Sonor Safari

I'm in the minority of people who understand that you can do a variety of gigs on a micro kit.
Most don't agree, and my band members occasionally mess with me for having a bass drum that is smaller than many floor toms.

I don't care, and I Love my Safari kit. In a one-kit-only scenario, I might be inclined to
recommend the Bop over the Safari - simply because others will perceive it as a more versatile kit.

It's kind of like bringing a Kramer guitar to a blues jam - it's something that will bring on ridicule. There are many - ignorant - players out there who would think a 16"-BD kit is Only worthy for jazz and nothing else. Again, I don't care what these people think, thus, I am playing the Safari on every gig.

I run into this too. People look at a small kit as inadequate.
I use my Safari and my Rhythm Traveler kits a lot.
I love the looks on some peoples faces when they see my mini kits.

I do own and play standard size kits. I have no problem with them. I love my standard kits.
Its just that most small club gigs don't require a full sized kit.

I run into this too. People look at a small kit as inadequate.
I use my Safari and my Rhythm Traveler kits a lot.
I love the looks on some peoples faces when they see my mini kits.

I do own and play standard size kits. I have no problem with them. I love my standard kits.
Its just that most small club gigs don't require a full sized kit.

What I've been doing is demanding there be a 6' x 5' space for me and my kit. If there's not enough space, I say no to gig ;)

What I've been doing is demanding there be a 6' x 5' space for me and my kit. If there's not enough space, I say no to gig ;)
Thats it Bo, Anymore space than that and I refuse to play. I will not be left just sitting there with wide open spaces left all around me.
The nerve of some venues, to provide space for the drummer on stage.
What Is this world coming to?

Here is some audio from a large hall gig that I did last Sat. You can really hear the power of the Safari on a stage in a banquet hall with no mic's.
You can really hear the toms and the bass drum at their best.
The recorder was about ten feet in front of the stage.

Attachments

• It Don't Mean A Thing.mp3
    4.1 MB · Views: 170
  • Have You Met Miss Jones.mp3
    3.1 MB · Views: 109
Last edited:
It's kind of like bringing a Kramer guitar to a blues jam - it's something that will bring on ridicule. There are many - ignorant - players out there who would think a 16"-BD kit is Only worthy for jazz and nothing else. Again, I don't care what these people think, thus, I am playing the Safari on every gig. But, YMMV.

Reminds me of folks in the music biz I know who admit that DW Jazz Series drums sound good and are fine, but discount them because "DW just isn't a jazz drum." What the hell does that mean? So, if it sounds as good as Gretsch custom, it still isn't good enough just because it's DW??

Funny how stereotypes and marketing continue to dominate our perceptions and inform our knowledge base.

Funny how stereotypes and marketing continue to dominate our perceptions and inform our knowledge base.
I couldn't agree more Robert.
By the way, The sizzler that you hear me playing in "Have You Met Miss Jones" is a 22 inch Paiste 2oo2 ride with rivets that I added. Not exactly a jazz pie.

Last edited:
I am GASing for one of these SO BADLY right about now... however I just picked up an 80's Swingstar kit in trade for an unused guitar, no way I can justify showing up with yet another kit right about now. Especially one that I would be playing in clubs where gear can get dinged up pretty quickly. But still....

Especially one that I would be playing in clubs where gear can get dinged up pretty quickly. But still....

That's why I love gigging with this kit. And why I'm always attracted to low end gear that sounds good. I beat the snot out of my kit - as far packing. I don't exactly baby the kit.
If it gets dinged up - who cares? It's just more character. :)

As you all know I installed Gary's lugs on my Safari snare and I liked it.
Im going to order a shell to make a new snare so I removed Gary's lugs and the ten lug hoops from the Safari snare today.
I put the stock lugs, throw off, and 8 hole hoops back on the Safari snare and I spent some quality time with the drum.
I am using Aquarian heads with a Focus X as a batter.
After some tuning and experimenting I got that drum to sound real good with the factory hardware.
It really likes the Aquarian heads. I found that the Safari snare only likes tight tuning.
The Focus X has real good ring control and sensitivity. Perfect for the thin shelled Safari.
I tried a PS3 that I had, and that head worked well on the Safari snare also.
Tight tuning and ring control heads seem to be the best combination for this drum.
I even got the stock snare wires to work well.
The Safari snare sure is finicky.

Last edited:
Made some more changes to my Safari today.
I added a Sonor hi-hat stand, Snare stand, and bass pedal.
I was using the hardware from my Pearl Rhythm Traveler since I got the kit in March.
I also added a PureSound 24 strand brass coil strainer to the snare.

The Puresound strainer really helped the snare. It still has a trashy sound but it is much more responsive. I like it.

The HH 174 hat stand is single braced and lightweight. The cool thing about it is that when it is fully extended it is at the perfect height for me to play. There is no extra rod sticking up above the clutch.

The SP 473 pedal is real nice! I love it. It is smooth and fast.

The SS 277 snare stand is double braced and sturdy. It could stand to have finer teeth on the basket tilter though. That is the only thing that I noticed about it that is questionable.

I still love this kit and I look forward to plying it whenever I can.

Attachments

• 0712011956.jpg
    0712011956.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 705
My hard working Safari kit ...

Seen here at our weekly blues jam in downtown Memphis, it's un-miced and outside ... and still plenty loud.
The drummers that come down and sit in with us are amazed with the kit, and I've heard more than once ... " I gotta get one of these"

Photo from our weekly facebook invitation

Westyspromo.jpg

Convincing reviews from the guys that play them. Currently using TRAPS for the ultra small places but always felt something was lacking in audience appeal.. Just pulled the trigger on a black galaxy at zzsounds. The Canopus Club Kit will just have to wait.

How many lugs do the rack tom have? :)
I'm not sure 'bout it, been changing my mind lately...
I think I want a 20" x 14", 12" x 8", 14" x 14" set-up.

How many lugs do the rack tom have? :)
I'm not sure 'bout it, been changing my mind lately...
I think I want a 20" x 14", 12" x 8", 14" x 14" set-up.

On the Safari both the 10" and the 14" floor tom have 6-lugs per head. If you're looking for the 20,12,14 combination, I suggest you check out the Ludwig Epic Downbeat kit.

I have been away a bit.

I thought I'd post an update on my snare explorations.

It tooks a bit, but - I found quite a sweet spot sound with the snare - for the music I'm currently playing in this cover band. I wish I had something that could capture good audio at the last gig - I would have loved to post it.

For this band, that Safari snare is now my go to snare. Couldn't sound any better.

Back