Drummer pR0n (Dave Weckl, Vinnie Colaiuta, Steve Gadd)

I've had a lot of arguments with myself about who my favorite of those is. It's an argument I never seem to win... :D

I actually helped prep Gadd's drums for that performance. I was at Pro Drum in Hollywood when they arrived and the owner, being really busy, asked if I'd unbox them and give 'em a tuning. I like to think maybe Gadd stuck with what I did to them, but I doubt it...

This was a great exchange caught on film. I've watched it several times now. I do like how Gadd just kind of lays it all down, and doesn't deviate too far from his job, with Vinnie and Dave really playing over the top on this one. That showed such maturity, I thought.

I saw that entire Buddy Rich concert VHS back in high school in the mid-90s. I became hooked on Dave Weckl in particular...To this very day, I still watch it on Youtube every so often and every time it sends chills down my spine. A great display of drumming!

I actually helped prep Gadd's drums for that performance. I was at Pro Drum in Hollywood when they arrived and the owner, being really busy, asked if I'd unbox them and give 'em a tuning. I like to think maybe Gadd stuck with what I did to them, but I doubt it...

Whoa!! Seriously?? That's awesome! A brush with greatness, almost.

Whoa!! Seriously?? That's awesome! A brush with greatness, almost.

Well, I don't know. Drums showing up via UPS and being unboxed is kinda' normal stuff. I didn't put two and two together until I had them all out and noticed they were all black Recording Customs. But the 20" bass drum threw me at first. They actually sounded OK right out of the box and I did little tweaking. I thought they were just going to be set up on the store floor...

It wasn't as cool as having Carlos Vega play my newly built bass drum in the shop and declare it "a killer" or standing and watching Jim Keltner come in and play the crap out of a djembe, or actually meeting Harvey Mason after watching him almost get hit by a car while running across Vine St. from the Musicians Union rehearsal hall into the store to buy a head.

But the coolest was meeting Larry Bunker, who brought in an old Radio King, that actually had an electric socket for a light bulb to keep the (then) calf heads dry and tight for playing. To see a piece of history, and then to have the man play it was an amazing lesson to be seen. I call myself lucky!

Well, I don't know. Drums showing up via UPS and being unboxed is kinda' normal stuff. I didn't put two and two together until I had them all out and noticed they were all black Recording Customs. But the 20" bass drum threw me at first. They actually sounded OK right out of the box and I did little tweaking. I thought they were just going to be set up on the store floor...

It wasn't as cool as having Carlos Vega play my newly built bass drum in the shop and declare it "a killer" or standing and watching Jim Keltner come in and play the crap out of a djembe, or actually meeting Harvey Mason after watching him almost get hit by a car while running across Vine St. from the Musicians Union rehearsal hall into the store to buy a head.

But the coolest was meeting Larry Bunker, who brought in an old Radio King, that actually had an electric socket for a light bulb to keep the (then) calf heads dry and tight for playing. To see a piece of history, and then to have the man play it was an amazing lesson to be seen. I call myself lucky!

Wow!!! Those are some awesome stories. Especially the one about Carlos Vega, that would have been pretty unreal. Steve Houghton once played my drum kit at a clinic for my high school jazz band, I never realized what a talented player he is. And loud!! Haha, his biggest piece advice to me was to play louder and with more emotion.

Wow!!! Those are some awesome stories. Especially the one about Carlos Vega, that would have been pretty unreal. Steve Houghton once played my drum kit at a clinic for my high school jazz band, I never realized what a talented player he is. And loud!! Haha, his biggest piece advice to me was to play louder and with more emotion.

Every time something like that happens to me, I say, "So that's what they're supposed to sound like!"

Back