New Ludwigs arrived!!

Stroman

Diamond Member
The Ludwigs I ordered have arrived, and man do they sound great! I've been playing the Mapex M-Series for quite a few years now, and I've learned to get the most from them, often getting compliments on the sound of my drums. But...

These new Ludwig Maple Classics absolutely blow them away! They sound phenomenal and are VERY easy to tune. I couldn't be happier. I also got a Pork Pie Big Black snare, and it is also wonderful! I haven't used a metal snare in a while, and I'm REALLY enjoying this one!

Also, this marks my return to a 24" bass drum - holy cow, I had forgotten how sweet a 24 sounds. I tightened the heads til the were just resonating nicely, evened out the pitch around the drum, and BAM! Sounds exactly like I want my bass drum to sound.

All-in-all, I'm a very happy camper!

Attachments

• 130_3015s.JPG
    130_3015s.JPG
    235.9 KB · Views: 698
  • 130_3017s.JPG
    130_3017s.JPG
    252.9 KB · Views: 691
  • 130_3024b.JPG
    130_3024b.JPG
    235.4 KB · Views: 685
  • Ludwig sample 1.mp3
    874.4 KB · Views: 168
Last edited:
That's a REAL nice looking set. Congratulations. What size is the rack tom? Is that a RIMS mount or a ludwig variation on it?

BYOOTIFUL. Just gorgeous. MAN what a nice set! Do you have the ability to record them for 30 secs or so? I really want to hear that kit. SO nice.

BYOOTIFUL. Just gorgeous. MAN what a nice set! Do you have the ability to record them for 30 secs or so? I really want to hear that kit. SO nice.

I'll record them when I get a chance. Won't be for a few days though, most likely.

Very nice! I have always liked Ludwig, since my first snare was an Acrolite. Enjoy!

Sweeeeeeet!!

CM's are my dream kit mate. One day I'll have enough to deal (they cost a fortune where I come from).....in the meantime, I'll just lust after yours. :)

Enjoy!!

Sweeeeeeet!!

CM's are my dream kit mate. One day I'll have enough to deal (they cost a fortune where I come from).....in the meantime, I'll just lust after yours. :)

Enjoy!!

Too bad they cost so much there. They were surprisingly affordable here - not cheap, by any stretch, but not bad for a made-to-order, made in the USA kit. Well worth the price I paid, I.M.O.

I wouldn't wait to do a thurough heads-off inspection if you haven't already... bearing edges, the hidden stuff etc.

Never know with new drums, there could be surprises. A spinning lug nut, loose lug mounting screws, a defect.

Hope all is well.

I wouldn't wait to do a thurough heads-off inspection if you haven't already... bearing edges, the hidden stuff etc.

Never know with new drums, there could be surprises. A spinning lug nut, loose lug mounting screws, a defect.

Hope all is well.

Yep, I swapped out all heads except the bass drum reso (a little anal, I know, but I like to keep the factory heads unmarked!) and inspected everything. Looks like all is well, and sounds like it, too. I had a Ludwig kit in the late 70's/early 80's that had a really difficult to tune tom - the 14" rack tom, iirc. Anyway, turned out to be a bad bearing edge. But these edges look good and tune very easily!

Good advise for first timers buying a new/used kit or snare drum- Tear em apart within the first week, inspect every little thing.

Don't be afraid, the heads come off no problem and it'll be a good experience, know thy instrument.

Forum members are always standing by here ready to help if you need advice/assistance.

Love the blue sparkle. My Taye were blue sparkle, glass, and nothing better than a Musashi snare. Congrats.

Love the blue sparkle. My Taye were blue sparkle, glass, and nothing better than a Musashi snare. Congrats.

I remember that Taye set. :)

I've been using the Musashi pretty much exclusively since I bought it from you, so now it's going to be interesting to divide the time between the two snares. Maybe certain venues will suit one or the other.

Good advise for first timers buying a new/used kit or snare drum- Tear em apart within the first week, inspect every little thing.

Don't be afraid, the heads come off no problem and it'll be a good experience, know thy instrument.

Forum members are always standing by here ready to help if you need advice/assistance.

Haha, I got my first kit in about 1976, so no worries there. I know to inspect things. But I am amazed at how many new drummers don't even think about taking heads off, etc.

Nice kit and classic sizes and configuration. May I ask what batter you put on the bass drum and is the front head ported? (doesn't look like it)

Back