Added a 18" bass drum to my MCA

Banana_oil

I found a cheap 18" bass drum on the bay. Wrong finish, but I have plans to strip the cover but I'm not sure if I can have it look the same as the rest plus that the WMP finish is so sweet :)

PA170050.jpg

PA170049.jpg

PA170047.jpg

PA170046.jpg

I agree with Caddy, There is nothing harder than trying to match a factory stained wood finish.
Cover the rest of the drums to match the bass, or cover all of the drums in a different wrap.

Ditto. Having taken the wrap off of a few drums to make my Bumble Bee Bop set, you never know what may be under that wrap. If it glued, you may lose some wood getting the wrap off, and then wood filler will not stain well. Unless you really like that natural finish I would wrap the rest in the WMP>

Ditto. Having taken the wrap off of a few drums to make my Bumble Bee Bop set, you never know what may be under that wrap. If it glued, you may lose some wood getting the wrap off, and then wood filler will not stain well. Unless you really like that natural finish I would wrap the rest in the WMP>

Thanks for your opinions! Haven't considering the option of covering the other drums. Not a bad idea, but I really like the natural finish and I will only use the 18" occasionally so I think I keep them as they are. I got the drum for roughly a fourth of the list price so I'm still satisfied.

Wrong finish, but I have plans to strip the cover but I'm not sure if I can have it look the same as the rest

If you take your time, it's pretty easy to "come close". Go to a custom hard wood shop, with drum in hand, and ask salesperson for help. Certain stains can be "toned down" or "darkened up", as need be.​
And in this particular case, where the toms all match, you have a lightning/perspective optical illusion working in your favor. With lights/shadows hitting the surfaces at different angles, the human eye "sometimes" see's the same color, even when it's not. What would be much harded, would be matching up two rack toms, where they would be side-by-side. The eye would have an easier time spotting "off hue".​
My Ludwig kit, two drums have the factory finish, two drums are "home made" dye jobs.​
You might also think to go darker on the kick drum "on purpose", and try to only match the wood hoops (lighter) with the toms. That can be a nice combo.​

Attachments

• ludwig1.jpg
    ludwig1.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 420
  • ludwig2.jpg
    ludwig2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 410
Last edited:
Nowadays i feel like the cheapest or easiest way to get a complete MCA kit on european ebay is to buy loose drums like 22" bass 16" floor 10" tom and 12" tom in different colors and stuff, mixing the finishes completly. Btw beautiful kit.

I'm not too worried about the colour match because they are not stained, only darkened by sunlight. I'm more worried about getting rid of all glue and get a nice surface. I think I leave it at it is for a while.

Henke90: Maybe you can buy different colours and then wrap them in WMP? Can't be too difficult and expensive. Alternatively you sand them and oil them to get the vintage natural finish.

I'm more worried about getting rid of all glue and get a nice surface. I think I leave it at it is for a while.

Use Jasco first .... and then all you need to do to the shell is some light sanding.

Attachments

• MP80816709_bg.jpg
    MP80816709_bg.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 365
I don't see why you a need a re-cover (either on the bass or on the toms). It looks okay to me. The snare doesn't match either, does it?

Btw Harry Conway, I like your setup.

Back