Ludwig Supraphonic 402 - Smooth or Hammered?... Imperial or Tube Lugs? Help!

THAT'S the one I was thinking of! I knew it had a 4 in the name.
Was looking for that same pic too.
That one's a little smaller too.

(drooled over that Maple 6.5 in the 1980 catalog)

I wonder how many of us are out here who spent many a day (and night) drooling over the pages of that catalog. It was the "Sears Wish-Book" for drummers and percussionists!

I wonder how many of us are out here who spent many a day (and night) drooling over the pages of that catalog. It was the "Sears Wish-Book" for drummers and percussionists!

Hang the catalogue........that hammered bronze supra that I don't need and couldn't afford, arrived today. Drooling over the real thing now.

Bring on tomorrow when I can actually tune the thing up and play it!! :)

Available in November. I sent him a message for the cost too.
Sculpted Keystone shape on the plate too.
He must really love Ludwig to go through the trouble to make it like this.

46033_1448875664208_1302704245_31236649_1965663_n.jpg

I'm getting at least one for my Brass BB's, and one for my CM wood (being re-finished in Black Glass Glitter). I don't care that it has the space cut out for the bead on a wood shell, the keystone shape looks kick ass.
I liked his throws before, but this one is smaller and I like a smaller profile on throws.

Happy B-day to wife, and have fun with your snare!!

Available in November. I sent him a message for the cost too.
Sculpted Keystone shape on the plate too.

46033_1448875664208_1302704245_31236649_1965663_n.jpg

I'm getting at least one for my Brass BB's, and one for my CM wood (being re-finished in Black Glass Glitter). I don't care that it has the space cut out for the bead on a wood shell, the keystone shape looks kick ass.
I liked his throws before, but this one is smaller and I like a smaller profile on throws.

Happy B-day to wife, and have fun with your snare!!

Thanks Karl.

Nice big pic again!

Pics of the snare will come soon. I'll take some of it at our studio.

I really dig that throw off. I think it will make a nice upgrade to the P-85.

OK... So I could not wait. I snapped a few pics of my new LM402KT. Can't wait to get it to the studio now and sit with it for a few hours.... change some heads, etc. More pics to follow.

Thank you all again for your continued input!

Attachments

• LM402KT_4.jpg
    LM402KT_4.jpg
    480.9 KB · Views: 1,108
  • LM402KT_2.jpg
    LM402KT_2.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 1,056
  • LM402KT_7.jpg
    LM402KT_7.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 1,011
  • LM402KT_6.jpg
    LM402KT_6.jpg
    474.1 KB · Views: 1,100
OK... So I could not wait. I snapped a few pics of my new LM402KT. Can't wait to get it to the studio now and sit with it for a few hours.... change some heads, etc. More pics to follow.

Oh my, that's a thing of beauty!

Hang the catalogue........that hammered bronze supra that I don't need and couldn't afford, arrived today. Drooling over the real thing now.

Bring on tomorrow when I can actually tune the thing up and play it!! :)
Ha ha! Pics or it didn't happen!

The thing is , there are alot of unhappy P-85 owners out there and there are so many Supras and Acros out there. There is definitely a big market.

I don't care that it has the space cut out for the bead on a wood shell, the keystone shape looks kick ass.

The thing is , you can get the throw without the bead spacing. The R4 is without spacing, R4L is with bead spacing.
Edit:I just noticed the R4 does not have the same keystone shape to it

Attachments

• 2137714_290.jpg
    2137714_290.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 975
So it's been a while... Tried some of my standard combination's for the snare the first day I brought it to our studio.

I love it! Threw on a die cast on the top and changed the bottom out with a triple flange. I tried my usual CS reverse black dot and then tried a CS smooth white black dot on top. That was it for me! The snare cuts great and I can get that warm pop I like.

I haven't changed the throw yet, but that will be next. Waiting for the R4-L, unless it's out I and don't know it.

I didn't tell my bass & guitarist about the new drum when they arrived at the studio... We started to jam and their heads turned. They smiled and so did I. It cuts so nice and records like a dream.

Thank you all for your input again... still more pics to come when I have a chance.

...but the P85 sucks azz nuts. It gets stuck when I try to put it back in snare position. Any suggestions on what I can replace it with???
I'd almost recommend the P86 because it doesn't get stuck and I like the side action better, but it's also a pretty flimsy design - and not worth $40, IMO.

"Beautiful Looking Snare, Damon"
Congrats!!!

Great snare Damon!! Looks sweet with the Tubes too.

I heard the Smooth White BD was a real nice head. Still have to try it. Might really have to order some now because that's more than 2 people who have said it was cool.

Mendo, yeah, I knew the one Dunnett throw doesn't have the bead cut out, but I want the keystone shape, so cut out it is! :)

November is supposed to be release for the R4L, but I have no idea on the price.

I like the P-86, but yeah, it's not super rock solid like a Trick or Dunnett, but it hasn't failed or rattled in the 4 or more years since I got them, so I can't complain (and they look nice).

Have fun with the snare Damon!!

"Pocket-full-of-gold;750393]Hang the catalogue........that hammered bronze supra that I don't need and couldn't afford, arrived today. Drooling over the real thing now.

Bring on tomorrow when I can actually tune the thing up and play it!! :) "

So! How do you like it? Is she everything you thought it would be?

So! How do you like it? Is she everything you thought it would be?

In it's own right, it's a gem JB. Very pleased with it. I've put a coated Emp on the batter and can totally understand why people describe the tone as "woody". At this early stage, it really does seem to provide that perfect balance netween a metal and wood snare. And at less than half the Aussie retail cost, for a drum that is a year old, I think I've found a winner.

Unfortunately, I'm undergoing renovations at home, so my kit and other snares are being stored far and wide at the moment. I've been unable to try the thing out with the kit and also haven't been able to line the supra, BB and bronze up for a sound test. My initial thoughts are that it's actually drier than the supra, I'm assuming this has to do with the hammering, but as stated, I won't know for sure until I can a/b/c the three of them together.

My initial verdict? Yet another fine sounding snare from Ludwig......glad I bought it....even if I don't really need it and have more pressing things to spend my money on. Now, just for a Brady jarrah stave and I'll stop buying snares.......promise. :)

Back