Is this an amazing deal?

It is what it is, it is a well used drum from the 20's with pitting and rust.
If that is what you want then it is a diamond in the rough.
If you want a newer BB then you can get one for the same outlay.
I myself would prefer the new BB for the same cash.

I just thought the Ludwig drums from the 20's fetched into the thousands. I have no use for a snare drum that thin.

If it was in perfect condition and it was 5 or 6.5 inches deep then perhaps.
Thin vintage snare drums that are in poor condition don't have a lot of value.

Looks like expensive rusty piece of metal to me
If you were into the piece Larry, it's only really the plating on the hoops dragging it down. The shell itself, although pitted, doesn't look too bad. Those hoops would be easy to strip & re-chrome, although that would make them stand out too much from the shell IMO.

Larry,that drum actually predates the 20's.Mid teens,and they were offered with two different Strainers.

One was mounted on the top hoop and not to the shell.The other was a combination strainer and muffler.A model,B model.

The drum is a Ludwig&Ludwig orchestra model I think.Heavy brass two piece shell,welded at the center bead,where the two halves of the shell,overlapped.

That's a little too much for a 6 lug drum,but they do sound great.The 8 lug De Luxe,NOB(black beauty) or super Ludwig 20 era drums, do go for a lot more.But that seller asking price is a bit optimistic.

But they have Ludwig gold hardware,gun metal finish 8-10 lugs and are all ...hand engraved.

There are less of them around,because of the expence of owning one.But the Orchestra,Universal,and other nickle or chrome over brass drums,normally sell for 3-400 in excellent condition,but can be had for around 200 for a player.

Steve B

Back