How can this be too many?

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
So I got all my drums home the other day (I generally store one at the school I work with, one stays home for practice, and one is in the garage waiting to go out) and put them all in one room for a general cleaning session. Considering how many kits some of the folks here have, I was surprised when the wife came home and said I had too many. She obviously hasn't seen bobdadruma's house, or Bermuda's warehouse. And I don't complain about her shoe collection.

I would say looking at the picture I need more ;)

Attachments

• drum room.JPG
    drum room.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 846
If you think of it in kits per year of playing (like MPH), I am soooo far ahead of you. 3 years and 8 kits... speed up!

You need a really nice quality smaller kit with a 20" kick.

You need an E kit.

Maybe an in-between rock kit- 24/13/16 or something. Should I keep going? (you going to show this to her?)

It's simply not civilized to not own at least 5 drum sets.

And two complete cymbal setups.

:)

I think the total number of drums I have is less than some people bring out on a gig.

Besides, my house is a revolving door of kits. I've owned at least 20 kits over my lifetime and I'm finally getting into a groove with stuff I like to keep for more than six months. Part of me misses those days when I only had one kit, but that was when I was young and played the role of my own moving company.

That's mean, man. Mean.

I tell ya what, man, it was like a tree saying, "This year, I'm DEFINITELY not losing my leaves!" ... or a fish saying, "Enough of this water!"

You and piles of drums go together like peas and carrots. Just accept it.

Also, teach your wife to accept it. ;)

I tell ya what, man, it was like a tree saying, "This year, I'm DEFINITELY not losing my leaves!" ... or a fish saying, "Enough of this water!"

You and piles of drums go together like peas and carrots. Just accept it.

Also, teach your wife to accept it. ;)

I know. It's an addiction. Better than a real addiction to drugs, right? And the wife accepts it. She just doesn't see everything in one room at the same time since it's always moving around.

What you didn't see in the picture is a Yamaha PowerLite marching snare (11x13). When I played snare drum with the brass trio for my dad's funeral, the guys were really impressed and there's some talk that I may be available for other gigs doing the New Orleans snare drumming thing. So I had to find a casual marching snare that isn't like the modern marching snares the kids use today, and I found this Yamaha, put a coated head on it with wire snares and it sounds great for buzz rolls and all that stuff, especially brushes.

I would just like to bring this not-so-distantly-past thread up for an I-told-you-so examination in the harsh light of day.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88608&highlight=bo+eder

That is all.

Haaaaaah hahaha!!!!

It really makes me happy to know that no matter who you are, you're never immune to the GAS. My paycheck just went through so I'm shopping online for cymbal stands and the parts for my new custom snare.

Bo, if you ever discover custom gear you can kiss that spare space in your house goodbye. This'll be my 3rd custom snare. I keep telling myself that I don't care about resale because I'll never sell it. This can't end well...

Just never put everything together in one place like that. Then the response to any "where did that come from?" question can always be "this old thing, I've had it for like forever".

You can never own too many drums. Hey, I see enough carpet there, to accommodate at least another 3 kits.​
And indeed, a wise man never tells his wife she has too many shoes.​

I would just like to bring this not-so-distantly-past thread up for an I-told-you-so examination in the harsh light of day.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88608&highlight=bo+eder

That is all.
Humorously cruel :) Especially when you add it to the "I only need one kit" thread, lol!

Bo, seriously, you have what you need, then you have what you want. Bermuda doesn't need all those kits, but he likes to have them, they give him pleasure, & also choices. It's not necessary. I'm sure Bermuda could do 95% of his gigs with one setup, but why would you want to when you've got choices. It keeps things fresh for you, even if the audience couldn't give a damn. Same applies to great sounding drums. Sure, you can do that gig on a beater kit, & most of the audience won't care, & it's the player not the gear, yada yada -------- but at least half the reason you do what you do, is to please yourself. Even the top pro's have to get a pleasure feedback from their gear, otherwise it affects your creativity, etc, etc.

So let's see that carpet space filled up. & if "she who shall be obeyed" complains, your next gear purchase just got more expensive to the tune of some new shoes, etc. You did say you were thinking of bringing your better half to NAMM? Is she there as a form of credit control, or a feeble attempt at getting her enthusiastic about your gear? Either way, it doesn't work - I know ;) ;) ;)

Humorously cruel :) Especially when you add it to the "I only need one kit" thread, lol!

Bo, seriously, you have what you need, then you have what you want. Bermuda doesn't need all those kits, but he likes to have them, they give him pleasure, & also choices. It's not necessary. I'm sure Bermuda could do 95% of his gigs with one setup, but why would you want to when you've got choices. It keeps things fresh for you, even if the audience couldn't give a damn. Same applies to great sounding drums. Sure, you can do that gig on a beater kit, & most of the audience won't care, & it's the player not the gear, yada yada -------- but at least half the reason you do what you do, is to please yourself. Even the top pro's have to get a pleasure feedback from their gear, otherwise it affects your creativity, etc, etc.

So let's see that carpet space filled up. & if "she who shall be obeyed" complains, your next gear purchase just got more expensive to the tune of some new shoes, etc. You did say you were thinking of bringing your better half to NAMM? Is she there as a form of credit control, or a feeble attempt at getting her enthusiastic about your gear? Either way, it doesn't work - I know ;) ;) ;)

Actually, she's not complaining. She's aware that this is what makes me happy and it's all used to provide for our livlihood. Like I said, she's just never seen it all in one place. And no, she's no control freak. She's never been to the NAMM show and when I told her about the amount of "interesting people" to be seen there, she thought it would be cool to check out. So since I have this chance to bring her, I will. And I never say no to whatever she wants, we give-and-take all the time - probably why we've celebrated 20 years this past November. I do all the music performing and public speaking things. She does things like sky-diving, taking flights in fighter planes, and working with wild animals.

And she's enthusiastic about my gear. She really digs the big bass drum too. But she also knows when I'm not performing as good as I should - and she says so ;)

Yeah, my wife has the same reaction:

DSC03124.jpg

It's be funny if she was a regular on a discussion board web site called Shoe World and she posed the same question with photo to the participants...

Hmm, just think it seems like only a few months ago when you sold everything and we're going to subsist only with your tama snare. Those were the days. We knew it wouldn't last.

Back