Ludwig maple 8X14 vs Gretsch USA Custom Maple 8X14

I"m partial to Ludwigs anyway and that Classic Maple is a thing of beauty to my eyes. No contest. Get the Lud. Oh, by the way, I have bought from that ebay seller and had no problems and fast shipping. Just my 2cents.

Gretsch only because preference of die cast and I think the throw is better. Definitely could be wrong about the throw though so if anyone has used both extensively please throw in your comment *rimshot*

Ludwig.....no, Gretsch.....no, Ludwig......hang on, Gretsch......wait, I've changed my mind again, Ludwig. Yep definitely Ludwig......unless of course you really want the Gretsch, then you should get that.....unless you get a better deal on the Ludwig.

Mate, we've been through this on your other 3 threads. Why are you not listening?

Both companies have been at this quite a while. Both companies make quality drums that have been tried, tested and approved by many famous names since long before you were a twinkle in your old mans eye. You're not gonna go wrong with either drum, but it's gonna come down to which one YOU prefer. But how are you gonna know that unless you get out there and start checking stuff out for yourself?

But as I already know you're not gonna bother to do that, I'm just gonna save myself some time and energy and say get the Ludwig.

Now I'll sit back and look forward to seeing the thread where you proudly display your new Gretsch.

Gretsch only because preference of die cast and I think the throw is better. Definitely could be wrong about the throw though so if anyone has used both extensively please throw in your comment *rimshot*

The dunnet gets stuck sometimes when you're flicking it between on/off, and the ludwig (which I have) has small allen key screws that loosen, neither is perfect.

I prefer die cast hoops and I like the lugs on the gretsch more. The ludwig finish is pretty sexy though... that's my 2c.

The Ludwig looks amazing with this finish. I guess it's a special finish. It looks more like an exclusive instrument though the price is lower than the Gretsch (which looks gorgeaous too but more mainstream). I'd take the Ludwig. I played for 1 year with a Ludwig Satinwood in 14x6.5" in a big band and that animal was the best snare I ever played. I was considering stealing it every time. I didn't of course, I'm a musician not a robber. Since I'm looking for that Satinwood but it is impossible to find anymore.

Pocket full of gold: I really respect your intelligence. You've been reading my mind through all this the whole time. But please give me a break, you need to understand i dont get to try any sort of quality snare drum in my country at all. The best you can get here is a pearl Dennis Chambers Signature and for thrice its price.
Never played a nice Gretsch or Ludwig drum at all and i'm trying to decide what to buy from what i can hear through the web 5000 miles away from the snare drum.
It think you can excuse me if i'm a bit insecure and asking for help in the Drum Gear section of the forum.
Thanks a lot for your comments anyway.

I own two snares right now.

An old Gretsch and a new Ludwig................both are good but nothing like the two you are considering..............I have no need to pay so much for a snare drum.

I'm certain that no matter which you choose, it's a winner.

Pocket full of gold: I really respect your intelligence. You've been reading my mind through all this the whole time. But please give me a break, you need to understand i dont get to try any sort of quality snare drum in my country at all. The best you can get here is a pearl Dennis Chambers Signature and for thrice its price.
Never played a nice Gretsch or Ludwig drum at all and i'm trying to decide what to buy from what i can hear through the web 5000 miles away from the snare drum.
It think you can excuse me if i'm a bit insecure and asking for help in the Drum Gear section of the forum.
Thanks a lot for your comments anyway.

Ok mate. Fair enough. I'm not trying to be an arsehole, really. It just seemed that we had several very similar threads that were going round and round the same old mountain and not getting anywhere. But if you have no opportunity to try these things out then that's perfectly understandable.

Now, as to the drums. In this case you are pretty much comparing "like-for-like" snares. Obviously there are a few subtle differences, the biggest of which will be the die cast hoops which do focus the sound more than flanged. Still given the Luddy is $300 cheaper, I'd be more inclined to recommend that. US$740 for a maple snare does seem like overkill to me (here in Oz it's par for the course). I just don't think a Dunnett throw and die cast hoops correlates to $300 worth of upgrades. With the money saved you could pick up another snare and get more bang for your buck.

As we know both companies make excellent drums and you're really not gonna go wrong either way. Personally I'd be more inclined to roll with the best deal. In this case, that's definitely the Luddy, IMHO.

Thanks man!!
No more threads from me, its time to make a decision on my own.
Thanks for your advice and good luck.

Definitely the Luddy. It's gonna be basically the same drum but cost much less. You can get Die cast hoops later. The throw off on the Ludwig is still pretty good. Go for it. Post pics!

I actually like Gretsch finish better, but the shell on the Ludwig is a little bit thicker, and for an 8" depth, it's probably a better choice as far as projection goes.

Just my 2 cents, but, I used a 6.5 Gretsch wood snare for a couple days, and it sounded nice on it's own, but didn't do anything when I played it with the band.

I have a 6.5 Classic Maple snare (T flange hoops) and it's still a decently thin shell (for sensitivity and articulation), but it is more robust when I lay into it than the Gretsch--even with the DC hoops on the Gretsch.

If it's an "at home" snare or for some recording, get which ever one draws you to it more.
The one you keep going back to is the one.

You could actually build an 8x14 cheaper than the price on the Gretsch though. It seems like a lot of money, but, if it has the type of sound you want...

If you got it, & it wasn't what you thought, could you sell it fairly easily?

BTW, an 8 sounds pretty cool with 42 strand wires.

Good luck!

Back