Probably My Favorite Setup

LukeSnyder

Gold Member
I think a 4 cymbal/4 drum setup is probably my favorite setup right now. Here's the setup I played out all last weekend:

148369_454896663345_322995898345_5328921_7249419_n.jpg

That rack tom is pretty far over to the right. How high is it, compared to your snare?

Also, what are the Paiste hats you're using?

Nice set-up, by the way!

Looks great, it's very much like mine except I have one more cymbal that I never use. How about some juicy details there? Sizes? What types of cymbals do you have there?

That rack tom is pretty far over to the right. How high is it, compared to your snare?

Also, what are the Paiste hats you're using?

Nice set-up, by the way!

Yeah, but I've found that I actually prefer to have it over to the right a little more, because it helps with some of the licks that I play, personal preference thing! Those are prototype hats, and I love em' to death. They sound amazingly clean and shimmery; they're my favorite hats, hands down!

Looks great, it's very much like mine except I have one more cymbal that I never use. How about some juicy details there? Sizes? What types of cymbals do you have there?

Well, lets see... the drum set is a Tama Imperialstar. Its actually not even mine, its the band's. Its a 22x20 bass, 16x16 floor, and I believe thats a 12x10 rack tom. The snare and cymbals are mine. The snare is a 14x4 custom spacer snare, it has no shell, and I would describe it as an amazingly loud, fairly dry, explosive snare. I have it tuned very high, and MAN does it "crack." I've got 14" Paiste prototypes, 16" AAX-plosion crash, 10" Avedis splash, and a 22" K custom medium thin dry complex ride. This setup gives me a wide range of sounds, and is really nice to work with, I like it!

I tried that setup (tom to far right over bass) a while ago after seeing Greg Eklund and Tre' Cool do something similar. I liked it but the tom scratched the crap out of my bass, so I had to quit. Cool setup man, I'm digging that ride too.

I tried that setup (tom to far right over bass) a while ago after seeing Greg Eklund and Tre' Cool do something similar. I liked it but the tom scratched the crap out of my bass, so I had to quit. Cool setup man, I'm digging that ride too.

Yeah, that can make it a little tough. I wind up having to put the tom a little higher so it it doesn't tear it up. Its worth it though, haha. Yeah, that ride is the best :) I've been very happy with it!

I am likely making the switch to this setup. I think by next week I will drop 1 rack tom and eventually the other floor tom. I just don't really use them that much. Pretty much only because they are there...

... the drum set is a Tama Imperialstar. Its actually not even mine, its the band's. Its a 22x20 bass, 16x16 floor, and I believe thats a 12x10 rack tom.

If it's the currently released Imperialstar (the successor of Swingstar), the kick shoud be 22x18 and the tom 12x9. If it's the discontinued Imperialstar from the 1980's, the kick should be 22x14 and the tom 12x8. But the tom holder shows it's the new version.

I am likely making the switch to this setup. I think by next week I will drop 1 rack tom and eventually the other floor tom. I just don't really use them that much. Pretty much only because they are there...

Do it! I feel the same way, if I have a larger setup, I really only use the other drums because they're sitting there, and it feels stupid to only be playing on half the kit, haha.

If it's the currently released Imperialstar (the successor of Swingstar), the kick shoud be 22x18 and the tom 12x9. If it's the discontinued Imperialstar from the 1980's, the kick should be 22x14 and the tom 12x8. But the tom holder shows it's the new version.

You sound like you know your stuff far better than I do! It probably is 22x18 and 12x9, I was just guessing from memory, because I don't really know. Thanks for the correction, and nice username ;)

Back