[REDACTED]

Im out of practice...but can read rhythm - including what some refer to as 'advanced notion' - artifical grouping for example...pitch is slower but I can do it - especially with overly complex key designations - very annoying when it can be noted far more simply.

its a great tool to have...dont let its esotaric nature deter you from persuit...tends to shut up the egotistical when you plop down a transcription of a part in front of them.

understanding different tabulature I have found far more useful overall...but then again, I avoid the music industry like the plague it is....

I'm an odd case in that I used to be able to read as a child, then as I got back into music a few years later as a teenager I'd forgotten how.

Now, I can read - just not well. It's a great flaw for me and one that is frustrated even more by the fact that I was a good sightreader of Piano music when I was about seven or eight. Now, I'm sitting there counting the stave and trying to remember which way around the tails go...

I read all the time. About 80% of my gigs require I read charts/lead sheets. Since what I practice is inside of books, I also read almost everything I'm practicing as well. I've also studied mallets, a little piano and have taken a few Theory classes. So reading is not a foreign concept to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
ABRSM grade 5 music - I *had* to learn to read to pass flute music grades... this translated to drum scores relatively easily..

I'd recommend learning to read - you can 'hear' so many drumming ideas just by looking at written drum music. It's the easiest, most accurate non aural way of communicating musical ideas...

Why not learn?

any person who wants to chase and reach their full potential as a musician should learn to read

not only rhythms.....but understand scales, modes, some common chord progressions, understand keys, the circle of fifths. etc etc

it will only empower you on your journey through this life as a music maker and a dreamer of dreams

Last edited:
I do all three. I can read music (former pianist). I can read drum tabs (in an emergency). I can hear, recognise and replicate (eventually!).

I sight-read like a boss, better than my teacher, but where I fail is when I have to play what ISN'T written down.

I can read rhythm (drums), but not pitch (guitar)... Well I can, but it's VERY slow.

I can 'kind of' read, but I hate doing it. I just play by ear. A lot of times, I'll find a piece of music that has written notation, and a sound file, and I just listen to the sound and go off of that. If I'm ever unsure, I'll look over the notation to double check that I've got it right.

It should go with the territory. If you're a studio musician, it's a must.

Dennis

I can read drum music, but not sight. I need a moment to work out what I'm looking at, then I can generally play what I've just read.

I play all percussion, including mallets, so I can read. On a good day, I can chew gum at the same time!!!!!!!!!

I can read fairly well, but it's outdone by my ability to listen and play. My old drum teacher used to listen to tracks I wanted to learn the drums from and then notate it near 100% accurately, even the ghost notes.

Reading for me isn't the real challenge, being able to notate is, I always throw down something when I'm jamming that I want to remember, but it takes me a long time to actually write it down, thankfully my muscles remember what I was doing haha.

i catn reda ro spel very guud i can onnly hite drumrs very hard i do guod my modder tells me i be gud, i think iam beter then neal perth i will be famouse one days so i donnut ned to read stoopid notes on papre

i catn reda ro spel very guud i can onnly hite drumrs very hard i do guod my modder tells me i be gud, i think iam beter then neal perth i will be famouse one days so i donnut ned to read stoopid notes on papre

Thaard - 1

thread - 0

I read well and it came in handy when I subbed for a 21 piece Big Band. I had one quick rehearsal and then played a three set gig which I had to sight read the charts. I would never have been able to play this gig if I could not read.

Back