Need some more info on the Pearl DX series

Mitchdrums

I've read MANY threads about the Pearl DX series but still am confused about one thing, what wood are the drums made of?
Also would you recommend me buying a 7pce Pearl DX series including hardware, ludwig supra brass snare and 17 zildjian a crash, 17 paiste sig fast crash, 13 paiste sound formula med heavy hats and 20 sabian aax stage ride for $1025 delivered to my door?

This is what I found:
"made from birch and mahogany. DX drums were available in a wrapped finish, with the DLX drums available in a lacquered finish."

Yeah that's all I found too and people seem to contradict each other when speaking of the wood as some believe it is purely birch, some had maple or Lamin wood. Does it depend on the age?

From a Pearl catalogue http://www.drumarchive.com/pearl/Pearl1984.pdf: «Selected mahogany sandwiched by birch and lamin hardwood […]».

I owned a Pearl DX kit 10 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 20 around 1986-88, and it was a very nice set. I sold it to a friend who still plays it today. When I visit him I never miss the pleasure to play it a bit and still like it very much, even if the 12, 13 and 14 toms are power toms, which in general I do not like anymore.

I have a question is it Phillipene Mahogany?
The kit I'm buying is a 10, 12, ,13, 14, 16 22x16 and 14x6.5 Ludwig brass Supra with quality cymbals

I have a question is it Phillipene Mahogany?
The kit I'm buying is a 10, 12, ,13, 14, 16 22x16 and 14x6.5 Ludwig brass Supra with quality cymbals

It is, otherwise known as luan. Don't let that put you off, they're great drums and among the best sounding that Pearl ever produced in my opinion. Plenty of endorsers used them back in the day.

In the UK that price would probably cover the cymbals and snare (just) so you're not far off getting a free set of drums as long as cymbals/snare are in good condition, no cracks etc.

In Australia the snare would go for $400+, the cymbals approximately $600+ so yeah it sounds nice

They were certainly a birch mahogany mix.

And yes, Phillipene Mahogany is also called luan, and often just called mahogany by manufactures.

I would agree it's a pretty good deal with the snare and cymbals included. And then I realized you are in AUS, where drums tend be way more expensive. So factoring that in, wow, you got a great deal for all that.

Enjoy!

They were certainly a birch mahogany mix.

And yes, Phillipene Mahogany is also called luan, and often just called mahogany by manufactures.

I would agree it's a pretty good deal with the snare and cymbals included. And then I realized you are in AUS, where drums tend be way more expensive. So factoring that in, wow, you got a great deal for all that.

Enjoy!

Haha yep, the drum kit alone seems to go for $800 and the cymbals, snare goes for another $800-$900!

I will make sure I post something in "your place"

Back