Drumming in an (almost) all female country/folk band

DanBed27

Hi guys!

I decided to share with you this promo video of one of my bands called "The Wildwood Family". It's mostly a vocal band and the drumming is definitely not at the forefront but I felt some of you might actually enjoy the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zOMdgoTltQ

Hope you'll like it.

Take care,

Daniel

Thanks!! That gig is a lot of fun. I even have a drum solo. Not featured in the the clip though.

Country-folk is a genre that I generally don't appreciate, but what a smashing band! Your playing was lovely, a real lesson in musicality and restraint. I really have to thank you for sharing that and challenging my prejudice!

What an enjoyable gig that looks like.

Thanks guys. It's definitely a fun gig to play. The girls singing is very good which makes it very enjoyable.

The girls singing is very good which makes it very enjoyable.

I didn't notice any girls - perhaps they were tucked up in bed with their dolls - but the women's singing was excellent.

It's a country band so it has to be gals.

Haha, sorry for that mistake. I'm french so I sometimes do those mistakes. Girls for women. They definitely are women. Believe me. ;)

I would find a piano player and hook up with the bass player for a nice trio. Looks like fun to me.

That bass player is a monster. Killer playing.

I really like your band. I play in a contemporary country band with a female vocalist and I also enjoy it.

Back in about 1980 I used to follow this really pro sounding Southern Rock band to every gig they did because I knew the bass player from previous bands and I also knew the drummer was leaving in a few months to play for the pit band for "Godspell" I think it was. So I learned their stuff from going to gigs, and when the drummer left, I slid right in.

Anyway I played maybe 2 gigs, and just that quick, the Country craze hit. Urban Cowboy was making a big splash. The booking agent for the band told us to switch gears NOW because there was so much work available for Country bands. So I was a little bit disappointed because I was in love with the repertoire they had previously.

I had never really been exposed to Country music having been raised on Rock, so I had to learn a whole new style.

I am so humbly grateful for that about 2 and a half year experience with Country music. It really served me well in later years. I got some road experience with that band, and got to hear some incredible pickers, and had some really funny times.

It's good to see the real heart of Country Music is alive and well.

The latest Top 40 radio Country music to me is Country flavored Rock, with a few exceptions. Most of it sounds like Country but really it's Rock.

Thanks again guys for the kind words.

Country music is a lot of fun to play. It's funny, I play a lot of jazz or country gigs. I don't really know how that happened. Haha.

Love everything about it! Personally, I love playing Country Music.

Also love the giant poster of Louis Armstrong in some of the camera shots. That automatically makes it the coolest place on earth to play.

Back