Need Help With Buying a Djembe

Illicom

Hey all,

So, call me ignorant but I'd never actually seen or heard anyone playing a djembe until a few days ago, and I've decided that I really want to get one and learn how to play it. The problem, of course, is that I have no idea where to start. So, a few questions...

-What type would you guys recommend, and how much should I spend? I see that there are a bunch of different manufacturers, sizes, and prices, and I have no idea what to get. I really don't want to spend a lot since I'm just learning...if I get good at it and end up having a lot of chances to play it, I'll buy an expensive one, but really less than $100 would be good here.

-How do I learn to play it? Of course I can just beat on it for a while and probably figure out the basics, but I'd like to learn patterns and proper technique. Can you guys point me in the direction for some good instruction? Something like a set of Youtube videos would even be helpful. I'm fairly musically inclined and I play weekly with a group of people, so I don't anticipate a huge learning curve, but I'm definitely going to need some guidance.

Thanks for the help! If I've missed any good old threads, I apologize.

Back