Drum n bass question

h3r3tic

Silver Member
Hey guys! how's it going?

Well I'm really loving this style of music. It's so energetic and simply amazing!
One thing that I've noticed when playing this style of music I tend to not use the rack toms that much but more my snare drums (13" and 10") is it normal to not use the rack toms that much?

Is this normal? has it happen to any of you that play drum n bass on the drum set?
I'm also thinking in adding some electronic stuff on the acoustic drum set, maybe some electronic pads, who knows...

One thing that I've noticed when playing this style of music I tend to not use the rack toms that much but more my snare drums (13" and 10") is it normal to not use the rack toms that much?

Is this normal? ...

I would hate to classify anything as "normal" as you put it... but I would say(in my limited experience w/ this subject) that in the D+B genre(for lack of a better term) that multi-tom oriented fills and a huge array of cymbals and toms would kind of defeat the purpose of why its called "drum 'n' bass".
Would JoJo need Neil's set? Not sayin it cant be done, but I ve noticed that generally most drummers that are akin to this style, have smaller sets with mostly just the basics.
No matter the size of the set, tasteful and talented drumming can make a WORLD of difference to ANY song. Just my little opinion in this great big world...
Anyway, You shouldnt hesitate to add some triggers or E-components to your kit, I ve been thinking of doing it myself. Anyone have personal experience with the Mandala pads? Its simply another way of expressing your "voice" so to say.

No. You should wail on your rack toms all the time, and forget about playing solid time with your hi-hat, bass drum and snare drum. That was sarcasm, by the way.

Can't remember ever hearing a single tom in all those years i wasted listening to dnb :p

That said, there should be no right or wrong in music, it's just what sounds good by your judgment. Who knows, try playing the snare and HH parts on the high and low tom - if it's working, use it. I'd imagine bongos/percussion bits could have some potential.

LOL @ WAVELENGTH

I have extensively studied many, many styles of electronic music and don't worry, you're doing the right thing, toms should be used sparingly, if ever, in straight jungle.

Obviously Jojo occasionally uses tom fills and whatnot with nerve, but he has created a new syntax in music, which has imho created something completely new, but yeah (i could go on about this sort of thing for hours, i'll shutup now.)

Anyway, I believe it depends on what you're trying to play; you have Kj sawka's kinda style, which is more common, and leans a bit more towards breakcore and broken up modern stuff voiced over quite a few instruments (still cymbal bass and snare based though), and then you have Jojo, who is in a league of his own obviously playing oldschool jungle, basically old jazz beats, massively sped up, often chopped and replaced and all that jazz, throwing in the odd tome fills to keep it interesting.

not sure if that's what you wanted to hear, but that's my two cents

LOL @ WAVELENGTH

I have extensively studied many, many styles of electronic music and don't worry, you're doing the right thing, toms should be used sparingly, if ever, in straight jungle.

Obviously Jojo occasionally uses tom fills and whatnot with nerve, but he has created a new syntax in music, which has imho created something completely new, but yeah (i could go on about this sort of thing for hours, i'll shutup now.)

Anyway, I believe it depends on what you're trying to play; you have Kj sawka's kinda style, which is more common, and leans a bit more towards breakcore and broken up modern stuff voiced over quite a few instruments (still cymbal bass and snare based though), and then you have Jojo, who is in a league of his own obviously playing oldschool jungle, basically old jazz beats, massively sped up, often chopped and replaced and all that jazz, throwing in the odd tome fills to keep it interesting.

not sure if that's what you wanted to hear, but that's my two cents

Yeah KJ Sawka is sure a true inspiration
Ok, thanks for the advise guys! :)

Since all the d'n'b is based on drum loops (like the Amen Break) which then are chopped, sampled, sped up... etc and there was no tom fills in those grooves, fills are not that important, BUT you can use your toms creatively, approach them as just a different surface where to play the pattern, change it up a bit etc. Odd tom phrases works great as fills here and there! I approach d'n'b set-up similar as if I'd play jazz - toms are not just for fills, but for different colors, textures, accents and sometimes incorporated into grooves.
How about replacing some bass drum hits with flor tom? Maybe play some accents that you would play on the snare drum on your highest tom! There are plenty of possibilities, experiment and you will find what works for you, what sounds cool and what grooves the most!

Good luck!

Since all the d'n'b is based on drum loops (like the Amen Break) which then are chopped, sampled, sped up... etc and there was no tom fills in those grooves, fills are not that important, BUT you can use your toms creatively, approach them as just a different surface where to play the pattern, change it up a bit etc. Odd tom phrases works great as fills here and there! I approach d'n'b set-up similar as if I'd play jazz - toms are not just for fills, but for different colors, textures, accents and sometimes incorporated into grooves.
How about replacing some bass drum hits with flor tom? Maybe play some accents that you would play on the snare drum on your highest tom! There are plenty of possibilities, experiment and you will find what works for you, what sounds cool and what grooves the most!

Good luck!

wise words as always :)
thanks raymond! :)

Back