New to the Forum

Roguer

Hey all,

Completely new here. I needed a place to get some excellent advice on my kit, my setup, etc., and after browsing the forums a good deal, figured I'd introduce myself.

I'm 33 and an active duty military officer, which leaves me not a ton of time to drum. I've been drumming off-and-on since I was a kid. I also split my music time among many instruments. However, as for non-classical instruments, I'm a much better drummer than I am a guitarist. ;)

I currently play a basic 5 piece Ludwig kit I bought used: 12" and 13" toms, 16" floor tom, 22" bass. I have a terrible, terrible double kick pedal (I can't even remember the brand name off the top of my head, I hate it so much). I have an assortment of cymbals: mostly Zildjians, including a thin crash and medium crash and splash. I have a Paiste hi-hat, and a used ride-crash that came with the kit (brand name long rubbed off, so unknown). I have a new-ish Ludwig Epic snare that I love, and replaced the heads fairly recently.

I'm planning on upgrading various pieces of my kit, highest on my list being a solid double-kick pedal (I don't think I'm planning on adding an extra kick drum any time soon). Other than that, can you ever have enough cymbals? Finally, some better hardware for support.

I'm pretty dumb when it comes to my kit setup, and I'm constantly trying to find what works best for me, moving pieces here or there, angling my tom faces, even adjusting my throne height. I don't think I can find that optimal setting until, at a minimum, I get a set of pedals that are a little smoother.

My influences, as a drummer, are mostly in the metal scene. Everyone who came of age in the '80s was influenced by Lars (it's OK to admit it), but I'm also a big, big fan of Igor Cavelera, Lombardo, Danny Carey, Lopez AND Axenrot (I know, liking both of them? Blasphemy!), Hoglan, et al. I'm very impressed by the modern technical death scene, but drummers like Carey and Axe who blend nontraditional and jazz into their metal beats really stimulate my interest (if only I could play like them).

Well, that's probably more than enough. If you happen to read this, and want to know more, feel free to ask!

-Rog

If you happen to read this, and want to know more, feel free to ask!

-Rog

Pictures of your kit, if possible. We love eye candy, here. Welcome to Drummerworld.​

Back