Stage Etiquette

As a compromise I would settle for it if the dickhead actually learnt to play it perfectly.

On songs with difficult endings I wish my band would occasionally turn around to look at my cues for ending rather than being so self-indulgent in their on-stage mutual wankfest. Then those really tricky endings would end correctly.

LOL these things are common in my band too. Practicing the lead lick/rhythm part of a song before we play it always annoys me too specifically with cover songs, then you have given away the impact of the intro of what could be a great song.

With drummers and a backline kit, I think bringing your own cymbals is important. Last gig I has the drummer played my cymbals because he didn't bring his own, played them nicely in soundcheck and I was like 'ahh yeah, thats fine', then proceeded to smack them to death during his set. egh

But a bit of mutual respect between other bands and the engineer always goes a long way.

HAVE YOUR GEAR READY TO GO ON STAGE

If my band isn't opening the show I start setting up everything when the band playing before us starts, I might have to adjust some heights and angles but for the most part my kit is ready to go.

GET YOUR GEAR OFF THE STAGE AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE

Unless you're the only band playing or the last band playing get your gear off stage as quickly as possible after you're done. Don't pull out your cymbal bag or hardware bag you can put your shit away when it's off stage, there's normally a 10-15 minute change out and even with my kit ready to go it takes me a few minutes to dial everything in. When the drummer before me takes too long getting his kit out of my way I'll start putting all my stuff in front of and around his!

GET SOME MOON GEL

I know that not everyone is a fan of Moon Gel but if you get your kit setup and realize one of your toms isn't sounding right Moon Gel can INSTANTLY solve the problem, NOBODY wants to listen to you tune your rack tom before your set!

BE RESPECTFUL

Thank the sound guy. Even if the sound isn't perfect thank the sound guy and tell him it sounded great.

If there's a house kit use it don't insist on using your kit, the house kit is already mic'd up and using it will make the band change out incredibly fast.

Set up fast and tear down fast. Especially when there are other bands sharing a bill. At a gig a couple weeks ago, I had minimal equipment (some electronic pads, a djembe and a cajon), but there was an open-mic following our set. The sound guy commented after the show that it was the fastest he had ever seen a band tear down and load out. Besides being courteous, that sh** matters to people and can pay big dividends down the road.

During sound-check, play simple, consistent quarter notes on each drum until the sound person has what s/he needs and is ready to check the next drum. Sound check is NOT the time to blow chops and try to impress everyone. And make sure to strike the drums at a volume level representative of what you'll be playing during the show.

Offer to help your band mates with moving gear when you finish with yours. Drums sometimes take the longest, but if you finish getting on or off stage before the others, offer to help them with their gear.

During sound-check, play simple, consistent quarter notes on each drum until the sound person has what s/he needs and is ready to check the next drum. Sound check is NOT the time to blow chops and try to impress everyone. And make sure to strike the drums at a volume level representative of what you'll be playing during the show.

This is exactly how it should go. I actually hate it when a sound person says "OK play the whole kit". I understand it is needed at times but I still do a simple groove with linear fills simply so the sound person can make sure each drum is mixed well. Doing a crazy drum solo is not the best way to mix a kit before a set

This is exactly how it should go. I actually hate it when a sound person says "OK play the whole kit". I understand it is needed at times but I still do a simple groove with linear fills simply so the sound person can make sure each drum is mixed well. Doing a crazy drum solo is not the best way to mix a kit before a set

I try to do a 4/4 rock beat, 100ish BPM. I make sure I hit everything individually and together. Lots of blickums and 8th note fills. Basically play like John Rutsey for sound check :D

Totally agree with you on it not being the time to show off a bunch of chops. I have had several live engineers who prefer the drummer do quarters and 16ths on the toms and kick, just to check the compression attack and guard against any low frequency build up that might happen during the actual set. Nothing fancy, just 1,2,3, 4e&ah

All good stuff thus far :)

From "the other side";

1/ During sound check, all band members should be on stage & be ready to play. It's not my job to chase people down in a crowded venue, or be forced to make FOH announcements.

2/ During setup & soundcheck, do exactly as the engineer asks (outside of gear mutilation). Play as requested - no more, no less.

3/ Know how to use your gear, & how to set it up appropriately for the gig. That means everything from tuning to cymbal heights.

4/ Pre-assemble as much as possible in multi band situations, & never even step on the stage until all previous band gear & members are clear of the stage. If the previous band is being slow, it's my job to do something about it, not yours.

4/ Pre-assemble as much as possible in multi band situations, & never even step on the stage until all previous band gear & members are clear of the stage. If the previous band is being slow, it's my job to do something about it, not yours.

This one confuses me. Are you saying its the drummer's (of the upcoming band) job to get the other band off the stage quicker?

This one confuses me. Are you saying its the drummer's (of the upcoming band) job to get the other band off the stage quicker?

He's talking from the perspective of the engineer or as he said 'the other side'

Last edited:
No, quite the reverse. I want the next band to stay out of the way & off the stage until it's completely clear. As stated, it's my job (the engineer) to ensure the band that's just performed is off stage in a timely manner, not the job of the next band on. Sure, if the packing down drummer asks for a hand passing something off stage or similar, that's fine, but generally, the more people on that stage, the slower the whole process becomes.

the more people on that stage, the slower the whole process becomes.

This always irks me about playing with multiple bands and not backlining equipment; you end up doing this awkward shuffle between sets.

The band going on wants to get up there as quickly as possible so they don't lose the crowd, meanwhile the band that just played is trying to break down and get off the stage. All the while the engineer is running around trying to disconnect mics, setup mics on the new equipment, and eventually sound check the new equipment...

This might be the best case for backlining equipment, as you really want the time between bands to be as little as possible, and it doesn't help if both bands are on the stage running around with gear...

This always irks me about playing with multiple bands and not backlining equipment; you end up doing this awkward shuffle between sets.

The band going on wants to get up there as quickly as possible so they don't lose the crowd, meanwhile the band that just played is trying to break down and get off the stage. All the while the engineer is running around trying to disconnect mics, setup mics on the new equipment, and eventually sound check the new equipment...
I have a simple rule in multiple band situations. During tear down, only the departing band & stage crew are allowed on stage - period. Only when the stage manager and / or myself give the ok, are the next band allowed to set foot on that stage. This is made very clear up front so there's no misunderstanding during the gig.

I don't run festival / rally sound that often, but when I do, I get a lot of compliments about show management, even from the people I've had to jump on a bit ;) I'm running one in a couple of months time. Thankfully, I'll be using a stage manager for this event. A good stage manager makes such a difference.

I have a simple rule in multiple band situations. During tear down, only the departing band & stage crew are allowed on stage - period. Only when the stage manager and / or myself give the ok, are the next band allowed to set foot on that stage.

1+ Yes.. I get panicked if an army of well meaning volunteers starts moving my stuff. Easy to lose track of things.. and I have had equipment disappear in those situations (like some cymbals stands that had 'legs'!). For that reason, I pack my stuff into bundles and count them before moving them - and only let band members help me if they wish.

Protip for guitarists.....

Expect there to be a single shitty ungrounded shared electrical outlet on the stage. Buy yourself a decent quality strip.

5106vO0EJcL._SX425_.jpg

I own a couple of these, which do the job well enough.

Expect there to be a single shitty ungrounded shared electrical outlet on the stage.
Sorry for the slight hijack, but all North American domestic grade mains connectors are shitty. I thought the French held the record for the most poorly constructed mains connections, but the USA has them beat on that accolade. Flimsy build quality, inherently unstable design = unreliability nightmare. I made the mistake of ordering some NA lighting units fitted with these crappy connectors as a daisy chain. Worst decision ever - nothing but problems. Had them changed out to IEC's = problem solved. The UK 3 pin 240v plug & socket might be ungainly in it's appearance, but it's utterly reliable, & quality IEC's make for great mains links.

Over to Larry ;)

Sorry, back to "how not to be a stage dick" :)

I was very impressed by the overbuilt electrical plugs when I was in the UK. I mean a 50 amp plug here in the US looks like what they use for everyday appliances appliances in the UK. They are a little overkill IMO, but by comparison the US plugs are way underbuilt, cheap even. A happy medium somewhere between the US and the UK plugs would be good.

1. If sharing a kit respect the owner of the kit, don't beat the crap out of someone else's kit. Nothing worse than having someone leave your kit with dings in all the heads. Worst ever, another drummer helping himself to my sticks (taken out of the stick bag) and breaking not one but two pair!

2. Don't step on your bandmate's riffs and expect them not to step on your fills. Our bass player is famous for this, loves to hear himself play.

Generally respect the other musicians and sound techs.

Take some time to notice the people in the crowd who seem to be watching you. Interact with em. It's pretty easy to pick all two of them out.

The singer might be the MC of the party so to speak, but you're the DJ. You have the big play button at your disposal. Feel the flow between songs and keep the rest of the band in check. If the band is too leisurely with their bantering and it's not going anywhere, pick a good spot and count the damn song off. You'd be surprised how suddenly they're able to play when they hear quarter notes on a china.

The only acceptable time to accentuate the singers banter with double kick runs and tom fills is when announcing someones birthday or if he makes a funny burn on the bass player.

Along the same lines, not every song has to end with a drawn out flurry of the newest hybrid rudiment combinations you just learned. Save that for the end of the set.

If the venue actually has a lighting guy, be totally awesome to this person.

Already covered, but I want to underscore:

1) In a multi-band bill, DON'T break your kit down on stage. Move it off and break it down in the wings. I'm amazed how many drummers - older, experienced drummers - still can't grasp this concept.

2) See #1.

This is the single biggest pet-peeve of mine at any gig. I'm at an age where I don't hold my tongue about it any more - if a guy starts unscrewing his hi-hats and casually chatting to a buddy while I'm waiting to get onstage, I politely but firmly ask if he wouldn't mind moving his kit and breaking it down elsewhere so that I can set up. And I always offer to help move his kit if he likes.

And strangely enough, not once have I met resistance - the offending drummer always apologizes and gets moving right away. Which makes me wonder why they didn't get moving in the first place...

Already covered, but I want to underscore:

1) In a multi-band bill, DON'T break your kit down on stage. Move it off and break it down in the wings. I'm amazed how many drummers - older, experienced drummers - still can't grasp this concept.
This is what I always instruct departing drummers to do, & provide stage techs to assist. Once mic's are off, that kit is side stage in under 1 minute :)

Back