Ringo tries to teach Matt Lauer a simple rock beat...

Wow, thanks MaryO for the heads up. Just gotta love Ringo. He looks fab at 71 too! I bet if he wanted to he could blow the pants off 98% of so-called better drummers/

Shouldn't he learn to play a basic rock beat himself before he teaches others?

GREAT video. It is always funny trying to teach people the basic rock beat. It seems so simple to a drummer, but it's like scaling Mt. Everest to a non-musician.

Shouldn't he learn to play a basic rock beat himself before he teaches others?

Troll Alert.

It is always funny trying to teach people the basic rock beat. It seems so simple to a drummer, but it's like scaling Mt. Everest to a non-musician.

Haha, so true!!

GREAT video. It is always funny trying to teach people the basic rock beat. It seems so simple to a drummer, but it's like scaling Mt. Everest to a non-musician.

I wonder how long Ringo actually spent trying to teach him....it sounds as if at one point Ringo's getting a little frustrated...."C'mon, think!" lol.

I wonder how long Ringo actually spent trying to teach him....it sounds as if at one point Ringo's getting a little frustrated...."C'mon, think!" lol.

Haha I'm showing the rock beat to relative and I exactly know how Ringo feels! I'm sure the trick is to start 'em off slower, maybe quarters at 60bpm, just to get the action going.

Always liked Ringo - his playing and easygoing ways. Can't believe how good he looks for 71 or the perfection of his hair tinting.

Very cool clip Mary, I still love the old man, and he still love getting up there on stage, after all this time, it's saying a lot about him :)

Yep, showing a basic beat looks simple, at least for us, I'm always amazed when someone really struggle to lay it down, we're just taking for granted that it's easy to do, but for some... there will be no hope :)

... for some... there will be no hope :)

Seems that way.

But if someone can't get that kind of basic coordination going, even after repeated efforts with decent coaching, surely there's something wrong that ideally should be fixed? I think having at least a basic mind body connection is of great benefit in life. Isn't that what hatha yoga is about in essence?

Seems that way.

But if someone can't get that kind of basic coordination going, even after repeated efforts with decent coaching, surely there's something wrong that ideally should be fixed? I think having at least a basic mind body connection is of great benefit in life. Isn't that what hatha yoga is about in essence?

Yes absolutely, hatha yoga is an ideal approach to master body postures and brain coordination, it will help developping basic limbs coordination.

Poor maths is another struggle, subdivisions of note values are essential for a drummer, someone with both a lack of coordination and bad maths are in for some serious battle indeed :)

Have you ever tried this one? turn your index finger in a clockwise circular motion in the air with your forearm, lift the whole leg from the ground and do an anti-clockwise circular motion with the lower leg, I have to think about it when I'm doing it :)

Very cool clip Mary, I still love the old man, and he still love getting up there on stage, after all this time, it's saying a lot about him :)

Yep, showing a basic beat looks simple, at least for us, I'm always amazed when someone really struggle to lay it down, we're just taking for granted that it's easy to do, but for some... there will be no hope :)

Agreed. We take so much for granted, especially the simple/not-so-simple rock beat. It's all too easy to forget the challenges and struggles we've all been through to get to where we are. This is why I can't participate in the "this person doesn't play well" stuff.

I for one enjoyed the video and am glad to see Ringo still at it after all these years. There are some popular drummers who completely self destructed and never made it to that age to enjoy playing.

...and you will be on with Matt Lauer when?

Zing!
But I agree with the talk show hosts, he does look good at 71. I hope to be still aive at 71, but also still playing the drums!

Can't have a thread about Ringo without someone insulting his playing, eh? Oh well.

I don't want to start a flame war but saying he can't play a rock beat is asinine. I won't argue about it though. End of rant.

Back