Joey Kramer joins Pearl Drum Company

So Kevin Packard leaves Ludwig for Pearl and now Ben Sesar, Joey Kramer and our own Bo Eder follow suit. Hmm... coincidence???

This is the 2nd time Joey has left Ludwig to join Pearl.

With times at Tama and DW in between.

He wasn't even with Ludwig all that long.

So Kevin Packard leaves Ludwig for Pearl and now Ben Sesar, Joey Kramer and our own Bo Eder follow suit. Hmm... coincidence???

As I've said many time before, many endorsement changes are due to people behind the scenes moving from one company to another.

Joey has actually switched companies quite a few times. He went from Ludwigs-Fibes-Ludwigs-Tama-Ludwigs-Pearl-Tama-DW-Ludwigs- and now back to Pearl again. He switched back to Ludwig in 2010 after endorsing DW for 17 years! I believe he was using a Keystone/Legacy kit.

Joey has actually switched companies quite a few times. He went from Ludwigs-Fibes-Ludwigs-Tama-Ludwigs-Pearl-Tama-DW-Ludwigs- and now back to Pearl again. He switched back to Ludwig in 2010 after endorsing DW for 17 years! I believe he was using a Keystone/Legacy kit.

hmmm.....sounds like many on this DW site, except we bought our kits.

Well, interesting, but at the end of the day who cares? In my humble opinion it's only business! They endorse (are endorsed by?) a company, we (you) buy that company's kits (and make a lot of additional unpaid advertising …) and that's it! I believe that some great drummers really like what they play, but then again: they tell us in all possible ways how good their kits are (magazines, videos, YouTube), and some days later they already endorse another brand (Colaiuta, Kramer, Carlock, etc.).

That's fine with me, I just moved up a notch on the Ludwig roster! Look out Ringo,,, :)

Bermuda

That's fine with me, I just moved up a notch on the Ludwig roster! Look out Ringo,,, :)

Bermuda

That is funny!

Peace and goodwill.

Many times the reason for an endorser to leave a company has nothing to do with the drums or cymbals . It is the Artist Relations people at the Company. Kevin Packard brought Joey into Ludwig and when Kevin left Ludwig for Pearl Joey followed suit.

I always liked looking on the back of a baseball card and seeing a player's commitment to a team that he played with for years and years. Like Willie Stargell, the old Pirate - like

1966 Pittsburgh Pirates
1967 Pittsburgh Pirates
1968 Pittsburgh Pirates
1969 Pittsburgh Pirates
1970 Pittsburgh Pirates etc etc

Let's hear it for Bermuda, who drum endorsement trading card may look like

Ludwig
Ludwig
Ludwig
Ludwig
Ludwig

I think this ship jumping endorsing thing is silly.

I still say, that although the drums and products of many manufacturers are great, it's probably about support more than anything else. Even here at Disneyland, when that Yamaha kit we use needs attention, we're not going to the store to buy stuff for it, Yamaha is notified and someone comes out to see what's happening with the kit. I can imagine being on a major tour somewhere in Europe and some parts break and you need replacements. Or, like when Gavin Harrison went on the David Letterman show, Sonor was actually responsible for getting him a kit to play, exact to his specs. All Gavin did was fly in, rehearse with the band, and do the show. How cool is that? And I know Kevin Packard flew up to NYC a few times to check in on ?uestlove for his show. It's an industry of service.

Reading around the major drum forums it appears that Kevin's arrival at Pearl, and his departure from Ludwig is a big event, he has a strong track record in developing brands, and seems to be well respected by his industry peers, I wonder if we'll see more transfers to Pearl in the future?

Service and money are surely the key determining factors. The drummers' preference in sound, aesthetics, perception of quality, and playability are all lesser factors, regardless of their statements to the contrary. Doesn't mean some won't show great loyalty toward the company they endorse. Much of that has to do with personal relationships, yet another more significant factor that plays a role in which drums a famous drummer plays.

Many times the reason for an endorser to leave a company has nothing to do with the drums or cymbals . It is the Artist Relations people at the Company. Kevin Packard brought Joey into Ludwig and when Kevin left Ludwig for Pearl Joey followed suit.

That makes a lot of sense. Hopefully Joey has good luck with Pearl.

Now I may finally get his signature Ludwig snare at a better price!! Aerosmith has always been my favorite band, seen them last year for the first time in about 30 years and they are still so good live..though Joey did mess up on the intro of the song "lick and a promise"

I find this all quite upsetting... I think you should be endorsed because you fully stand by that product, not some daft behind the scenes politics as it seems. Id love to be endorsed by dixon and play a fuse kit, as I think they are amazing kits despite the bad rep dixon have and the mid market aimed kit. I stand behind drums I like.

I find this all quite upsetting... I think you should be endorsed because you fully stand by that product, not some daft behind the scenes politics as it seems. Id love to be endorsed by dixon and play a fuse kit, as I think they are amazing kits despite the bad rep dixon have and the mid market aimed kit. I stand behind drums I like.

It's not so much politics as it is support. You should do a month-long tour of one-nighters supporting your gear yourself to see how unpolitical that is ;)

Back