RIP Sam Ulano

Muckster

Platinum Member
I'm saddened to just learn that Sam Ulano passed away last week. Never met him in person but did have a few drum conversations with him in letters through the years. Nice man!

Sam Ulano died

…

For those who grew up in the NYC tri-state area in the 80's, Sam was an institution, the 'source'. You'd always find him at Manny's, and he'd teach you some stickings at the counter while you would be waiting for the cashier to ring you up. He did this with every drummer, whether he liked it or not. Generous in an old world kind way.

He was a consumate pro, who did the Catskills circuit in his hey days, but I knew him as the old guy everyone was going to for drum lessons in the late 80's and I have had the pleasure of learning a few things from him.. He's written a ton of instruction books, and had an incredible way of getting through to any kind of student. A true sign of a great teacher. Every big name drummer has something wonderful to say about him.

Sam wasnt as famous and celebrated as some of the others, but I think his contributions to the drumming community have been immense.

I will miss his warmth, kindness,and his gentlemanliness.

RIP: SAM ULANO. AUGUST 12 1920 - JANUARY 2 2014

When I was a mere 11-12 year old kid in Tn. all we had were the catalogs, Ludwig, Slingerland, Rogers, Zildjian, that's how we got our information and inspiration. No websites, blogs, facebook, youtube, not even MD or Drum! magazines.........

But then came Sam Ulano's 'Drummer World' newspapers! Oh my GOD! I loved getting these in the mail! It was my World as a kid.......Yes I'm from Nashville! Sam touched so many way before anyone else was doing it.....A true educational visionary he was.......I owe him a great deal.....

Love and may you RIP Mr. Ulano

Back