PDP Platinum Finishply, Pearl Masters Custom MCX, or Gretsch Renown Purewood?

A shell pack is the drums with heads and rims. Usually the tom mounts and floor tom legs. But no pedals, stands, racks, cymbals etc.

i like pearl there masters look great every pic i see i think man i want 1 now !!!.

If you are going for Gretsch and want good customer service from an independent music shop (not crap Musician's Friend stuff), then go to Indoor Storm and talk to Barry, the drum manager:

http://www.indoorstorm.com

They specialize in nicer equipment and have great customer service. They handle plenty of Gretsch products, and you can preview the exact drums via sound files.

I agree with Gruntersdad and others: PDP is utter, utter rubbish. Cheaply made, no resale value whatsoever. Go with either Gretsch or Pearl Masters--much better quality and reputation.

If you are going for Gretsch and want good customer service from an independent music shop (not crap Musician's Friend stuff), then go to Indoor Storm and talk to Barry, the drum manager:

http://www.indoorstorm.com

They specialize in nicer equipment and have great customer service. They handle plenty of Gretsch products, and you can preview the exact drums via sound files.

I agree with Gruntersdad and others: PDP is utter, utter rubbish. Cheaply made, no resale value whatsoever. Go with either Gretsch or Pearl Masters--much better quality and reputation.

I second this. Are you in NC, Robert?

i like pearl there masters look great every pic i see i think man i want 1 now !!!.

I don't know anything about the PDP's, but I have the Pearl Masters right now, and they're great-sounding drums. It's my first time using Pearl's mounting system, and it's been fine (although I'm not a fan of how they look mounted directly on the bass drum--mine are stand-mounted). And my five-piece kit didn't cost anywhere near $2500, even with the exchange rate going south (for Canadians anyway). I've played Renown Purewoods in the shop, and they sound great, too. But--the Purewoods are definitely more than the Masters. As someone else pointed out, you could get a Renown Maple--another great set--for a lot less. They're much more readily available and quite likely to be discounted. I had a Renown Maple kit (later traded)--paid less than $1,000 for a new four-piece. Wasn't crazy about the snare or tuning the five-lug mounted tom, but overall it had a powerful sound, and the Silver Slate Sparkle finish looked fantastic.

My question is, why limit yourself to these three kits? Ludwig, Tama, DW, Yamaha, etc. ALL make great drums for about the same price depending on what you're looking for. If you have up to $2500 to spend, any of the big drum companies can accomodate you, and you can make an informed buying decision.

My question is, why limit yourself to these three kits? Ludwig, Tama, DW, Yamaha, etc. ALL make great drums for about the same price depending on what you're looking for. If you have up to $2500 to spend, any of the big drum companies can accomodate you, and you can make an informed buying decision.

Well, I know of Tama Starclassic, and Yamaha Oak Custom and Absolute, but DW? Also, all these drums really only come in 4-5 piece shell packs, which doesn't really do it for me. If I were to buy any of these lines in a 6-7 piece shell pack, it would cost well over $2500, which is a bit much to start with. In terms of pricing for a 6-7 piece drumset, I'm hoping to find the best for the least, which I found in the PDP Platinum, and somewhat in the Gretsch Renowns.

Well, I know of Tama Starclassic, and Yamaha Oak Custom and Absolute, but DW? Also, all these drums really only come in 4-5 piece shell packs, which doesn't really do it for me. If I were to buy any of these lines in a 6-7 piece shell pack, it would cost well over $2500, which is a bit much to start with. In terms of pricing for a 6-7 piece drumset, I'm hoping to find the best for the least, which I found in the PDP Platinum, and somewhat in the Gretsch Renowns.
I'm sorry, I didn't take into account that you were looking for a 6-7 piece kit. That said, Ludwig will tailor make a set of Classic Maples in the sizes and configuration you want for less than your total budget. Definitely not a "cookie cutter" company offering pre-packaged shell packs. They're the most affordable pro drums on the market.

My main point is that there are countless choices out there. It sometimes dismays me to see drummers make snap decisions when buying gear. Whether it's a matter of availability, brand recognition, impatience, whatever, those snap decisions can come back to haunt you.

I think that Yamaha Drums can be ordered in any configuration without extra cost compared to a prepackaged kit(i.e either way you pay the sum of the individual drum costs.. I know that this is true of the Maple customs, and absolute series. Not sure about the oak customs but I think it applies as well.

Anyway, Why not save up the money first and when you are ready post here and we can point you to a great used kit on ebay.

Wayne

out of the pdp and gretsch..............
i would go with grestch for an allrounder!!!!
but i can't belive no one has metioned the mapex saturn or orion!!!
i'm in england so i don't know the prices of them but mapex are very nice drums!!!
and you can also add alot of things on the mapexs!!!!!!!!!!and one of the stock kits is a 7 piece!!!!!

TRY THEM OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOOSE

PDP X7 kits are coming in around $1000.00. They are poplar-shelled, if that makes a difference to you, but you are limited to the sizes of THAT configuration (8, 10, 12, 14, 16" toms, 5x14" snare, 18x22" kick), and I'm not sure where any add-ons could be bought if at all. If you want a little more selection, the Platinums and Renowns are your best option.

Not part of the original list, but Mapex Meridian Maple and Sonor Force 3007 also have a pretty wide selection, including 18"-24" bass drums.

PDP X7 kits are coming in around $1000.00. They are poplar-shelled, if that makes a difference to you, but you are limited to the sizes of THAT configuration (8, 10, 12, 14, 16" toms, 5x14" snare, 18x22" kick), and I'm not sure where any add-ons could be bought if at all. If you want a little more selection, the Platinums and Renowns are your best option.

Not part of the original list, but Mapex Meridian Maple and Sonor Force 3007 also have a pretty wide selection, including 18"-24" bass drums.

Haha, funny you should mention the X7, I mentioned it in my other thread in the "Your Gear" section and people jumped on it and told me how I could get WAAAYYY better for a little more cash. I have to agree with them, and I agree with the Platinums and Renowns. I'll look into the Meridians and Force 3007s, thanks for the tip!

Back