The first day of the rest of my life

THC

For what seems like months I’ve been spending countless hours contemplating what acoustic kit I want to get. I had bought a used Pearl kit several months ago, but upon closer inspection, it was trashed. I sold it, bought a Roland TD-4 and started putting away for another acoustic kit.
It was between:
1. Whatever I could find used on Craigslist, and I was watching it at all times.
2. Sonor Safari (the inexpensive route)
3. Gretsch Catalina
4. Mapex Meridian

Well, I couldn’t take it any longer. I finally made up my mind and pulled the trigger on this brand new little emerald.
Mapex Meridian Birch 10/12/14/22
+ full hardware package. Boom stand, straight stand, snare stand, hi-hat stand, kick pedal. for $850. otd

3-29-2011047.jpg

3-29-2011042.jpg

3-29-2011041.jpg

3-29-2011040.jpg

3-29-2011031.jpg

3-29-2011025.jpg

3-29-2011019.jpg

3-29-2011015.jpg

3-29-2011011.jpg

3-29-2011007.jpg

3-29-2011001.jpg

The whole enchilada. On my Roland you can see I also have my practice pad set up so it pivots around where I need it. I can go acoustic, electric, or pad, all from the same seat.
I can also connect my laptop and cell phone through everything and do actual work IN my kit. (oh, if the boss only knew)
3-29-2011023.jpg

Now I need to start looking for some good used cymbals

Happy days

Thanks for looking..

oh, and the Pearl cymbals are NOT what I'm using. Those normally hang on the wall, but I have no cymbals yet, so I just threw those hi-hats on until then.

They have GOT to be the worst sounding hi-hats in the history of modern man. (blech!!)

Very nice looking kit man. You will love them. Good choice. Make sure you have the little black patch to put on the bass drum hoop before you clamp the pedal on. Could not tell in the picture.

Alright!!!!

Great purchase, man! I own a set of Meridians myself and really, I'm sure they won't dissapoint you.

I changed the stock heads for Coated Emperors over Coated Ambassadors on mine and they tune beautifully. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Anyway, they're definitely very good drums with outstanding hardware and beautiful finishes. It's hard to find negative comments about these drums. :)

Congrats on the purchase, enjoy!

PS: May I reccomend some Zil A's and K's for cymbals?.. ;)

Cheers.

Last edited:
Thanks sticks. Yep, it's on there.

I was initially looking around for a solid white kit after seeing yours. I really like the classic white look, but this emerald green fade really jumped out at me.

Thanks sticks. Yep, it's on there.

I was initially looking around for a solid white kit after seeing yours. I really like the classic white look, but this emerald green fade really jumped out at me.

You made a great choice. Have fun, and Congratulations.

diegobxr - Thanks, and your recommendations have been duly noted.

Nice looking kit. Are you planning on getting some cymbals?

LOL...I was thinking about it.

Cymbals are going to be a harder decision than the drums were. Since you mentioned it though, the shop where I bought the drums has the full Zildjian K pack listed at 1/2 off at $600.

Is that a good deal, or you think I should buy all used from CL?

One issue I found with this new kit, as well as the Export I had, was that my bodies all out of proportion and I have a hard time reaching the toms with the designed setup. I'm 6'2" and apparantly have long femurs and short arms because when I have my bass drum set up properly I have to lean in a bit for the toms.
I went ahead and flipped the bass drum around and reversed the toms. WOW, what a difference. It lost a bit of stability with the spurs on the opposite end, but the improved ergos are well worth it.

3-30007.jpg

3-30001.jpg

Background1.jpg

diegobxr - Thanks, and your recommendations have been duly noted.

LOL...I was thinking about it.

Cymbals are going to be a harder decision than the drums were. Since you mentioned it though, the shop where I bought the drums has the full Zildjian K pack listed at 1/2 off at $600.

Is that a good deal, or you think I should buy all used from CL?

One issue I found with this new kit, as well as the Export I had, was that my bodies all out of proportion and I have a hard time reaching the toms with the designed setup. I'm 6'2" and apparantly have long femurs and short arms because when I have my bass drum set up properly I have to lean in a bit for the toms.
I went ahead and flipped the bass drum around and reversed the toms. WOW, what a difference. It lost a bit of stability with the spurs on the opposite end, but the improved ergos are well worth it.

I think $600 sounds alright, depending on how many cymbals you get, but obviously you're bound to save money by buying used. But it will take longer to track cymbals down. Also really if you're happy with the setup then that's the most important thing.

Been doing some cymbal shopping last few days. :) .All used.

I think this is a decent setup for a little while.

This is the big boy. Amazing This thing has so many different sounds, it's like a whole cymbal pack in one.
Sabian 22" Prototype Ride - $270.
46011.jpg

Sabian 16" XS20 Med/Thin Crash - $80.
46024.jpg

Zildjian 14" Quick Beat Hi Hats - $140.
46016.jpg

Zildjian 14" ZHT Med/Thin Crash - $60.
46025.jpg

46027.jpg

thoughts?

Back