Tom angles!!!!

Re: tom angles!!!!

This seller provided many angles of his angles. And what do you suppose is going on with the snare? Looks like some kind of wack muffling job.

hmmm.... that piece of rubber tubing must be to stop the stick from hitting the rim and getting that awful *crack* sound...... xD

-Jonathan

hmmm.... that piece of rubber tubing must be to stop the stick from hitting the rim and getting that awful *crack* sound...... xD

-Jonathan
I'm afraid to find out what he does with that rubber piece on the snare. I like the way the tom heads are worn more on the perimeter than the middle! I wouldn't want to hold a nail while he hits it with a hammer!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVS3fZFUz7U

Look at Clive's smallest tom! (and while you're at it check out those 16th notes during the verses)
Wow, that was a serious throwback. I never did get why he left Maiden, but that was a helluva gig to walk away from. The thing I noticed most was how he was playing the hats: really hitting the edge of them with his sticks. Seems like the sticks would chip away pretty quickly that way.

If they put more time to actually set up like a REAL DRUM SET then they would probably get much more than normally. Usually when people spell badly it just puts me off.

9ccb_1.jpg

BPf9yQBGkKGrHgoOKjkEjlLmZBiZBJz8Ni2.jpg

Just found this as well, best quote;

"The cymbals are worn and i'd say battered, but they still work"

That's what the world needs, cymbals that work.

I hate cymbals that don't work.

Someone must have long arms in order to reach that small tom...or maybe they just throw the sticks at it.

Here's a kit that actually necessitates extreme tom angles. The seller says the mounted toms are 14x13 and 15x14! If they were mounted flatter, they'd be impossible to play without standing up.

Attachments

• 14ac_1.JPG
    14ac_1.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 1,287

I don't have a picture on hand, but after rearranging my little cousins' craigslist-eque kit, I can conclude that:

1. The toms must be as low as possible, maybe even touching the bass drum is you don't care about the finish.

2. Positioning them at about a 20 degree angle towards you, maybe a little less depending on your height, but no more.

3. It should pretty much look just like they do on a double tom stand.

So what when the toms that touch the bass drum vibrate?
How daft that people can presume to instruct others on Tom angles.....Does your shallow tom angle make you a better player,get you more work or improve the sound?

No- its a matter of preferance and comfort for the individual player...mine are set fairly low and shallow,but its because I prefer the set up that way...So tired of hearing this worn out discussion on various forums. Dont understand why it features so much thats all!

How daft that people can presume to instruct others on Tom angles.....Does your shallow tom angle make you a better player,get you more work or improve the sound?

No- its a matter of preferance and comfort for the individual player...mine are set fairly low and shallow,but its because I prefer the set up that way...So tired of hearing this worn out discussion on various forums. Dont understand why it features so much thats all!

I know, really. I keep my toms at an angle, not where they are sprouting out of my drums and are literally flat on their side, but they are on an angle.

I actually had a guy come up to me and ask me how I play like that and he attemped to flatten them and I was just like "Dude! Wtf?". Honestly, if people feel comfortable playing like that, power to them. Just because they don't play flat toms doesn't mean they should be looked down upon or laughed at (although some of the sets here are ridiculous).

It features so much because it's funny. I don't instruct people about tom angles. In fact, I like it when people have steep angles because it gives us all something to poke fun at. Steep toms are part of the whole symbols-plus-metal-thingies-you-put-the-drums-on-sweet-vintage-CB700-set-dude-I'm-moving-out-of-my-apartment-got-married-need-the-cash Craigslist phenomenon.

Ultimately, whatever works for a drummer is best. However, for whatever reasons, certain things in life just look bad and worthy of ridicule to a number of people. Steep tom angles are one of them, judging by this thread.

It isn't a matter of right or wrong, it's just the appearance. If you see someone with a really strange walk, sure it gets them where they are going, but at the same time, it just may look funny. I will continue my search for the sake of this, no-religion-no-politics-no one-gets hurt thread. Feel free not to participate.

Back