Dream Theater's new drummer is...

I heard it was Wailin Smash!

lol

And Mike Portnoy is somewhat known for talking about his "cymbal land"!

Really? LaBrie's live singing may not be all that great, but his studio work is excellent!

I think LaBrie's problem when he's gigging out is that DT gigs too frequently.

I think his problem is that quite often, he can't sing in tune. I've seen some really, really horrible singing from him on a few videos and I can (as a classically trained singer) happily say that it's really quite important that you're in tune! Studio work is one thing, but that's why it's a studio - multiple takes to get it right. You don't get that live.

Didn't LaBrie almost loose his voice or something, because he lodged some food in his throat? I think it it pretty noble of him to continue with that disability.

I was really hoping for Marco, but it will probably be Mangini or some other metal-drummer. I hope to got it's not Jordison.

Didn't LaBrie almost loose his voice or something, because he lodged some food in his throat? I think it it pretty noble of him to continue with that disability.

He had food poisoning in Cuba in the late 90s and literally almost completely ruined his vocal chords from puking.

He's only really gotten back to his old form int he last 3-4 years, and it really shows. His live performances really suffered for a long time, but he really has gotten a lot better again lately, as he's now finally over that old injury and also takes proper care of his voice.

Aquiles Priester would be great no??? A very talented drummer. His style of drumming is close to Portnoy style.....no???

Aquiles Priester would be great no??? A very talented drummer. His style of drumming is close to Portnoy style.....no???

Fast and powerful, but his playing is completely without any emotion to my ears.

Portnoy might not be the most dynamic and expressive of drummers, but he does sound like he believes in what he does.

Several names have been "leaked", so I'm very doubtful when I hear those
people shout "I know it from secret sources" blabla...

True. Once "source" recently contradicted an earlier "source" so, who knows.

Really? LaBrie's live singing may not be all that great, but his studio work is excellent!

I think LaBrie's problem when he's gigging out is that DT gigs too frequently.

Labrie sounds excellent on his recent solo album, you know, without Portnoy & Petrucci telling him what to do.

Amazing drummer, but to me, he sounds too much like Portnoy clone. But I suppose that would fit the bill.

Amazing drummer, but to me, he sounds too much like Portnoy clone. But I suppose that would fit the bill.

That's exactly what i was thinking watching those 2 vids. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym_-tZwhRL0&feature=related, and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTTJi2FXKns&feature=related You can close your eyes and hear Mike Portnoy's drumming. And the songs sound a little bit like DT. I may be wrong 'cause i'm not a big Dt fan (can't stand LaBrie's voice........). But it sounds like DT to me. And you are right, why have a clone??? Get the real one back ;)

Pretty sure Meg White's rumoured for drumming with DT. She'd be an amazing candidate for the band as she just needs to play different time signatures which she is really good at.

Hahaha

Well, here is what we do know:

We know based on interview comments from James Labrie auditions were held approximately around the 2nd and 3rd weeks of November

Jan 4th, John Petrucci posted that was the 1st day in the recording studio with the new drummer.

Aquiles Priester: had a gig with his band on Nov 27th, was at NAMM, and then went out on a clinic tour, and has dates with Hagar over the next several months.
http://www.hangar.mus.br/ing/agenda.htm

If he is the guy, it makes sense why they're not announcing it, so he can finish out his obligations. But at the same time, if he's the guy, there isn't really a window he could be working on the album with DT. So I have my doubts.

Bobby Jarzombek was out with Sebastion Bach for most of October, and was touring with Halford for November, and he recently posted he spent his early January recording with a Fates Warning side project, and it currently doing a small European tour with Fates Warning. No window to do it in, he's out.

Mark Zonder posted on his Facebook a while back that he was never even asked to audition.

It has been reported that Marco Minnemann has denied being the guy.

Mike Mangini is a name often rumored.
His facebook is rarely updated, so it's of no help.
There is this tid bit of evidence:
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=154009

"Mike Mangini left [Berklee] at the end of last semester, so although those are some extremely huge shoes to fill, things are going really well. Mike always helps me out, to make sure I know what's going on before I start. So I'm really excited for the semester.

Although Mike is still listed on the Berklee website. But Mangini leaves Berklee right around the time of the auditions? Coincidence?
But if he was the man, there appears be to no reason to not announce it.

And in other news, Mike Portnoy has posted on his FB/twitter he is in the studio doing a side project with the singer from Symphony X, which means Jason Rullo isn't doing anything right now. Humm.....

Good point about Mike M! Would be cool, because Mike shares kind of outgoing personality with
the other Mike. They're not the same of course, but I think it would fit well. He is quite a
monster behind the kit, and he would probably be a good mixture of bringing his own thing
and sounding enough similar to not have to completely change his style for DT.

Jason Rullo would be cool, too, I like his drumming with SX. Quite similar to Mike P., too, but
then I think DT won't go for a completely change of style anyway.

Aquiles Priester has a style I quite like, very quick and powerful. A bit Portnoy-esque but I still think he fits the bill well, at least he did when he played with Angra. I do think it is unlikely he'll be playing with DT. A lot of the stuff he plays is straight time (I must also take a moment to say the videos of him below have gorgeous production). I also like his rendition of Death's Symbolic.

LaBrie's solo album was kinda cool - but I tend to agree that he sounds much better in studio as opposed to live. Live sounds very nasally?

I could honestly imagine Cobus being Portnoy's replacement. Except that he doesn't play progressive metal. I could also see Vadrum playing for DT.

I suppose both are too unlikely and my imagination is just going unchecked.

Steve Smith !!!!!!

Look at this....The Prog Brothers.

:)

Attachments

• smith-theater2.jpg
    smith-theater2.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 3,937
Back