Truth or Shine?

drummerchick435

Silver Member
Within the next 12-18 months I plan on buying my first ever custom drum kit! However, I'm in a quandary. Truth Custom Drums or Shine Custom Drums? I play metal, pop, punk, and Christian praise+worship. I've gotten quotes from both companies.

Shine Custom Drums
Pros: cheaper, better finishes
Cons: sound of drums, trustworthiness of the company

Truth Custom Drums
Pros: sound of drums, trustworthiness of the company, finishes are ok
Cons: expensive

My kit will be 22X18 or 22X20 kick and 10X8, 12X9, 14X14, 16X16 toms with black powder-coated hardware and a flat blue finish. My snares will be the Mapex Black Panther Fastback (side snare) and the Mapex Black Panther Black Widow (main snare). I will also use DW 9000 series hardware with Sabian AAX cymbals.

My suggestion is to go with your heart rather than your head. Drumming is an emotional experience and you should play a kit that you really dig. Something like choosing a mate. Trust in your gut feeling. Your body tells you what it wants, listen to it. Indulge.

You're right, Larry! I'm going with Truth! The Truth will set me free (of guilt and shame from a terrible drum purchase. lol)

Whichever you buy try to play them first. And where have you been hiding?

id go shine they are gorgeous drums and a local drummer has a set black with green racing strip very nice, i was thinking of getting one when i got my DWs

Wouldn't part of the purpose of getting a custom drum kit be because you want really well crafted, appealing looking... and sounding drums?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Shine drums don't sound terrible but if you think Truth drums sound better... a custom company is going to give you a wide selection of finishes you'd like.

And personally... I'd rather play a hideous looking kit that sounded amazing than I would one that looked fancy but sounded like I was hitting cardboard. It's an instrument, I don't see how sound shouldn't come first.

In my opinion, for the amount you are going to end up paying for a kit like that from a custom company such as those, you would be wiser to spend that hard earned money on a vintage set. I know you may be thinking, "Well, I want that modern sound!" but think of it this way, there is a reason vintage drums are so sought after by professionals/session guys; the sound. It is timeless. Those drums (Rogers, Slingerland, Gretsch, Ludwig, etc.) will ALWAYS be in style. A kit with matte black hardware will go out of style in the next few years.

Plus, the resale value on a good condition vintage set is MUCH better than any modern custom kit. Just go on eBay and take a browse.

But of course, if your heart is set on a custom set then by all means, go for it.

Seriously, what's the real difference between the two? Is it status? Some cult-like affiliation like being a member of the Free Masons or something?

They're both using Keller shells and charging you up the kazoo for their finishes. I just don't see the point. There are so many online drum makers that use the exact same shells with whatever parts you want (sourced from the same places as the two you mentioned) that there is no reason, from a drum construction standpoint, to go with either.

I will acknowledge that they both do nice finishes, but those are cosmetic and really have nothing to do with the sound.

My recommendation would be to just go to your nearest drum maker (every town seems to have at least one) and have them do your finish work if you want a stain. If you only want a wrap, you can have that done online as well.

Bottom line is you won't be able to tell the difference between those two (or any other Keller maple kit) sound-wise because they're all essentially the same drums.

Whichever you buy try to play them first. And where have you been hiding?

I will try to play them first.

College and the disconnect with my passion for drums drew me away from here. My passion has been reignited because some of my friends want to start a band, and they want me to their drummer. They think I'm talented or something which I honestly don't understand, but I want to get out again and start playing!

id go shine they are gorgeous drums and a local drummer has a set black with green racing strip very nice, i was thinking of getting one when i got my DWs

Thanks! I'll take that into consideration.

Wouldn't part of the purpose of getting a custom drum kit be because you want really well crafted, appealing looking... and sounding drums?

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Shine drums don't sound terrible but if you think Truth drums sound better... a custom company is going to give you a wide selection of finishes you'd like.

And personally... I'd rather play a hideous looking kit that sounded amazing than I would one that looked fancy but sounded like I was hitting cardboard. It's an instrument, I don't see how sound shouldn't come first.

All true, Chaos. I just want a kit that looks and sounds great on the inside and out since I'll be shelling out some major cash for it.

In my opinion, for the amount you are going to end up paying for a kit like that from a custom company such as those, you would be wiser to spend that hard earned money on a vintage set. I know you may be thinking, "Well, I want that modern sound!" but think of it this way, there is a reason vintage drums are so sought after by professionals/session guys; the sound. It is timeless. Those drums (Rogers, Slingerland, Gretsch, Ludwig, etc.) will ALWAYS be in style. A kit with matte black hardware will go out of style in the next few years.

Plus, the resale value on a good condition vintage set is MUCH better than any modern custom kit. Just go on eBay and take a browse.

But of course, if your heart is set on a custom set then by all means, go for it.

Well, I don't think a vintage kit will be good for a metal band. I'm gonna stick with the custom kit. Thanks for the post anyway though. Maybe in the future I'll buy a vintage kit to go along with my modern custom kit.

Seriously, what's the real difference between the two? Is it status? Some cult-like affiliation like being a member of the Free Masons or something?

They're both using Keller shells and charging you up the kazoo for their finishes. I just don't see the point. There are so many online drum makers that use the exact same shells with whatever parts you want (sourced from the same places as the two you mentioned) that there is no reason, from a drum construction standpoint, to go with either.

I will acknowledge that they both do nice finishes, but those are cosmetic and really have nothing to do with the sound.

My recommendation would be to just go to your nearest drum maker (every town seems to have at least one) and have them do your finish work if you want a stain. If you only want a wrap, you can have that done online as well.

Bottom line is you won't be able to tell the difference between those two (or any other Keller maple kit) sound-wise because they're all essentially the same drums.

Well, they are both relatively small, Christian drum makers so, as a Christian, I want to support them. I'm not excluding drum makers like DW or SJC because of their religious affiliation. They're just a little too expensive for me. I don't want a religious argument here.

I'll think about what you posted though!

Have you also considered Risen Drums?

Another Custom drum co. that uses Keller shells and markets to a specific audience.

-Jonathan

Well, I don't think a vintage kit will be good for a metal band. I'm gonna stick with the custom kit. Thanks for the post anyway though. Maybe in the future I'll buy a vintage kit to go along with my modern custom kit.

You might be surprised. I use my '63 Rogers on everything from heavy rock to jazz. They are some of the punchiest, loudest, and generally best sounding drums I have EVER heard. My 20"x14" kick (Rogers) is a mf'n cannon. It's even louder/punchier than my 22"x20"; and that is with no mics. Run it through a PA and that thing will literally rattle the room.

Another thing to consider is that a shallower kick in general will allow for better control while playing double pedal patterns. I am by no means and expert when playing double pedal but I find it much easier to control my "stickings" when playing the 20"x14".

Ultimately, you will be paying at least $5000 dollars for a kit that isn't particularly great sound wise. Not to say that Keller shells are bad. I happen to make drums on the side and they are great shells, but the price that you will pay is LARGELY for the finish and the brand name. Vintage drums, especially Ludwig and Rogers, are great rock drums in general. They have a inherently very low fundamental tone, which suits rock/metal well.

Well, they are both relatively small, Christian drum makers so, as a Christian, I want to support them. I'm not excluding drum makers like DW or SJC because of their religious affiliation. They're just a little too expensive for me. I don't want a religious argument here.

I'll think about what you posted though!

Saw a couple national christian bands using truth drums, sounded really good live and the finishes were beautiful!!

Have you priced that Truth kit you are looking at? I priced one out after seeing a band and honestly I think it was more expensive than DW and that wasn't for a special finish

battlefield
shine
truth
risen

all christen drum makers i went to a show(with a pro sound system ) were the guy was using an risen kit i really didnt think it sounded any better than i could make my tama imperialstar's sound to be honest
id say go with a refrence or masterworks kit by pearl or go for some starclassics

I just dont get the Christian Drummaker thing. They will sell drums to anybody, even if your bands name was Satans Love Child. So what really is the differnce?

Have you also considered Risen Drums?

Another Custom drum co. that uses Keller shells and markets to a specific audience.

-Jonathan

Yeah. A friend of mine uses them, but I wasn't very impressed with them.

You might be surprised. I use my '63 Rogers on everything from heavy rock to jazz. They are some of the punchiest, loudest, and generally best sounding drums I have EVER heard. My 20"x14" kick (Rogers) is a mf'n cannon. It's even louder/punchier than my 22"x20"; and that is with no mics. Run it through a PA and that thing will literally rattle the room.

Another thing to consider is that a shallower kick in general will allow for better control while playing double pedal patterns. I am by no means and expert when playing double pedal but I find it much easier to control my "stickings" when playing the 20"x14".

Ultimately, you will be paying at least $5000 dollars for a kit that isn't particularly great sound wise. Not to say that Keller shells are bad. I happen to make drums on the side and they are great shells, but the price that you will pay is LARGELY for the finish and the brand name. Vintage drums, especially Ludwig and Rogers, are great rock drums in general. They have a inherently very low fundamental tone, which suits rock/metal well.

Perhaps later on in life, I'll buy a vintage kit in addition to my modern custom kit. :)

Saw a couple national christian bands using truth drums, sounded really good live and the finishes were beautiful!!

Have you priced that Truth kit you are looking at? I priced one out after seeing a band and honestly I think it was more expensive than DW and that wasn't for a special finish

Yeah. I priced it, and it came out to about $5,000. I don't know how expensive DW would be since they (to my knowledge) don't have the prices on their website.

go for sjc
those are awesome

They are pretty sweet!

battlefield
shine
truth
risen

all christen drum makers i went to a show(with a pro sound system ) were the guy was using an risen kit i really didnt think it sounded any better than i could make my tama imperialstar's sound to be honest
id say go with a refrence or masterworks kit by pearl or go for some starclassics

I'll keep that in mind. :)

I just dont get the Christian Drummaker thing. They will sell drums to anybody, even if your bands name was Satans Love Child. So what really is the differnce?

Well, it's not about who they sell the drums to. It's about who makes the drums. Everyone at Truth, Shine, Risen, and Battlefield are Christians so I want to support my fellow Christians.

Whatever you end up getting, please post some pics. I'm quite envious even though I have my dream kit. Nothing is more exciting than shopping for a shiny new set of drums. Savor it.

Whatever you end up getting, please post some pics. I'm quite envious even though I have my dream kit. Nothing is more exciting than shopping for a shiny new set of drums. Savor it.

I will most definitely!

I've thought long and hard about this all day, and I've decided to go with Truth!

Back