Room of Earthly Delights Part II

M

mediocrefunkybeat

Firstly, apologies for not getting any recordings up. I realised not long after I posted my first kit thread that my playing just wasn't up to recording anything. I hadn't practiced seriously in a while - so I am now and I'm working on that.

Secondly, I've adjusted things a bit. I'm much more comfortable with this layout than the 'standard' four-piece layout. The tom to the left just makes sense to me and it also means there are no compromises in cymbal placement. I am a cymbal-heavy player so they are always my priority.

Thirdly, I've had a new addition. Thanks to Jim Betsios of Offbeat Music (in Illinois) for sending me a new Murat Diril 6" 'Luminous' Series Splash. I got it in the post today when I got back from my summer job and it's a very interesting little cymbal. It has quite a low profile and is quite thick for such a small splash. It is hence quite trashy (despite only fairly light hammering) and heavy on the overtones (which I like). It also has a surprisingly long and pitched sustain which makes it very effective as 'flavour'. If I want, I can dampen it down like a traditional splash or I can let it ring for a different effect. A very cool little cymbal.

The rest are cymbal shots. Fire away with questions if you want!

Attachments

• P1010021.jpg
    P1010021.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 360
  • P1010022.jpg
    P1010022.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 361
  • P1010024.jpg
    P1010024.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 362
  • P1010025.jpg
    P1010025.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 359
  • P1010028.jpg
    P1010028.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 360
Last edited:
I've never liked toms to the left of the snare, but that's just me.

Cymbals look fantastic as always! What drum set is that?

P.S. Not to be more critical, but not really liking the black stand for the aax amongst the chrome... Just curious why do you have it there?

Daredrummer, that's a mic stand. I don't have a short stand for my bass drum mic.

It's a Tamburo Ash 422AM. Not a high-end kit but the shells are good even if the hardware isn't particularly high-end.

Daredrummer, that's a mic stand. I don't have a short stand for my bass drum mic.

It's a Tamburo Ash 422AM. Not a high-end kit but the shells are good even if the hardware isn't particularly high-end.

Ah I see. What's the size on that other drum of the same model on the shelf back there?

The other drum is a 14"x10". The 'low' tom on this kit is a 12", I'm working out if it's worth swapping them. I'm getting a lot of low end from this setup already and the 14" can be tricky to tune!

The other drum is a 14"x10". The 'low' tom on this kit is a 12", I'm working out if it's worth swapping them. I'm getting a lot of low end from this setup already and the 14" can be tricky to tune!

Is the tom to the right not a 14"? Is it 13?

I personally love 14" drums. You can get a lot of low end, but without the flatness that you get with a lot of 16" toms. 14" is the best tom size IMO. 12's are really nice too though, especially when tuned right.

No 13", it's a 12" on the right. The kit is a bit odd - it's a 22" bass drum with 10", 12" and 14" toms. I don't get along with the bigger toms and this layout works well. Truth be told, I'd like a 20" bass drum (a 20"x14" would be ideal) but it's a great sounding set.

Back