Sub Kick in a Case

bamdrummer

So I built myself a DIY subkick (like yamaha makes but mine was about $350 cheaper) out of a speaker cone reverse wired to a 1/4" jack. I won't go into the details of the subkick itslef because there are literally thousands of threads on that already, but if your interested you can PM me.

The part I really want to post about is the case for it. I originally just made a scrap wood frame for it which worked as a proof of concept thing (and gave me some shockingly stellar recordings on drums and bass cabs) but it looked pretty awful, wasn't durable, didn't offer and protection and was kind of unwieldy and hard to carry. All in all: Bad.

But...I had recently bought a set of SKB cases off ebay. The only problem was that it came with an 8x8 tom case. I don't own an 8x8 tom, nor do I have plans to. I just thought I might keep it around as a stick bucket, or try to sell it. But then Inspiration hit.

I now have the subkick shock mounted inside the case, which makes it clean, simple, MUCH more protective, and easy to carry around, plus it looks extremely professional IMO. Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66we03II8ws

Last edited:
Back