Sonor Vintage Series-2015

When this was announced I tried to get information on it, but google kept giving me info about actual vintage Sonors.

I'm actually curious about this set myself!

I saw these at NAMM and fell in love with them. Very good build quality, as usual. But of course, when I tapped them, you can only hear so much in that noisy convention hall. But yeah, thin shells, rounded edges, it sounds like a win-win.

You could probably be the first to order one and let us all know how great it is!

After inspection of vintage drums and the Ludwig Club Date with the rounded edges, Sonor probably has a winner on their hands with this one. I'd get one in a second if I could afford it ;)

I thought the idea here from Sonor was a vintage (60's) look. Just like the ProLites are the same as the SQ2s Vintage Maple with sightly different bass drum tuning lugs and badges, it appeared to me that the Vintage series are the same as SQ2 vintage beech with 60's style teardrop hardware?

No?

There's a namm video of Steve Smith playing it and while his playing is awesome, the sound of the drums at namm are awful. It was the same with the little Martini kit he played. It sounded like crap in the namm space on a phone video which was promoted by Sonor.

Until someone posts a video with a simple zoom or some other adequate miking, it's just hype. I can only find a proper idea from a few sites, Portsmouth, Memphis, Lone Star and Dale's.

I don't see many drum companies posting good videos of their instruments.

Sonor has Chris Coleman talking all over the sound of the Birch Infinites and I find a video of someone playing them with simple recorderman style miking and sounding much better than the official Sonor video.

Head companies are guilty of this too. Try to find proper audio of Remo or Aquarian heads and it's not complete.

It shouldn't be up to the drum stores and cymbal sites to have to make their own recordings. I wish the manufacturers would just do it.

So, until someone buys a set and gets it properly on audio, it's just furniture.

It's like snare drum pictures from the side. If I want to see a snare drum, the bottom will tell me more about it than a side pic.

[/end of ran] Sorry.

The first spontaneous thought that comes to my mind is as simple as that, and it does not apply only to Sonor: they really don't know what to invent anymore
...reasonable assumption...tho, imho, the drum majors are merely chasing the dollars associated with the market segment with the most disposable income available - the so-called "boomers" - who pine for the nostalgia of the drums associated with their youth (which, of course, would make the new vintage sonors a tougher sell outside of germany)...

Talk about your curb appeal. Take away the aged looking creamy colored wrap and that bad to the bone script logo...change the cool teardrop lugs to tubes, put blue glitter wrap, with a nothing badge and it loses all it's luster. Who's your messiah now, see?

They do look so good though. The logo is just the bees knees. There's so many choices from all the companies out there, it boggles my mind on what to get. Everybody has cool stuff.

I so have enough drum stuff to last me for the rest of my days yet I can't help but be fascinated with all the cool stuff.

Here's the video Wally was talking about. I agree that for a German made Sonor, they're not really giving it a very good introduction. It's surprising really, they almost always have studio videos to go with the top end stuff. Then again, maybe they really are just that mediocre. *shrug*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWXGWMuT32Q

The first spontaneous thought that comes to my mind is as simple as that, and it does not apply only to Sonor: they really don't know what to invent anymore … It must be really hard to cope with market figures, balance sheet and P & L …

I don't think the vintage market is about innovation, ha.

The Sonor promo video for this line is exciting, however I'm looking forward to hearing a video done by Chicago Drum Exchange or Memphis Drum shop to get a better idea of how these sound. Of course I'd still prefer to hear them in person.
Also some of the guys over at the Sonormuseum are lamenting that there's so few choices for a finish. I have to agree with them on that as well as the lack of a tom mount on the bass drum.

I was walking by the Sonor booth at NAMM and heard the 14"x24" kick from the isle. I went into the booth to see what was making that sound. It was incredible. The kit sounded really warm and punchy. I think the toms were 13", 16", 18" in the aged white marine pearl. It wasn't until about a minute in that I realized it was Steve Smith jamming on them warming up for his showcase. That's how great I thought the Vintage Series sounded!

You guys are slow! I have owned a set, played it and sold it already. Nothing wrong with it just wanted a WMP one. Toms are lovely but I would go either the 18x14 or 22x14 bass.

Manny

What color was the first one?

What color was the first one?

Matt,

This color here. This one was at the Sonor 2015 NAMM booth.

20150321_231404-1.jpg

I sold it to a drummer in Boston. Very cool guy as I had previously sold him a Gretsch 18" bass drum.

Manny

Back