I went in to buy a Catalina Jazz and came out with Silverstars

Davo-London

Gold Member
Lordy

I wasn't really sure whether I was going to buy the Catalina Jazz kit or not but when I chatted to the staff for some time and the Silverstars Jazz kit was on offer and it came with Road Pro hardware. If I add quality hardware to the cost of the Catalina kit then it would be more than the Silverstars. Plus the quality of the finish etc on the Tama. The deal was done.

So excited but I don't get to play these till next week at rehearsal.

Yummy. No questions just I thought I would share.

It's the Sky Blue Sparkle BTW.

Oh AND THIS IS MY VERY FIRST ACOUSTIC KIT!

Davo

Last edited:
Also, I've failed on protocol in that I didn't post endlessly above Gretsch vs Tama vs Sonor etc.

And worse, I don't have any photos!!!!

What is the punishment?

Davo

I have the Gretsch kit, but if both had been at the shop when I bought it, I probably would have bought the Tama. I like the Gretsch kit enough to keep it though. Have fun with your new kit. (And pictures would be nice.) Peace and goodwill.

I can't wait to hear about what you think once you've played them. And pics, I'd love to see pics too. The sky blue sparkle looks great and would definitely be my choice for a jazz-type kit. Nice choice!

Pictures!!! Surely you have a friend who has a camera?!

I refuse to open this thread again until I see the little "attachment" symbol, lol.

I really would like to see that sky blue sparkle. Congrats on your new kit.

Nice choice on the Silverstars.A friend down the block picked up a set a couple of weeks ago and when I played them,I was blown away.Personally I really like 1.6mm rims for their sound.Some will say that they are cheap hardware.That is a bunch of crap.That and die cast are all we had for years.I have my original Ludwig Supraphonic LM 400 from 65 and the rims are just fine,and their brass.Good luck ,and keep those photos coming.

Steve B

1.6 mm hoops are not a problem on toms.
They are a bit weak for a snare and that's it.
They even work on a snare but the rim shots aren't spectacular.
I have several kits that have those hoops and I have played them for many years now.
Great choice in kits and I know that you will enjoy that Tama kit to the max!

I don't have any photos!!!!

What is the punishment?

Davo

You will be bestowed the title of "troll" until the pictures are presented in an appealing yet overwhelming fashion. During this period of troll-ness:

1. any videos you post in the Your Playing section will be ignored, despite your appeals for people to comment,

2. every thread you start will be scrutinized for your poor grammar, rude attitude, and your love of Travis Barker.

3. a pox will be laid upon the name of the Silverstar, equating it with Pitch Blacks and Sound Percussion

Welcome to hell.

You forgot one thing caddy,
You will have to write 500 times, "I will not start a new kit thread without pictures"
You will have to do this while kneeling on a number 2 pencil.
I went to Catholic school.

You will be bestowed the title of "troll" until the pictures are presented in an appealing yet overwhelming fashion. During this period of troll-ness:

1. any videos you post in the Your Playing section will be ignored, despite your appeals for people to comment,

2. every thread you start will be scrutinized for your poor grammar, rude attitude, and your love of Travis Barker.

3. a pox will be laid upon the name of the Silverstar, equating it with Pitch Blacks and Sound Percussion

Welcome to hell.

At least I'll have someone to join me! Although I'm there for different reasons that I keep to myself.

Just be glad that I didn't lock you in a room with Father Feelup :)

As the Mayor you will forfiet your curb side parking spot until the photos are posted.

And as a Gretsch man, I must say that they look good, as Googled, and I like the birch better than Gretsch's Mahogany. Congrats.

Hey Mr Mayor, Have you been able to fix those parking tickets for me yet?

Photo should be attached.

Me grinning in the driving seat!

Davo

Attachments

• next1.jpg
    next1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 922
Last edited:
Back