Dave King

A very thoughtful player...

I've seen Dave with the Bad Plus a few times. He's a very inspirational player. Very progressive in his approach to jazz. His playing is rambunctious and joyful, and very enjoyable for people outside the common jazz audience. He really brings something new to the table.
The new BP record with Josh Redman is great.

I had a rather funny conversation with Dave about cymbals being designated as "crash" or "ride". I believe he called that fascism. It was pretty funny, and he seemed like a really approachable guy.
I do feel there is getting to be a bit of a fan cult around him. But his playing is so musical that he really seems unfazed by the celebrity he's earned among drum dorks like myself. The flamboyance in his playing serves the music, and not the goal of showing off for fans.
If you're into his stuff, I'd also recommend you check out Scott Amendola, a Bay Area musician who drums with Charlie Hunter as well as his own band. For me, he's right up there with Dave King.

Re: Dave King - help identifying gear/technique

Hi -

Been trying to learn more about jazz drumming and in the process became a huge Dave King fan. One of the songs that just blew me away is 'Everywhere You Turn' from 'These are the Vistas'.

When I heard the studio version, I initially had trouble identifying the drum hits repeating through most of the song. Sounded like a cross between a really tight tom and a snare...

There is a live video here:

https://youtu.be/UjmmiI_YqOc

The studio version is here:

https://youtu.be/34RsdhnBFC0

If anyone with more experience in jazz drumming would care to offer some analysis of this track I'd be very grateful - it's a really inspirational piece.

It looks like he's got the snare tuned very high and is hitting with his hand so as to not engage the snares at all, or just minimally (I could be completely off). Other than that he's on the ride with brush.

Any comments on gear, technique, etc. used would be much appreciated. This stands out as a great example of 'less is more'.

Last edited:
Sort of a very standard jazz or fusion medium high tuning to me.

Playing a kit with bare hands isn't new. Papa Jo did it, even Bonham did during his solos.

To me the snare is off until about 3:50. The back beat is pretty much the same as you would get an open tone on a conga. You hit the rim a bit palm.

Concept is just the same as jazz has always been. It's not swing, but the concept is to just be able to keep the time moving and the be free to comp, elaborate and build dynamically without ever loosing the drive. In this case just slowly building the intensity.

A fine drummer and a good comedian. He lives here in the Twin Cities, so I see him often. My group opened for his trio a few years back. His drums were in New York, and I told the club manager he was welcome to use mine. He was very gracious and thankful. When the gig ended, he was tearing down my drums and packing them. That's class!

Back