Pre-packs

MadJazz

Silver Member
I wonder why stores don't sell complete drum sets with stands, pedal, stool, cymbals, sticks and earplugs included. I understand that top line sets should be custom-picked but entry and intermediate level should be offered as a complete package. Intermediate sets can have a few more options and can come with or without cymbals. But a starting drummer doesn't care how many options he has to choose from. What he cares about is getting a decent set, all-in one.

Also, drums should be fitted with quality heads, from entry to exclusive level. There's no other factor that affects sound as much as heads do. But I see flimsy heads on drums all the time. How can you convince a customer if the set doesn't sound right in the shop? That's why I would fit drums with either coated or self-muting heads, to cut unwanted overtones.

The default sizes should also be reviewed. I'd say something like this:
Pop set: 10x9, 12x10, 14x14, 20x16, 13x6
Rock set: 10x9, 13x11, 16x16, 22x18, 14x6

If I would be a shop owner, I would present some 4 piece drums with cymbals, correspoding hardware and quality heads. I'd suggest some different cymbals or heads if the customer wants to and explain him how it affects the sound, or order an extra tom or two if he wishes. But at least offer a complete product you can work with. Just think about this pop-funk set, I'd buy it in right away:

Sonor force 3000
10x9 coated amb or PS3 / clear amb
14x14 coated amb or PS3 / clear amb
20x17 clear PS3 / coated PS3 with evans pillow

12x5 delite snare or 13x5 s classix snare
coated amb / clear amb SS

Two double boom stands, one holding the tom and crash, the other a ride and crash
15 or 16" A custom crash
17 or 18" A custom crash
20 K custom ride, 20 K ride, 20 K custom medium ride or 20 K custom dark ride
13 K/Z hats, 13 K hats, 13 K light hats, or 13 K custom dark hats

HH stand
Snare stand
Kick pedal
Stool
VF 5A or H5A sticks
Cheap earplugs

There you've got it, one excellent pop/funk set. Now do a jazz set, a rock set and metal, and you're set.

my singer bought a drum kit a couple of years ago with a hardware pack and cymbal pack all in one trip. none of it was too high quality but still not bad and he did get a good price... i think that stores should offer a "pack" where you chose the shell pack, cymbal pack, and hardware pack and get a small discount for the bulk purchase.

Gee, that's pretty much the way some drum shops around here have been selling drums for 40+ years.

Also, drums should be fitted with quality heads, from entry to exclusive level. There's no other factor that affects sound as much as heads do. But I see flimsy heads on drums all the time. How can you convince a customer if the set doesn't sound right in the shop? That's why I would fit drums with either coated or self-muting heads, to cut unwanted overtones.

This is the whole problem really, you might not like overtones, but other people do. I think that's the problem with your whole idea of the set. The fact is that your suggested set costs about $5000 and sure, you'd buy it in a flash but that's because it's the kit that YOU want. I doubt that you would get many people through the door wanting to part with so much cash for the same thing. It's so much easier to sell kits seperately with choices of heads, cymbals and hardware simply because if you're spending that much money, you want to have EXACTLY what you want.

Too many variables in looks, sound, sizes, etc. to lump all of it together. I have seen some lower end sets that come with everything, but a year later we will be seeing them on Craigslist for 300.00. Anyone serious will not want ALL of EVERYTHING included.

Yeah...pretty much all drum shops that I've been in have sets for sale like this...beginner kits with cymbals, heads, sticks, and hardware, at a decent price. Of course, the problem is exactly what eddiehimself and gruntersdad said. Drummers want to be able to make their own choices about that stuff...even if the beginners don't know that, it doesn't take long for them to figure it out. So yeah, your idea is already in widespread use, but only for beginner kits, because there aren't any more advanced drummers that would want to have everything pre-determined for them.

You have to consider, if it was efficient and profitable, it would already be done that way. Can't forget the economic side of things. Things are like they are for a reason.

I got given my kit, snare, hardware and cymbals and have gradually improved my gear besides the shells themselves. I now am at a point where if I bought a kit I would only want a kit, not hardware cymbals etc. Basically personal preference is why this system isn't the most common means of buying drums, although as other have mentioned it does exist, especially with lower end kits such as CB etc.

I use Istanbul rides, but Zildjian K custom crashes and an old Krut ride which is a set of cymbals which you can't buy as a set.

Tom

Back