Hello and my kit

iamjohn

Hello everyone,

I'm a drummer who's been on a 20 year break.

I started out in drumming when I was about 13 years old in a Drum & Bugle Corps called the 27th Lancers from Revere, Mass. In my 20's I played the local clubs in Boston in an originals band in the early to mid 80's. Then I got a real job and gave up performing and for the most part drumming.

Now, I'm back. A couple of my old band members had the idea to put together an all acoustic Beatles tribute band and do some gigs. That's how I found myself back behind a drum kit feeling somewhat lost.

I decided to dedicate myself to getting my chops back and becoming the best drummer I can be at this stage of my life. I'm putting together my first drum kit (see my pics below) since about 1985. I have yet to get cymbals but I couldn't wait to post a pic.

Anyway, I'm glad to be here. I'm looking forward to talking drums with you all!

John

tayedrums2.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
tayedrums1.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

No replies? Geez, you guys are giving me a complex.

Ha, don't take it personally. This forum doesn't move as fast as some others out there. Plus the Introduce Yourself forum moves even slower.

Welcome! I play some Beatles tunes with my band and I use four toms as well. Do you find yourself using the whole kit to play and make the songs your own, or do you try and remain as faithful to the recording as possible? I'm somewhere in between; it depends on the song.

Any idea what kind of cymbals you'll get or when you'll get them?

Welcome to Drummerworld. Nice kit.​
A couple of my old band members had the idea to put together an all acoustic Beatles tribute band and do some gigs.
If you're gonna be in a Tribute band, I think you kinda need to get a kit that looks more like this.​

Attachments

• ringo-starr-set-up.jpg
    ringo-starr-set-up.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 210
Welcome to Drummerworld. Nice kit.​
If you're gonna be in a Tribute band, I think you kinda need to get a kit that looks more like this.​

+1

There's a local band around my area called "Thee Beatles".
The old drummer had a Pearl Export kit but he left to goto University. Then the new drummer has a Ludwig kit EXACTLY like that.

That's the true Ringo kit! Don't forgets the A's and K's too!

Whew! I feel better already. I know, I contemplated the Ringo kit but it came down to availability and I'm hoping to get other gigs now that I'm drumming again. Also, we're not doing the look alike, sound alike thing.

I haven't even played the kit with the group yet but I may be using these to record our demo soon. I was planning on only using the 12" mounted tom and dropping the 8" & 10" for this gig.

I've got a deal to buy a set of K Master Sound hats and a 21" Sweet Ride from a guy from craigslist. Should have those tomorrow. Still looking for an A Medium crash 17" or 18".

Thanks for the replies.

Hi, & a big welcome to the forum. I'm loving those drum sizes, just what I use. Like you, I took a long break (a bit more than 20 years), & getting back into it is the best thing I've done in a long time. Not easy getting those skills back, but oh so worth it. Remember, as your drumming stopped progressing, your ears didn't. Once you've shaken off the rust (takes longer than you think), you'll come back a better musician than you ever were. Good luck on your journey!

Thanks! I've been spending hours on the rudiments with my metronome. Somehow practicing is more fun now than it was way back then.

Looks like my ex Taye ProX set. Mine was the blue glass finish. Loved that birch set. Love the cymbals as well. Welcome to the forum.

Yeah, I think the ProX replaced the Tour Pro. The Tour Pro's are Birch-Basswood and I believe the ProX is as well.

Back