder on making an enhanced version. BTW, the builder I'm partnering with on this unique drum project is Dean of Guru Drumworks. Maybe you know him? Great guy. These lugs are probably the most standard bit of this kit build, & are only being applied to the kick & snare. Thanks again, Andy.

If you're thinking of extending the piece that the rod extends through, I think that depending on the build, it would look quite nice. Kind of like a section from a Jacob's Ladder.

On topic, I've heard a lot about Unix drums. Are they really that good?

I'm no dead, I had a hard divorce and it has put thing backword a little bite, but I'm working on that right now. Website will be up next week or so, and about the quick release lugs, Deano is a good friend and we've talk about it, but I would more than interest to know about that modification, specially if it regards one of my product.

I can be reach at [email protected]
or [email protected]

Best regards,

I'm no dead, I had a hard divorce and it has put thing backword a little bite, but I'm working on that right now. Website will be up next week or so, and about the quick release lugs, Deano is a good friend and we've talk about it, but I would more than interest to know about that modification, specially if it regards one of my product.

I can be reach at [email protected]
or [email protected]

Best regards,
Thanks, & sorry to hear about your difficulties. My thoughts go out to you on that.

Drum stuff; Yeah, Dean's told me he's been in touch with you. In fact, I think he's either ordered, or will order those lugs from you shortly.

As for a mod, I was thinking of simply applying a fine thread, but now I'll be using those nylon insert screws from Tightscrew. They should provide all the hold I need, plus maintain the original (very cool IMO) look of your lugs. The tension on these drums will be mostly low, partially because I'll be using a lot of them, therefore the screws are even more likely to loose thread grip.

Anyhow, glad you're back at it! Best regards, Andy.

BTW, I never said you were gone. That's just what was reported on this forum..

Back