Mah Boo'

Swissadiddle

I've always been an avid visitor and explorer of drummerworld.com.
However, I've never bothered to check out the other sections of the site, besides bios/histories of the all-time best drummers.
Until now...
I'm new to the forum, but a decently experienced drummer and percussionist.
Here are some pictures of my set, since I bought it back in 2006.
it's a Gretsch Catalina Maple (with several custom accessories incorporated into it).
Feel free, to ask any question that you feel is necessary.

Let's start with, when I first got it.

06'

Cymbals
Sabian- B8: 14" Crash, 18" China, & 10" China Splash.
Paiste- 502 20" Ride, 302 20" Ride, 12" Splash, & 16" Sound Formula.
Random 14" Hi-Hats
Heads
Bass- Stock Gretsch Double Ply 22" head.
Snare- Evans 14" HD Dry.
Toms- 10", 12", 14", 16" Evans EC2 Frosted (Yes- Frosted. I don't believe they're a truly 'coated' head).
Pedal
Pearl TW-122 Double Pedal.
Hi-Hat Stand
Groove Percussion Stock Hi-Hat Pedal.
Sticks
Vater Manhattan & Recording.

IMG_6712.jpg

IMG_6713.jpg

IMG_6722.jpg

Later on that Year...

Addition- Paiste 502 16" Thin Crash.

IMG_7105.jpg

IMG_7106.jpg

& onto 07'...
I became, rather fed-up with the blandish look and feel of the whole steve Gadd set-up... So, after a year of earning up money, a quick visit to Sam Ash, and $500 later, I was able to set it up as shown:
Additions- Sabian AAX- 14" Stage Hats, 16" & 18" AAX-plosion Crashes, & 20" Stage Ride & 16" World Percussion China Cymbal.

l_cfa8f8be3d51a5dfcb17504cd220c0d4.jpg

IMG_7595.jpg

IMG_7597.jpg

IMG_7598.jpg

Now, at the end of 07', I replaced the Heads from Evans to Remo's...
Toms- Coated Emperors
Snare- Emperor-X
Bass- Powerstroke 3

The only thing is that I didn't take any pictures of it, so there's nothing to show you....

Up until 08' When I moved the set to a friend's studio for a Jazz Combo I was doing at the time... Oh and did I mention I bought my Pearl Eliminators at the beginning of the Year, thus we have:

Additions- Pearl Eliminater Double Pedal & AAX 10" Splash.

l_eb1c01f4079f457b93d84acbe2f78b4e.jpg

After a good amount of months with these over-used heads, I decided I need to change them... Don't get me wrong- Coated Remos, are like fine wine... They get better with age.
At least, when it comes to jazz & Swing.
But, After a change of bands and genre, I knew I needed something more modern. Something with an impecable reputation in the world of ROCK....

My current Set-up
includes...

Heads
Toms- Evans EC2s 10", 14", & 16".
Snare- Evans HD Dry 14".
Bass- Evans 22" Emad 2.

Cymbals
Sabian AAX- 10" Splash, 14" Stage Hats, 15" Studio Crash, 18" AAX-Plosion Crash, 20" Stage Ride,.
18" World Percussion Chinese Cymbal & a Paiste 8" Accent cymbal (Great for that dry ping-y accent on lighting fast fills).

By the way, I know the whole set looks like it's tilted on the 2nd picture, but don't be fooled... It's just the cowbell mount, I have it at a specific angle so that I can still do rim-knocks with a clanky sound from the upper body of that monster cow-bell.

IMG_2714.jpg

IMG_2715.jpg

IMG_2716.jpg

IMG_2713.jpg

IMG_2723.jpg

IMG_2727.jpg

After a hard day's work...

IMG_2728.jpg

IMG_7601.jpg

Thanks for taking interest in my post, hope you enjoyed it, and I can guarantee you that there will be more updates in the near future!
Stay tuned for more....

Oh and as I stated in the beginning, don't be shy- Ask any question you feel is necessary... I'm not much a critic, I only wish to help out the drumming community as much as I possibly can.

Yours truly,
- Juan

Nice finish. The 1 up 2 down set up looks a lot more cleaner.

awesome looking kit dude! Welcome to the forum, you're now officially a part of the coolest group on the internet! Miramar, huh? Hey, if you can, come out this thursday night to Tobacco Road in Miami and check out my progressive metal band, Carthage. We go on at 11 o'clock.

awesome looking kit dude! Welcome to the forum, you're now officially a part of the coolest group on the internet! Miramar, huh? Hey, if you can, come out this thursday night to Tobacco Road in Miami and check out my progressive metal band, Carthage. We go on at 11 o'clock.

Thursday?
Damn, sorry man. I, myself have a gig to attend to...

Keep me updated on your band though, and let me know if you cross over into the Broward County line anytime in the near future!

Good Luck, and Rock on!

- Juan

How do you like the EC2 heads on your toms??
I have the same set, and I'm looking for new heads.

Bram

In all honesty...

They are, by far, the best heads that I've put on the toms.

The smooth sound of Clear EC2 batter heads, coupled with the warmth of EC1 resonants, will make your maple shells sound out of this world... Crank up a Genera 2, or an HD Dry on the Snare... and the comparison will within your set will leave you speechless.... Not because you won't be able to describe it or anything, but because you'll never want to stop playing it to do the least bit of talking!

I strongly urge you to make these your next heads, you won't be dissapointed.
- Juan

Wow I love the look of your kit! Looking at it just makes me think rich ass son of a (Thats a joke:p)

I'd love to see a video of you playing that kit.

Back