Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 01-18-2015, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Show your wood

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Hi DMC, good to have you here :)

I think I/we got lost in the terminology. This drum is stave construction, but staves of alternate colouring are not used to get the visual effect. In other words, there isn't a light stave, then a dark stave, then another light one, etc, as is the case with a mixed timber species example. The individual staves are taken from a specific part of the log, the section that transitions heart wood & sap wood. They're then effectively book matched to get the seamless cohesive look to the shell.

The reason for doing this isn't just visual, it's also a tonal choice.
OK, got it. The staving is so subtle, it is not so easy to see. Also, the wood appears to be spalted a bit - like there are minerals dissolved in it. Or is that the grain structure?
Old 01-18-2015, 10:12 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
OK, got it. The staving is so subtle, it is not so easy to see. Also, the wood appears to be spalted a bit - like there are minerals dissolved in it. Or is that the grain structure?
It's just the grain structure at the transition between heartwood & sapwood. The subtly is down to careful matching of the staves.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:46 PM
Gold Member

Don think I posted this snare in this thread, and seeing as it is more wood than many, it belongs here.
The shell is worm holed and spalted Bubinga. 13X7, die cast hoops, DW throw and adjustable butt with some Bubinga accents. The lugs are custom machined units from Allstar, and I made the lug casings from Rosewood.
The drum has no particular "good side". It looks great from any angle and plays so nice I almost fall into it.

Old 03-22-2015, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Now this is what the highest quality solid bubinga can look like! This is not made of different colour staves. It's the transition between heartwood & sapwood. Almost impossible to seamlessly match to this standard, unless your name happens to be Dean Price :)
I do not know what you mean by the highest solid Bubinga... but there are lots of sort of Bubinga wood : African Rosewood, Buvenga, Essingang, Kevazingo, Ovang, Waka etc

So all those woods are quality wood. I specially love the Richter Bubinga snare, timber selected and handmade in Berlin :

Old 03-22-2015, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniboun View Post
I do not know what you mean by the highest solid Bubinga... but there are lots of sort of Bubinga wood : African Rosewood, Buvenga, Essingang, Kevazingo, Ovang, Waka etc

So all those woods are quality wood.
I mentioned highest quality bubinga. It was a wood quality statement. The genus of the wood has nothing to do with quality. You can get poor quality & excellent quality in any wood species.

Additionally, you're factually incorrect. There are not "lots of sort of Bubinga wood". The names you mention are just alternative names for the same wood species pulled from a Wikipedia listing. There are however, lots of different qualities of bubinga available, & lots of different cuts / figuring too.

The Richter snare is very nice, but a pity about the match choice of generic black hardware & bright Trick strainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniongoon View Post
The shell is worm holed and spalted Bubinga.
Absolutely stunning shell. I especially love the wormholes!!
Old 03-22-2015, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I mentioned highest quality bubinga. It was a wood quality statement. The genus of the wood has nothing to do with quality. You can get poor quality & excellent quality in any wood species.

Additionally, you're factually incorrect. There are not "lots of sort of Bubinga wood". The names you mention are just alternative names for the same wood species pulled from a Wikipedia listing. There are however, lots of different qualities of bubinga available, & lots of different cuts / figuring too.

The Richter snare is very nice, but a pity about the match choice of generic black hardware & bright Trick strainer.

Absolutely stunning shell. I especially love the wormholes!!
Interesting debate ! I understand what you mean.
I do not know what you think about the Starphonic Bubinga snare, made in Japan. The Bubinga wood seems different from what we see on Custom bubinga snares. But I tested many Bubinga snare, from Custom to more conventionnal Bubinga snares.

The Starphonic is my favorite, sounds more woody, with a very warm grain and big amount of low ends. To my ears this Starphonic Bubinga is just exceptional ! This snare sings and for sure those 1,6mm groove hoops help a lot !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pG65BgjbXmo

Old 03-23-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Now this is what the highest quality solid bubinga can look like! This is not made of different colour staves. It's the transition between heartwood & sapwood. Almost impossible to seamlessly match to this standard, unless your name happens to be Dean Price :)
Quote:
Hi DMC, good to have you here :)

I think I/we got lost in the terminology. This drum is stave construction, but staves of alternate colouring are not used to get the visual effect. In other words, there isn't a light stave, then a dark stave, then another light one, etc, as is the case with a mixed timber species example. The individual staves are taken from a specific part of the log, the section that transitions heart wood & sap wood. They're then effectively book matched to get the seamless cohesive look to the shell.

The reason for doing this isn't just visual, it's also a tonal choice.
Hi Andy, I missed this post but had to reply of course ;-).
Thanks for the explanation on the colouring, I've been wondering about that. Beautiful build, looks seemless to me.

BTW: I see that's a smaller version with newer hardware, are you still building these bubinga snares?

OK, here's mine:
Attached Images

Old 03-24-2015, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric_B View Post
Hi Andy, I missed this post but had to reply of course ;-).
Thanks for the explanation on the colouring, I've been wondering about that. Beautiful build, looks seemless to me.

BTW: I see that's a smaller version with newer hardware, are you still building these bubinga snares?

OK, here's mine:
NICE GURU snare ! Any demo on this beautiful stuff :) ??
Old 03-25-2015, 07:59 PM
Gold Member

That Guru looks more like Walnut.
Ditto what Andy said about the Richter. Smoked tube lugs, black rims and chrome throw off to me is comparative to the Partridge family bus.

Most custom builders learn to stay away from more than two colours. However I recently bashed a guys snare for this, a few guys on the forum got all pissy with me, then the builder chimed in that he fought with his customer that ordered the snare, but the customer insisted on brass tension rods, spiky smoked lugs, chrome hoops and throw off. It ended up looking like a drum assembled using whatever was found in the spare parts box.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:04 PM
Gold Member

One of two Walnut snares I am building. The inlay is Olive Ash Burl.
Compare the wood type to the Guru above, hence the doubt it is Bubinga.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
One of two Walnut snares I am building. The inlay is Olive Ash Burl.
Compare the wood type to the Guru above, hence the doubt it is Bubinga
Looking good, must be great when it's ready.

About my snare: I'm no wood expert at all but Andy said it is bubinga, so who am I not to believe him?
And it looks the same as this bubinga snare (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...&postcount=431).
Old 03-25-2015, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
We've only built one more of these last year, & that was an up to date In-Tense hardware specification, but with the early heavy shell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniboun View Post
NICE GURU snare ! Any demo on this beautiful stuff :) ??
Eric's snare is an early model. The later models have different shell hardware, fixings, & strainer.

I found these two honest capture clips of Eric's snare. It's the actual one Eric now owns:

Kit solo with snare: https://youtu.be/g7NcbCLNcDA?t=2m44s

Solo snare demo: https://youtu.be/SgSpQJE-XSo?t=6m8s

Quote:
Compare the wood type to the Guru above, hence the doubt it is Bubinga.
Absolutely I can assure you it's bubinga. People are used to seeing the rather plain figured variety used in pretty much all ply drums & most solids too. occasionally you'll find nice veneers such as waterfall bubinga & other figurings, but very rarely in solid board form. These shells are made from highly figured boards transitioning heartwood & sapwood, hence the huge contrasts. There's no way you can get these colours from walnut. If you could, I'd be all over the boards like a rash!!! :)

Quote:
About my snare: I'm no wood expert at all but Andy said it is bubinga, so who am I not to believe him?
And it looks the same as this bubinga snare (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...&postcount=431).
Absolutely 100% guarantee it's bubinga. It's just in a rare form that people aren't used to. Additionally, there's very few builders who would dare to match such prominent colour variation boards such that they look seamless. Not blowing smoke up Dean's arse, but he's an absolute master at this.

& yes, confirmed, the link you put up is the only other one, & is in the latest In-Tense specification. It sold in seconds!!!! :(
Old 03-25-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
We've only built one more of these last year, & that was an up to date In-Tense hardware specification, but with the early heavy shell.

Not blowing smoke up Dean's arse, but he's an absolute master at this.

& yes, confirmed, the link you put up is the only other one, & is in the latest In-Tense specification.
Hi Andy, thanks for the info and the links, nice to see that again.
Yes, Dean is a fantastic master. The snare looks even more beautiful in person and has a great, unique sound.

Quote:
It sold in seconds!!!! :(
Shouldn't that be :-)?
;-)
Old 03-25-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:

Eric's snare is an early model. The later models have different shell hardware, fixings, & strainer.

I found these two honest capture clips of Eric's snare. It's the actual one Eric now owns:

Kit solo with snare: https://youtu.be/g7NcbCLNcDA?t=2m44s

Solo snare demo: https://youtu.be/SgSpQJE-XSo?t=6m8s
Nice demo, sounds good. Love this snare :)