what was the first songs you learned on drums?

I do not remember because it was 1969. The first song I performed in a band was "Messin' With the Kid" (Rory Gallagher version). Peace and goodwill.

Paradise City - Guns n Roses

It had to be "Wipe Out".That song was the bench mark by which all rock drummers were measured in the mid 60's.I think I was 11 or 12.

Steve B

Wow, I had to think about that one. Could be "In-a-gadda-da-vida" 1968/69, age 10, on my MIJ gold sparkle Stewarts.

After that it was Alice Cooper's "Love it to Death" album and then their "Killer" album in the early 70's. Then came my Lynyrd Skynyrd phase a couple years later. Innocent times. I probably played them like crap, but at the time, it didn't matter.

I remember my first bar gig "audition" at age 14 on another guys drums. It was a disaster, they threw me off after one tune lol.

Drumming to records and driving a band are worlds apart. That's what I took away from that lol.

Humble beginnings.

I have no clue exactly which one but it was during the early 60's British invasion. The drum parts were all about the same back then.

First song I learned from start to finish: Nirvana - Come As You Are

First whole song I learned was Topsy Part 2 by Cozy Cole, my drum teacher had me learn it. Was a lot of fun with lots of changes, but I couldn't play it today without reworking the whole thing.

I started playing drums because we (my friends and I) needed a drummer for our "band" (screwing around).

Consequently... The first song I can remember "nailing" was one of ours, guitard wrote it. It's called "Dancin' Ladies". It's about a road trip where he met a trucker at a truck stop who was hauling a load of beef halves in a freezer truck. The way the half-cows swing on the hooks inside the truck when moving gave them the affectionate term of "dancin ladies".

Fiction by Avenged Sevenfold, started teaching it to myself the day after I got my drums last summer, wanted something somewhat slow and easy sounding that I thought would be good to start me out on drums. Not to mention it's one of my favorite songs.

Back