National Anthems

Popcorn Mogul

Thinking nationalities and anthems and events (rugby, soccer, chess, anything in a stadium). Which nationality do you reckon is the most committed when it comes to singing their anthem?

During the recent World Cup there were a few South American teams that had mightily impressive anthem singalongs!

Even better when you're the Secretary of State for Wales! John Redwood does his best Mr Bean impression!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIwBvjoLyZc

Haga, legendary isn't it? And equally appalling, the ignorant piece of carp.

I've twice had the immense privilege to stand with tens of thousands and sing "Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau" at the Millennium Stadium before (losing) rugby matches. Very moving, and makes me proud to be Wenglish, in a non-xenophobic, non-flag-waving sort of way of course.

Without even watching Jeremy's video I will say it really bothers me to see some people use the singing of our National Anthem as an audition.

I think South Africa has a wonderful national anthem.

I don't think us English do it very well. 'God Save the Queen' is a bit of a kicker if you're an atheist republican.

The Welsh do indeed sing their anthem very well, especially at Rugby matches. I still think hearing the Irish anthem for the first time at Twickenham (seated in the middle of 200 Irish fans) was a real experience and one I will never forget.

National anthems have been so abused that their significance and effect has been diluted.

This year, the rugby league grand final was played between South Sydney and Canterbury-Bankstown - two small regions of Sydney, Australia. Before the game they played the Australian national anthem (with Olivia Newton John singing which is akin to getting Charlie Watts to power the Buddy Rich Big Band). They do it every year (the anthem, not Olivia). They also play the anthem before interstate games.

It's obviously a big wank , especially with all the English, New Zealand, Tongan and Samoan players involved. But the game is largely run by News Ltd, owned by Fox overlord, Rupert Murdoch, which could explain the madness of it - on a number of levels.

So Jimi's Star Spangled Banner is my pick.

The best U.S. National Anthem I ever heard was in Washington Virginia on the 4th of July at some point in the mid 80's. The Seldom Scene were playing that day (all day) followed by fireworks. The event has grown exponentially over the years and at this point in time it still retained a homey, folksy, ambience which later morphed into the zoo that it has become. So.... a brother of one of the Seldom Scene was attending college and was majoring in music. He came out and sang the Anthem a cappella with a large and confident operatic voice and blew the place away. Positively fabulous.

The Welsh national anthem is indeed beauiful,but I 'll still take the Star Spangeled Banner.....everyday, and twice on Sunday.Go USA....I still get a lump in my throat everytime I hear it.

Steve B

Last edited:
These two they knock down the walls!!

Argentinean national anthem...

¡Oíd, mortales!, el grito sagrado: ¡libertad!, ¡libertad!, ¡libertad!

German national anthem...

Das Deutschlandlied / Das Lied der Deutschen

Hard to believe there is any group of people who sing their national anthem louder or with more vigor and obvious pride than the North Koreans.

Back