BBC Documentary about Rock n' Roll - The Drummer

that was pretty F'n awesome to say the least

thanks for sharing

I'm finding it condescending way too much. Sick of this crap.

Seen this documentary before and I can say without any hyperbole that it is the lamest thing I've ever watched.

i've got mixed feelings. it made me proud and i had a few laughs - grohl's final bassist joke was great. but statments were made about drummers in general that were untrue and i know my band are going to latch onto those if i share this link with them.

the bit about us being a tighter fraternity than any other instrument is true though - hence this great forum.

i will recommend my pupils watch it - pity about the handful of swears though.

j

Anyone else shed a tear at the Bonham/Moon's death part? About 45 min in....

That was great. It said what we all know and think about this habit, the good and bad that is usually never discussed between musicians.

I feel you, Larry. But this 'cool' documentay style seems to be standard nowadays. Makes me think how dumb the audience is considered by the documentary makers. I never understood drummer/bassist jokes.

Overall that documentary is still enjoyable (haven't finished watching it) because of the various footage. But all that cliche stuff is... just dumb and obsolete.

Geez, tough audience. Personally, I'm grateful to see a documentary about drummers, and featuring playing and interviews from some of the greats. I imagine it wouldn't be easy to create a documentary with sophistication that has a broad enough reach to pay for itself.

I liked it.
I guess I'm impervious to the drummer-jokes thing.
The documentary is wrong on at least one thing, it said the drummer gets the least amount of attention. From my experience the drummer is one of the most watched musician on stage.

Saw the above programme when it was first aired. The whole series was meant to be light-hearted and not a serious exploration of popular music, so not much point taking offense IMO.

I like drummer jokes. I prefer accordion jokes though.

Saw the above programme when it was first aired. The whole series was meant to be light-hearted and not a serious exploration of popular music

+1 I think it would be goofier to have a dead serious examination of RnR. I've seen relatively academic videos about jazz (which also had its critics), but I always felt that when rock takes itself seriously it seems seem contradictory - it's only RnR but I like it :)

I never understood people taking lessons to learn punk either - it conjures images of Johnny Rotten practising his la-lol-la-los in the shower.

the bit about us being a tighter fraternity than any other instrument is true though - hence this great forum.

i will recommend my pupils watch it - pity about the handful of swears though.

j

I've never had the chance to hang out with other drummers, but I must say, you guys are more interesting than guitar players. hehehe

Ya, I shared it on Facebook. I didn't come away with any negative thoughts about the video, but then again, I don't take myself all that seriously either. A lot of what they were describing fits me to a T, except the hedonistic aspect. I'm kinda old-fashioned in that way.

Some good parts, more bad than good though, and I thought it wasn't a very complimentary doc. The bit about flailing the arms and spinning sticks and so forth to get attention...it's like that's all they think we are interested in. If you are up there mostly for attention, then your head is screwed on sideways.

I was really hoping that this thing moved beyond the status quo and tried to portray us....not like that. Anybody watching it would think it's still OK to label drummers as the butt of jokes, and a bit wacky, nothing has changed there. I swear this installment was written by guitarists. If a drummer was responsible for the content and script, there's no way a drummer would paint us in that light. I'm just really sick of it.

I wish they would have focused more on serious professionals, like the Steve Jordans and the Vinnies, but again, they just go with what everyone already knows. This broke no new ground and IMO lowered the bar yet again.

not sure why anyone would be looking for some ground breaking mind blowing doc

it's BBC for crying out loud

and if you take the drummer joke thing to heart ...you may have more psychological problems than you know about

:)

just take it for what it is

a doc about a few rock drummers made by someone who obviously knows absolutely nothing about drummers

they focus on Matt Sorum and Tommy Lee for goodness sake !!!!

I enjoyed it

just nice to see a full hour dedicated to the tub men

they were kinda tough on old Ringo eh?

I bet DMC would love that

Yeah i liked it too. Very entertaining and funny. I can't believe some of you are upset over this. Did you get upset over Spinal Tap as well?

Did someone say 'upset'? I don't think so. I just pointed out what could be done better IMO.

As for Spinal Tap... never seen it so far and I'm sure I can do without.

Upset isn't an accurate word, more like disappointed. And yes I have my share of deep rooted psychological issues, and probably some I'm not aware of, but it's still disappointing to see us publicly ridiculed once again.

Back