Sound Proofing or V-Drum?

SpLaSsH

Alright guys, I have an accoustic kit but recently I moved into an apartment and I don't want to stop practicing. My budget is about 3000 dollars. It's better to sound proof my room or buy an electric kit? Thanks in advance ...

Even if you sound proof the room, there will still be some noise going on and you might have some complains.

Search this topic & you will get MORE than enough information to make an intelligent decision.

To give you a quick answer, you will 1) not be able to properly eliminate the low frequency (bass) in an apartment building regardless of how much money you throw at it and 2) you will spend more than $3000 for just the materials alone. Chances are your landlord will also be none-too-happy with you building a soundproof room inside of the apartment, so unless you can practice during the afternoon on weekdays when people are likely to be at work and not sleeping, you may want to invest in V-drums. I live in a townhouse and I have both an acoustic kit and v-drums but I play the e-kit much more just based on the time of day I have to practice/play. You can also get brushes, 'hot sticks' or muting pads that will help reduce the noise on your acoustic kit.
Good luck!

Get a V kit, soundproofing is very expensive as well as just a hassle and won't eliminate noise leakage completely.

Also i live in a town house but as long as the neighbours have dogs that bark their heads off all day i'm not gonna get an E-Kit!

If you have floorboards and thin walls V-drums are likely to be as ineffective as any limited soundproofing measures. The bass drum stomping goes through floors very easily. A riser that has vibration reducing features would be a possibility. It is of course possible to soundproof a room, even in an appartment, that would virtually eliminate any disturbance but would require a professional job that would be way beyond your budget. It's the worst thing about the instrument.

It would be near impossible to sound proof a room in an apartment.

V-drums would be much easier. Although you still may need to build an isolation riser to prevent vibrations from going into the floor, depending on what floor your on.

i would get a roland if i where you!

but check with the neighboures first!
you don't want to spend all your money on an e-kit and find out they still complaining!

my story:

i live in a house with my family as i am 11 and its attached to another house:( so i got a new kit for x-mas (premier cabria xpk) and that was all too much!

luckily my mum went round there and asked them if it was too loud just tell us.

so one day later a letter which said that there cuboards and plates where rattling! awesome! hahah is what i thought but then my lovely grandad gave me and my drums a home in his garage!! now elliot and the drums lived happily ever after, the END

MOOSE

Back