My Ludwig Classic Maple Bonham Kit

Suds

Hi all, here are a few pics of my Ludwig Classic Maple Bonham kit in cherry stain finish.
I bought this kit in 2004, upgrading from a Pacific starter kit that I bought in 2000, shortly after my wife and I bought our house.

I always wanted to play the drums, but never had a chance growing up. I told my wife that when we get a house, I definitely want to get a drum set. She reluctantly agreed, and that was when I bought the Pacific kit and ZBT cymbals. I was 32 at the time.

A few months after, she got me three lessons with a teacher for my B'day, which I stuck with until the spring of 2005. At that time, the company that I was working for closed down, so I stopped taking lessons because of the cost.

For the last few years I've played some, but not as much as when I was taking lessons.
Just recently the passion came back and I slapped on some new Coated Emperors on my toms and picked up an Iron Cobra single pedal. Wow, what a difference these both made. I'm just now starting to appreciate the quality kit that I have.

Sorry for the long story, here are the pics. The last two were before I slapped on the Emps and ported the bass reso. At that time I was using Aquarian Performance II's, which sounded terrible on this kit.

Cymbals: The ZBT's are long gone!
Zildjian A's:
15" New Beats
17" Med/Thin Crash
19" Thin Crash
21" Sweet Ride
And a 7" Sabian Radia Cup Chime

IMG_0261.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

LudwigKit009.jpg

LudwigKit010.jpg

Beautiful kit. I love that cherry stain finish. Do you want to sell it ? LOL. You might want to try putting your ride cymbal where you bell is, that's where Bonham had his ( easy to get to ).Rock On Man!

Your ride cymbal is seriously small.

Kidding, great looking kit.

Thanks!

Beautiful kit. I love that cherry stain finish. Do you want to sell it ? LOL. You might want to try putting your ride cymbal where you bell is, that's where Bonham had his ( easy to get to ).Rock On Man!

I've tried my ride in that position, but I've always preferred it to be exactly opposite of my hats.

Totally diggin the zep kit - yeah those giant beats would be really beasty/vintage too - though im diggin the As as well!

those deep red drums are a beauty man, great kit! nothing beats a big 'ol rock kit!

Great looking kit. all it needs is that 24" ride I just got one for Christmas I have only been wanting one since 1983! Good Luck

Yup, I've had my eye on a 24" Giant Beat/2002 for a while. Maybe someday...

Do it man! The way I see it, if you're gonna do the bonzo thing, you've gotta go all the way. Great setup. If only playing his setup made us play like him.

Yup, I've had my eye on a 24" Giant Beat/2002 for a while. Maybe someday...

Yeah, get the Giant Beat. I have the GB ride and 20" inch crash and they sound AMAZING. If I want to get that Bonzo sound all I do it boost the highs and lows a little and there you go.

Nice looking kit man, I love the red

Thanks for all the comments.

Eventually I will probably go with all GB's or 2002's on this kit, but I think my next purchase is going to be an E-kit so I can practice whenever I want.
I figure at least a TD-9SX, which will tie up my funds for a while.

I also really like these A's, although I guess I could sell them and upgrade to the Paiste's. We'll see. The possibilities are plentiful, I just wish the funds were also...

Okay, I just had to say I absolutely love the red finish.

Thanks for all the comments.

Eventually I will probably go with all GB's or 2002's on this kit, but I think my next purchase is going to be an E-kit so I can practice whenever I want.
I figure at least a TD-9SX, which will tie up my funds for a while.

I also really like these A's, although I guess I could sell them and upgrade to the Paiste's. We'll see. The possibilities are plentiful, I just wish the funds were also...
You're not upgrading going to Paiste cymbals it's what you're ear likes.......Bonham is and will always be my favorite drummer but I like Zildjians (A's & K's only through).But if want to totally recreate his kit I understand.

Bonzolead

You're not upgrading going to Paiste cymbals it's what you're ear likes.......Bonham is and will always be my favorite drummer but I like Zildjians (A's & K's only through).But if want to totally recreate his kit I understand.

Bonzolead

Yup, "upgrade" wasn't the best wording. I thought of that afterward. I may switch to the Paiste's and upgrade the sizes to 18, 20 and 24, but for now the A's are sounding awesome!

Yup, "upgrade" wasn't the best wording. I thought of that afterward. I may switch to the Paiste's and upgrade the sizes to 18, 20 and 24, but for now the A's are sounding awesome!
What's cool about cymbals is that they sound better the older they get at least for Zildjians anyway LOL but i'm sure that's true for all high quality cymbals.
yes I always wanted a 24" ride but $350-$400+ dollars is a lot of money for 1 cymbal. I've had my 21" rock ride since 1985 and it hasn't. let me down yet. Good luck and by the way if I forgot................Sweet Kit I've always loved a nice kit of Ludwigs.

Bonzolead

if you get rid of those anytime soon hit me up. :)

BonzoLead It's funny you mentioned that you have a Zidjian Rock 21" That's the cymbal I replaced with the 24" 2002 . I got mine in the 80's two. And while that 21 served me well for 25 years . It's a great cymbal by the way That 24" is absolutely insane. I shopped around and got a pretty good deal under $300 .

BonzoLead It's funny you mentioned that you have a Zidjian Rock 21" That's the cymbal I replaced with the 24" 2002 . I got mine in the 80's two. And while that 21 served me well for 25 years . It's a great cymbal by the way That 24" is absolutely insane. I shopped around and got a pretty good deal under $300 .
Sweet I been comparing 24" rides lately Zildjian just came out with a 24" K light ride a nice cymbal for sure but I might be leaning towards a Zildjian "A" 24" medium ride , that K light ride doesn't. have the balls my 21" rock ride has believe it or not.I'm thinking it's because the rock ride is a thicker cymbal than the K ride. Zildjian also just came out with another 24" K ride but I haven't. heard or played one yet and I don't. like sound files on websites I like hearing drums & cymbals in person. as the quest for the right cymbal sound continues LOL

Keep Swattin',
Bonzolead

Back