Which Bassist would you hire?

Bill Laswell...
...or Richard Davis

Once again, if he was alive it would be Entwhistle. Barring that, John McVie or John Paul Jones.

No one has mentioned Sting yet. Hmmmm

I think it would be cool to get David Ellefson.

Well said. I just got onto this thread to get Sting on my recording. Not only is he a great bass player, but singer song writer and arranger can be added to the list. Oh and he is a fellow Geordie, so everything about the deal would be good. We could discuss our birthplace of Wallsend, ah..... the long Winter nights would just fly by.

Don't think I saw James Jamerson. My thought would be rather than marque value to find a Jimmy Johnson, Leland Sklar or someone who would really play for the song. I was told about a keyboard player that hire Michael Landau for a recording. Michael walked in, listened to the track, nailed the perfect part in one shot and that was all took.

Stefan Lessard and/or Tal Wilkenfeld

Geez Steve - you know Kasim Sultan? I'm a bit star-struck ... I was heavily into his expressive bass playing and singing Utopia's Ra. The critics panned that album for its lack of mature sophistication, but some of those guys have travelled so far up their backsides that they can't listen to the actual music any more, just hearing faint echoes through a thick filter of hackneyed rock ideals ...

Tony Levin is a notable omission, along with players like Jaco, Anthony Jackson and Fernando Saunders. The you have people who aren't so well known like Prakash John, who was brilliant on Lou Reed's Rock n Roll Animal. How about John Wetton? ( as long as he doesn't sing :).

But realistically, not only could I not keep up with them, I would feel embarrassed at having them endure my crap so I'd opt for Tina Weymouth or Bill Wyman who are accustomed to pretty straight ahead drummers.

Yeah Grea,..Kasim is a really great guy,and a great dad as well.He goes out of his way to be a dad and not just a parent,when he's not on the road with Meatloaf,or doing studio stuff.He's a Staten Island resident.

The guy can play his butt off,and as of late,played bass and sang, in the Mike Portnoy's Beatle tribute band ."Yellow Matter Custard".

There's a few vids of them playing at BB Kings in NY City,doing side two of Abbey Road.

Steve B

I'd pick Dave Hope, formerly of Kansas now a minister. He would probably deny the $50k due to his pledge of poverty and I'd pocket it and buy some vintage pieces from Bermuda's colection when he hits 65 :)

This is fun to think about. Knowing what kind of music is being recorded would point me towards different people, but assuming it is rock or modern jazz...

Chuck Rainey
Will Lee
Tim Commerford
Billy Sheehan
Tal Wilkenfeld
Michael Manring
Stanley Clarke
John Pattitucci
Muzz Skillings
Christian McBride

Its been eluded to...but remember that, with that kind of purchase power, you can buy some attention to the project by selecting a name player.

If quality is king...I'd select...

Tal
Tony
Chris
Geddy
Victor

...all depending on what I'm looking for.

I'm betting the best fit for the application is not a popular player...but an unknown riffing away in their basement....but finding such gems is the name of the game.

My shortlist would be
Lee Sklar, Tony Levin and Alain Caron

Neal

I thought about Sting and certainly would not turn him down if he wanted to play, but I felt he might be a bit complicated to try and integrate into a band. A guy with his writing ability, business ability, etc. might not fit.

I listed John McVie as my number 2 and just after doing this discovered he has been battling cancer, but it looks as if he is going to be OK and Fleetwood Mac are planning to tour, with Christine McVie on board.

Dave Holland
Baron Browne
Ron Carter

Back