My Camco Refurb with pix!

In December, I scored a Camco kit from Craigslist for $150. The kit had been in storage for 10-15 years and the guy just wanted to get rid of it. He also included some old stands with collar lock hardware and some Sabian AA hi hats and a 19" ride. The shells had been painted inside and out with auto paint, with the badges being lost in the process, so restoring them was not in the cards. So I took all the hardware off the drums, and filled and sanded, then filled and sanded some more. I ended up painting the insides white, and did a two tone faux wood-ish painted finish on the outside. I also put a pinstripe of 24k white gold in the middle of each drum. The hardware cleaned up very well, with only two small rust spots on on of the rims. I sold the cymbals, hardware, and black bass drum reso head for $340. I bought two sets of floor tom legs, new batter heads,and fiberskyn reso,and in the end the whole project cost me $70.00 total. I'm still tweaking them, but so far, they sound fat,warm, and have a nice vintage vibe. The sizes are 24/12/13/15. I was having trouble posting photos,so I started another thread asking for help with that. Thanks, Bo and others, for your help. The images might be a bit big, as I'm still figuring out the best way to post them, but here they are.....

Attachments

• IMG_1039.jpg
    IMG_1039.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 879
  • Camco2.jpg
    Camco2.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 838
  • Camco3.JPG
    Camco3.JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 886
  • Camco4.JPG
    Camco4.JPG
    174.9 KB · Views: 850
  • IMG_2760.JPG
    IMG_2760.JPG
    220.3 KB · Views: 866
Holy crap , that is ridiculously awesome in every way.
Great job and unbelievable kit for what was basically free.
I love that finish - you did something unique and yet still classy. Hats off to you sir.

I hear so many of these stories about great kits like this found in garages, attics, yards sales or on Craigslist...it makes me very jealous. :)

Neal

Those are simply gorgeous. Do you have experience with this kind of thing? Don't say its your first time around...Great work and what a deal!

Incredible kit! Love it in every way, finish, sizes, just stunning.

The only nit-pick I have is that there is no such thing as 24k white gold. 24k gold is pure gold and it is yellow. 18k white gold, certainly, 22k white gold, yes with the alloying agent being 8.3% palladium. But pure gold is always yellow.

I don't like two-tone drums, never have. But I love these. What a classy-looking set of drums; what an amazing and inspired job you've done.

Great stuff.

Incredible kit! Love it in every way, finish, sizes, just stunning.

The only nit-pick I have is that there is no such thing as 24k white gold. 24k gold is pure gold and it is yellow. 18k white gold, certainly, 22k white gold, yes with the alloying agent being 8.3% palladium. But pure gold is always yellow.

Thanks for the compliments- wow, good catch on the gold leaf, Sonny. It was actually a typo. The box of leaf says 23k. I make my living making art based on gilding ( hence my signature),so I'm used to working with color and detail. It is my first refurb of a drum kit. I did build and gild a telecaster previously.

Great job. I'm not sure if I speak for everyone on here or not but just based off of the great job you did on the drums I would like to see the guitar you did as well.

Holy crap , that is ridiculously awesome in every way.
Great job and unbelievable kit for what was basically free.
I love that finish - you did something unique and yet still classy. Hats off to you sir.

I hear so many of these stories about great kits like this found in garages, attics, yards sales or on Craigslist...it makes me very jealous. :)

Neal

He said it all. Wow

I just want to add my WOW to this, great looking kit, (and I hate the lugs!) great color combo. nice job and a huge score.

In December, I scored a Camco kit from Craigslist for $150. The kit had been in storage for 10-15 years and the guy just wanted to get rid of it. He also included some old stands with collar lock hardware and some Sabian AA hi hats and a 19" ride. The shells had been painted inside and out with auto paint, with the badges being lost in the process, so restoring them was not in the cards. So I took all the hardware off the drums, and filled and sanded, then filled and sanded some more. I ended up painting the insides white, and did a two tone faux wood-ish painted finish on the outside. I also put a pinstripe of 24k white gold in the middle of each drum. The hardware cleaned up very well, with only two small rust spots on on of the rims. I sold the cymbals, hardware, and black bass drum reso head for $340. I bought two sets of floor tom legs, new batter heads,and fiberskyn reso,and in the end the whole project cost me $70.00 total. I'm still tweaking them, but so far, they sound fat,warm, and have a nice vintage vibe. The sizes are 24/12/13/15. I was having trouble posting photos,so I started another thread asking for help with that. Thanks, Bo and others, for your help. The images might be a bit big, as I'm still figuring out the best way to post them, but here they are.....

Absolutely gorgeous.........

Stunning!...with that kind of craftsmanship you could probably make even the ugliest low quality shells look great. While the monetary cost was next to nothing, I'm sure the time you put into them wasn't...and time is money! But seriously...hats off to you sir . I too would like to hear them in action.

Beautiful, the white gold band really makes the two tone work. The earth tone colors are soothing to look at.

Back