Contemplating a brass-for-brass snare trade

alparrott

Diamond Member
So I got a FB message from another drummer in-area who was looking for a snare to trade, and we've got a tentative deal (which I am free to back out of) to trade snares.

A little background: I have two main snares, a 5" deep Ludwig Standard Aluminum that has won my heat by sounding awesome and more like an Acro than an Acro, and a 5" deep Pearl Sensitone Elite black on brass with the thick beaded shell. I love it, it plays great, but two things keep happening. It cuts a bit too much for most playing situations, even if tuned low; and I am kind of yearning for a deeper note to go with my Ludwig kit for some hard rocking and blues when I need it.

I am currently offering him my Sensitone Elite and he is offering a Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer -- thinner shell, but hammered, and 6.5" rather than 5". I am quite happy with the representative sound as portrayed on YouTube in the drum shop vids, but one last collective wisdom check from the folks on here. I haven't dabbled much in the Black Panthers, but I seem to remember many of you singing their praises.

Survey says: Fair trade, great trade, or am I getting the raw end? I think it's probably on the good side...?

That mapex is on the dry side (I've played one and watched Matt Halpern play one in a clinic too).

I don't think I like the appearance of it either but both your and his drums are surely good quality, you can't lose. Your pearl snare is a bit more common, so I'm sure you could find someone else to trade their brass pearl for your mapex later on.

Pretty much confirmation... Unless the snare has been beat to hell (and I know this guy, I very much doubt it), it's probably done and won. Pics this afternoon. (And dang it, I just put the Ludwigs away and set up the Yammies!)

Pulled the trigger on the trade. He loves the quick, snappy bark, I like the nice low slap... we're all winners!

Please excuse the horrible phone pic...

Attachments

• 20140914_143424.jpg
    20140914_143424.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 149
Here's a couple of better pics... and now, for some dumb reason, I have the Ludwigs and the Yammies set up back-to-back... Don't judge me.

Attachments

• 20140914_172634.jpg
    20140914_172634.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 20140914_172735.jpg
    20140914_172735.jpg
    320 KB · Views: 142
  • 20140914_154231.jpg
    20140914_154231.jpg
    359 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
You can put the Yammies away now ;)

I've been re-embracing my lots-of-notes childhood. The Luddies will take center stage again ere long, no worries.

You'll grow to love the Sledge. It's heavy but it had a really wide pallette. I've both the 5" Pearl and a Sledge and I've found the Sledge to be more versatile. They're both great snares though. Congrats!

You'll grow to love the Sledge. It's heavy but it had a really wide pallette. I've both the 5" Pearl and a Sledge and I've found the Sledge to be more versatile. They're both great snares though. Congrats!

I agree, and the only real reason I hopped on this trade so quickly is because I had two 5" deep metal snares and needed a 6.5" voice (at least I told myself I did). If my Sensitone had been the 6.5" model it would have been no trade, no deal.

I haven't played much with the Sledgehammer yet (codename: Cheryl Blossom), but I agree with you on its range. It's also proven marvelously sensitive at all levels. It's got a bit of a honky overtone that I need to finesse out with some tuning, but aside from that it's been a joy to play so far.

And apparently I need a deeper snare stand for it. Ah shoot, I guess I need to spend more money (grin).

Also sweet -- I had an Ahead Armor snare bag for mine (great bags), he had one for his, so we also swapped bags.

Congrats on the new snare. I'd call it a draw as both are very solid snares. Sounds like a win-win for both sides. Doesn't get better than that. Now, anyone want to trade their mint condition Tama bell brass for my Starclassic nickel over brass?

The shell on your new Sledgehammer snare reminds me of the snare batter heads I saw at the London Drum Show last year.

Good score Al.

Back